221420 Bullies, 3898 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 236
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Wataboxa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    219

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:45am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    The standard is generally considered to be "What is effective in a fight," regardless of the venue (sport or 'street'). Yes, there are martial arts that are completely noneffective - most people don't study tai chi (as an example) for its combat applications, though, so it isn't a problem. The problem arises when a non-combat art (like Yellow Bamboo) claims to be effective self defense with practical applications in a fight.

    Chen Style Tai Chi is regarded as combat Tai Chi. I get your point but say the Chen Tai Chi guys kicks some other guys azz. Doesn't this vindicate or acutually validate this style as a combat style.


    Perhaps not, but rules are not disproved through the exceptions. Let me explain: if you take EVERYONE with 5 years of BJJ (which I've never studied, by the way) or MMA (which I've done 4 'classes' of) and EVERYONE with 5 years of any traditional art that does not pressure test it's techniques or concepts (assuming that is the ONLY MA training either person has) and get them to fight in any environment (sport or "street"), don't you think you can predict who is going to walk away at the end of most fights?
    I suppose. However, I don't assume anything when going into a fight other then it's a fight. I don't get into who has this or that. That may not be the total story or package.
  2. Wataboxa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    219

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:51am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    Your logic is flawed beyond belief.

    If a concept is flawed and a style displays that concept then by logical extension the style is flawed.

    A style that does not display that flaw is therefore inherently superior.

    2/10 - try again

    Wake up. I didn't mention style vs. style alone. There are moving beings involved here. That's my logic. So, fucc what you say you study. It's totally about the individual.
  3. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,287

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:52am

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Because at heart we're all very altruistic, loving people who shed a single tear every time we think of some 9 year old kid being given a TKD black belt, then trying to use what he learned and being put in the hospital by the bigger, stronger, meaner 12 year old kid. We do it for the children, we really do.

    But since you hate the children, and are probably a terrorist lover as well I understand why you wouldn't want us to help the children. Go on child hater, go teach the kids how to get themselves hurt.
    and that kids , is the true meaning of christmas .

    Well that and making full grown men cry because they are unable to stop you from taking the black belts or gold sashes from their bloated midsection's .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  4. OnceLost is offline
    OnceLost's Avatar

    Here's looking at you, squid.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    2,860

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:53am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To look at the merits of a style, you need to try to take the 'person' out of it. That's why I clarified that little experiment by saying that the BJJ/MMA training and the traditional training is the ONLY MA training the fighters are going to have. Yes, there are going to be differences in aggression, natural skill, intensity, athletic ability, etc, but remember - the exception does not disprove the rule.

    I know what you're saying about tai chi, I was trying to refer to a "martial art" that is generally recognized as not having combat application. You can substitute any "martial art" that is honest about not preparing people for fighting.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
  5. Wataboxa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    219

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:54am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    develop a sense of humour, stop taking yourself so seriously and try again

    What is it with these fucktards?
    Sense of Humor. Are you kidding me? If, I don't step to you like some juvenile ass wipe then grant me the same.
  6. OnceLost is offline
    OnceLost's Avatar

    Here's looking at you, squid.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    2,860

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:54am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's totally about the individual.
    No, it's not. Would someone with more experience than I have please lay out the concept behind the Gracie challenge of having smaller people with limited experience in GJJ tap new-comers to show them that it IS about the style, not jus the individual.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
  7. Hanniballistic is offline
    Hanniballistic's Avatar

    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,166

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:59am


     Style: JKD & Mok'bara

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    Wake up. I didn't mention style vs. style alone. There are moving beings involved here. That's my logic. So, fucc what you say you study. It's totally about the individual.
    Spoken like a true failure....

    I don't care how damn good you are at flower arranging you will not be able to beat someone in a fight with it.

    It is only about the individual when the other factors - in this case combat effectiveness - are comparable.

    So your logic is STILL flawed and now you have egg on your face.

    If you want a battle of wits you will have to look elsewhere - I don't fight unarmed people
  8. Hanniballistic is offline
    Hanniballistic's Avatar

    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,166

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:00am


     Style: JKD & Mok'bara

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    Sense of Humor. Are you kidding me? If, I don't step to you like some juvenile ass wipe then grant me the same.
    Then stop acting like one
  9. Wataboxa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    219

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:01am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    To look at the merits of a style, you need to try to take the 'person' out of it. That's why I clarified that little experiment by saying that the BJJ/MMA training and the traditional training is the ONLY MA training the fighters are going to have. Yes, there are going to be differences in aggression, natural skill, intensity, athletic ability, etc, but remember - the exception does not disprove the rule.

    I know what you're saying about tai chi, I was trying to refer to a "martial art" that is generally recognized as not having combat application. You can substitute any "martial art" that is honest about not preparing people for fighting.

    Again, it is about the person. I cannot remove the person. For instance. We do not spar at my School. Which is cool with me. Sparing at all isn't. So, me and brothers take it upon ourselves to do so outside of class. Which, my sifu doesn't mind at all. You take your art/training to where you would like not where your Sifu or training curriculum says.
  10. Ryu_Yagami is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    262

    Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:01am


     Style: KrottyCrappleAnimeLARPing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    Sense of Humor. Are you kidding me? If, I don't step to you like some juvenile ass wipe then grant me the same.
    You shouldn't take yourself seriously on the internets. You'll only get raped harder.
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.