Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy birthday, HearWa. Now, will you demonstrate a jump spinning hook kick for us?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:39pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Does this practice further devalue the black belt or does it serve to get children interested in MA (even a popular no-contact kicky one)?
    Yes it does devalue the BB.

1.Most MA's today are light to no contact, even as wataboxa said in his school (no contact at all). Thats not a Martial Art... it is merely and art form. It is void of any use for protection.

2. If you do get a child to start MA's from such a pathetic school it holds no value, once again you have a child with no real knowledge, on how to properly defend their self.

3. We talk about ego, well I dont agree with calling a 6yr old kid "Sir", and anyone thinking that doesn't influence a kids ego, you need a Cat Scan.

The definition of Martial is simple :
    soldierly: (of persons) befitting a warrior; "a military bearing"
    warlike: suggesting war or military life
    As I stated the "Martial" has been removed from the arts. "Martial" is the usefull side of MA's. It is what dictates the ability to actually defend your person in war like manner. So, most MA's today fall pitifully short of their once true meaning, though belts (for rank) really did not exist as they do today, it is the idea of what a Black Belt is supposed to represent, honor, dedication, discipline, and ferocity.
    Last edited by Uechidude; 2/09/2007 12:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:48pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy Birthday HearWa, may you have many, many more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:50pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    breaking flimsy boards "shows" their friends they can kick ass... at least when kids are that young and impressionable. it's an esteem booster but i will admit it also very dangerous to allow a kid think that way. i remember when i was younger my friend was in karate and because i saw him fighting in class i wanted to fight him myself. needless to say i kicked his ass.

a black belt has no meaning in soceity to day. with the advent of MMA, there's really no such thing anymore.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...you won't be attending HearWa's party, I guess?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:07pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubble
    breaking flimsy boards "shows" their friends they can kick ass... at least when kids are that young and impressionable. it's an esteem booster but i will admit it also very dangerous to allow a kid think that way. i remember when i was younger my friend was in karate and because i saw him fighting in class i wanted to fight him myself. needless to say i kicked his ass.

a black belt has no meaning in soceity to day. with the advent of MMA, there's really no such thing anymore.
    Same thing happened to a TKD BB "friend" of a friend of mine back in teenage days. But he was real full of himself. Had a whole wall of plaques, trophies and all that. He got into an argument with said friend and promptly got his ass handed to him. Twice. And I still partially believed that TKD could work in a real fight after seeing this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    We all know that the worth of a black belt has depreciated due, in part, to the number of martial arts schools, especially popular styles such as TKD and ke?po, that hand them out to 6 year olds and anyone willing to pay the testing fee (plus separate belt and certificate fees). This thread is about the MA Birthday Party idea of making the birthday boy (or girl) a Black Belt for a day.
    Thank the Maker my Granson was happy with a visit to Chucky Cheese...

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:26pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy birthday. My objection to black belt for a day is based on the crassness of the sales pitch. "You see how great it felt to be black belt for a day! Well if you sign our tots to master's program with $5,000 down within a couple years, every day will be black belt day!"

Kid: "uumm, birthday cake every day!"

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's a gimmick to get the kids to join up so one they they can have a black belt.

With that, they are basically taking something that is supposed to represent hard work, blood, sweat, tears, etc., and turn it into I promotinal item. Kind of like how Comcast sucks you into their services with a low introductory price and then sticks it to you once that period ends (plus they are pretty much a monopoly but that's a completely seperate issue).

Off Topic: Thinking of changing my avitar for the week to this:

What do you guys think?

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 2:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too many clothes, not enough skin. Other than that, I like.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast