I believe you mean 'doing it.'

'Sex' is for making the little babies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 7:24pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only beef I have with XMA would be the shinny outfits. And that's already been addressed to death.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwdillon
    I don't have a problem with XMA because I've never seen it marketed as self defence. They are excellent athletes just like professional cheerleaders, i'f they have fun with it I say what's the harm (besides public image of the martial arts).
    see thats just it though. they might not say its going to help you defend yourself. billy blanks says the same ****. but we ALL know the implication is there. do you really think little johnny who can do a 720 spinning kick or whatever, does all this shouting and ****, DOESNT think hes also learning to fight? every fight you see on the tv involves guys flying across the room twisting through the air and its not like most of these middle class suburban kids have even seen a fucking real fight before let alone been involved in one. overconfidence in your ability is a dangerous thing, when that ability is being able to defend yourself from harm it becomes a shitload more dangerous. this is the problem I have with XMA.

because it sure as **** isnt called EXTREME MARTIAL ARTS in the hopes of cornering the hippy flower and beads market.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:27pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    see thats just it though. they might not say its going to help you defend yourself. billy blanks says the same ****. but we ALL know the implication is there. do you really think little johnny who can do a 720 spinning kick or whatever, does all this shouting and ****, DOESNT think hes also learning to fight? every fight you see on the tv involves guys flying across the room twisting through the air and its not like most of these middle class suburban kids have even seen a fucking real fight before let alone been involved in one. overconfidence in your ability is a dangerous thing, when that ability is being able to defend yourself from harm it becomes a shitload more dangerous. this is the problem I have with XMA.

because it sure as **** isnt called EXTREME MARTIAL ARTS in the hopes of cornering the hippy flower and beads market.
    :eusa_clap Agreed. I opened up yahoo.com on Feb 9th, 2007 (Today) and what us the local "news feed" deelee? "MARTIAL ARTS MASTER DOES AMAZING STUNTS AND FLIPS" Now if they said "AMAZING TRICKER or GYMNAST or CHEERLEADER or STUNTMAN" I'd be happy as a cla, but they didn't they chose "Martial arts Master" (He had a very pimped out purple and white gi ensemble with a good number of stripes on his worn out belt)

Now when Little Johnny Power Rangers Wannabe sees this or the Nat. Geographics "XMA THE EXTREME" (or whatever they called it) he's going to go to the next TKD or XMA dojang and sign his lil' self up all the while thinking he's the next Van Dam or Bruce Lee, able to take on not five but TEN NINJA WARRIORS at once.

The problem with that is
    A) Little Johnny COULD have taken up wrestling or Judo but isn't.
    B) Martial Arts continue to be seen as male cheerleaders
    C) Little Johnny will one day challenge a punk to a fight, get his ass handed to him which both degrades the respect martial arts get AND puts poor naive Little Johnny in the hospital.

Just because XMA-ers are more physically fit than the run-of-the-mill LARPer doesn't mean it isn't a bad influence. Just because it's a lesser evil doesn't mean it ISN'T evil.

(For the record, I love doing Capoeira but when anyone asks I calls its breaks dancings to a spicy Brazilian beat..... and all the hot girls.......)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. I've got some friends that are really into tricking, coming at it from a gymnastics point of view, and they think XMA is just about the dumest thing imaginable. They think, and rightly so, if you can do backflips and butterfly twists on the groud or off anything and everything in your path...why in gods name would you want to do **** that cool while holding some stupid plastic weapons?

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    XMA leans a little more to the "Arts" side of martial arts. Most of the XMA people I've come across are strictly in it for show and I've heard no such comments of them being good "fighters". I respect the skill and athleticism it takes to do the tricking and so forth.

I agree with most though, I don't see XMA teaching people how to fight, just how to perform really well.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and ive seen exactly the opposite. ever see that documentary? you could smell it on that guy and you can smell it on XMA guys you meet. even when they say "oh yeah its not for fighting" you can almost hear the little voice in their head saying "i could totally spinning kick this guy in the mouth"

it gives kids a false sense of being able to fight and makes it more likely that they are going to take a stupid risk against someone who has been round the block, and get fucked up. this is why XMA is plain bad- thats right people, XMA WANTS TO HURT YOUR CHILDREN.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    and ive seen exactly the opposite. ever see that documentary? you could smell it on that guy and you can smell it on XMA guys you meet. even when they say "oh yeah its not for fighting" you can almost hear the little voice in their head saying "i could totally spinning kick this guy in the mouth"

it gives kids a false sense of being able to fight and makes it more likely that they are going to take a stupid risk against someone who has been round the block, and get fucked up. this is why XMA is plain bad- thats right people, XMA WANTS TO HURT YOUR CHILDREN.
    Go back to wearing skimpy shorts and kicking men in the head. You're just jealous because you can't do an aerial kick and twirling a sword all the while covered in glitter and hair gel.

*EDITTED* Because this I found funnier
    Last edited by Ke?poFist; 2/09/2007 9:13pm at .
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Z
    **** man, chill.

You really need sex.
    Is this an offer? :spanky:

I sometimes like to cuddle afterwards though....that's not...weird...is it?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 9:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've never met an xma'er...the place i train at has extreme martial arts in its name but its only a facility that rents space to other teachers who teach specific stuff and have their own affilations like JKD, Shokotan, Kokodan Judo, Pancrase etc. no mixes. Never heard of XMAers talking about being teh deadly but i guess its the name that pisses me off without having met them, just imagine the conversation;

"what MA do you practice?"
    "Extreme Martial Arts"
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast