Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Kempo Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    519
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    finding a different art

    I was looking to find a new art to learn. I have been training 7 years in a style based in kempo with a mix of kickboxing, grappling, and filipino arts. I currently am a second degree black belt and manage a martial arts school. I am not learning much from my instructor as of late, Unfortunatley things have been more focused on the business rather than the art. I was looking for something realistic, effective, but also that still has all the philosophies and wisdom of the the martial arts. Just looking to get some input, because I'm goign crazy trying to find a good place/style.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    243
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I find that Muay Thai is not only effective, but it also has a lot of culture.

    However if you want the 'wisdom' and such, I think you're looking for full-contact karate: Enshin, Kyokushin, Ashihara etc.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    401
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish I could help. I'm a bit of a noob to martial arts. Maybe check out a good MMA school and do the spiritual stuff on the side.

  4. #4
    Neildo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Z
    However if you want the 'wisdom' and such, I think you're looking for full-contact karate: Enshin, Kyokushin, Ashihara etc.
    You forgot Daido Juku.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    243
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    You forgot Daido Juku.
    I forgot a ton, Kyokushin has so many offshots, there's no way I can remember them all.

    IMO, Daido Juku is hot **** though, and the best style of full-contact karate.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    384
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Guardian
    I was looking to find a new art to learn. I have been training 7 years in a style based in kempo with a mix of kickboxing, grappling, and filipino arts. I currently am a second degree black belt and manage a martial arts school. I am not learning much from my instructor as of late, Unfortunatley things have been more focused on the business rather than the art. I was looking for something realistic, effective, but also that still has all the philosophies and wisdom of the the martial arts. Just looking to get some input, because I'm goign crazy trying to find a good place/style.
    1st where are you located ? Have you tried a www.google.com search, or www.ask.com search for MA's schools in your area ? Also, what exactly are you wanting to learn ? Mauy Thai is good,(strong stand up) boxing,(good for hands) BJJ, JJ, or GJJ, Judo, if you want a good ground game, if you want to stick closer to, TMA/Karate look into Enshin Ryu, Kyokushin, Uechi Ryu, Wado Ryu, Shito Ryu, Shorin Ryu. Or go one better, and train in a few MA's. Its really up to you . Good Luck on your search. Also Welcome to Bullshido!

  7. #7
    ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Bullshido Newbie
    Doctor X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,380
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me to POOP ON!!

    Anyways, have you considered t3h grapple?

    Seriously. Since you have stand-up experience, why not consider one of the grappling arts? Culture? Judo is Japanese--cannot get more culture-obsessed that that! I have no knowledge of tradition with regards to, say, BJJ--other than they rent your back out to NASCAR and force you to pronounce "R" incorrectly . . . but, seriously, it would be a new thing that could only ADD to what you know now.

    --J.D.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    304
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems posted in the wrong forum...shouldn't it be in noobietown?

  9. #9
    International Man of Pancakes
    meataxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,706
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    For me to POOP ON!!

    Anyways, have you considered t3h grapple?

    Seriously. Since you have stand-up experience, why not consider one of the grappling arts? Culture? Judo is Japanese--cannot get more culture-obsessed that that! I have no knowledge of tradition with regards to, say, BJJ--other than they rent your back out to NASCAR and force you to pronounce "R" incorrectly . . . but, seriously, it would be a new thing that could only ADD to what you know now.

    --J.D.
    Brazil has culture too!


  10. #10
    ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Bullshido Newbie
    Doctor X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,380
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ wins again!!!11!!!

    --J.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO