Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 5:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all of this depends on what you want to achieve, u could strive forever to learn the technique most relevant to whatever you want it to be, judo is a cleaned up sport version of ju jitsu (old style) enabling people to compete hard without maiming opponents. theres a purity in that.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liger
    Researching texts. Meanwhile...

Moving more towards the ball of the foot than the heel not only makes more sense, but considering footwork used with weapons, especially in kenjutsu, moving on the heel is fairly odd. Weapon use was of first priority until post warring states period, and most weapon footwork is closer to the balls of the feet. It's unlikely they would move to pivot on the heel footwork when they have MORE mobility since no yoroi is on.

http://www.wakagashira.com/images/yoroi1.jpg

How is this anything like a gi? hint: It's not
    It's my understanding that yoroi is primarily armour for mounted warriors, it looks very unwieldy for hand to hand combat. Considering that, and the fact that the only people resorting to grappling on the battlefield are probably people who've lost the use of their weapon... the idea of pivoting on the heel to conserve energy is ludicrous to me (even if it worked). You want to kill whoever's in front of you as quickly as possible or you're pretty much dead anyway.

But I'm no expert on medieval Japanese warfare.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Isn't pivoting on your heel a good way to increase the friction with the ground and the possibility of injuring your knee?
    You are correct. I've known dancers who have developed microfractures in their heels and painfull, irritated knees when trying to pivot like that. And consider that this was during something as harmless as dancing, not Judo. Doing that in judo == teh sux.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:03pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, God. Macho, you're avatar.... so...... hot......

Also, Judo already has a wicked high number for knee and ankle injuries as it is. (More than half of the older players at my club have them) so doing anything like heel-turning and other not-so-wise motions involving those areas in Judo is just something I'd rather not think about that.

Also, think about training while turning on your heels (injuries aren't just a thing of the 20th century) and add the weight of armor. I mean, those lil' samurai dudes must've had equally painful training injuries and if they train on heels IN ARMOR... well, let's just say I'm surprised any of them were out of ice-baths enough to fight anyone.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234