Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:03am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

In need of new blood at Chinese Sanda school..

Oke, it's like this...

I work as an English teacher in Chongqing, China and am studying Sanda/Shuaijiao at the same time. I had been looking around in China for several years trying to find a place that teaches how to fight AND is not only trying to screw me over (Like most Chinese).

What I found was far better than my expectations. The place is quite traditional (Training methods and martial culture) and the people all have great spirit and work hard. The teachers are really great and give both motivation and insight on everything. They are not your typical egotistical arsehole and are open to foreign things, admitting freely that Sanda is not exactly a TCMA and that CMA have been mostly killed off or butchered beyond recognition. They receive no profit from the Sanda and do it only because it is their passion. They fund the operation with Taekwondo lessons.

The leader of the school (Shifu) is a very generous man and his main job is teaching the police. He cares about only one thing: MA. When his students work hard, he is satisfied. Only through our loss of sweat and blood can we impress him. I came here by chance and have been studying here now for several months. It's a breath of fresh air in a world where MA are dwindling into extinction.

BUT... There is a problem. Conflicting schedules... The Sanda students have normal class or work during the day so they study in the evenings and the weekends. My Shifu has assured me that after this winter holiday (Where we train every afternoon of every day) he will find someone (One of his "brothers" who studied under the same master in Sichuan) to train me from Monday to Friday during the day (As I have class during the evening).

The only inherent problem is that there will be a lack of other students to regularly train with. The teachers here believe in only one thing: That the only way a technique's effectiveness can be proven is by "taking it to the ring", which is Bullshido's Law (If I am not mistaken). Infact, most of the Qinna techniques that I studied were rendered completely useless until I decided to combine them with Shuaijiao (IE, first take them down and then "tie them down with pain". The only way that I could have realised this is through this full contact experience.

But only fighting with your teacher, even if it is full contact and you learn a lot, can lead to bad habits and the classroom experience is not there. So here I am: This is Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker calling out for some serious people to get over here and train with us. If you need a job you can get one at the school where I work (Teaching English). The job is 20 hours a week and the salary makes your living standards here very high. This offer never expires so get your arses over here. ;) - O, and you can learn Chinese at the same time.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker OUT
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/09/2007 8:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:10am

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhm. I'll be there tommorow. How far of a walk is China from Toronto anyways?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 4:45am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome anytime. That depends on your condition and some outside factors. Tell me your qualifications and I'll let you know if you can make the cut (About the job).

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/09/2007 8:38am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:15pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw... I just came back home from China two months ago..
    You should have said this earlier!

Although I was in Tianjin, so I guess to far anyway. :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 7:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by urasj
    Aw... I just came back home from China two months ago..
    You should have said this earlier!

Although I was in Tianjin, so I guess to far anyway. :P
    Ja, Tianjin is a short haul away. Did you find anything there?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    Uhm. I'll be there tommorow. How far of a walk is China from Toronto anyways?

It'll only take you a couple of weeks, but you'll have to learn how to walk on water first.

MaartenSFS,

Don't worry about working out with just your teacher, at least for quite a while. If he is as good as he says he is, you'll find he can adjust what he's doing at will to the point you think you were working out with an entirely different person.

At the very least, if he is as good as you say he is, he'll recognize the problem himself and figure out a way to guide you to other partners.

Until it's a problem, I say go for it! Its sounds like your situation is something to be envious of.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 7:41pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Don't worry about working out with just your teacher, at least for quite a while. If he is as good as he says he is, you'll find he can adjust what he's doing at will to the point you think you were working out with an entirely different person.

At the very least, if he is as good as you say he is, he'll recognize the problem himself and figure out a way to guide you to other partners.

Until it's a problem, I say go for it! Its sounds like your situation is something to be envious of.
    Hm.. I agree with you. Though he doesn't specifically say that he is so good, I know he is. Anyways, this would only be about four months until I take off two months in the summer to train with them every day. It's going to be forty degrees plus every day! There is a reason that they call this one of the three furnaces of China. That will condition me, all right. ;)

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:06pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving this to the CMA forum. Would be a better fit for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Moving this to the CMA forum. Would be a better fit for it.
    Ja.. Sorry. I thought that the striking forum meant any styles falling under striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 2:23am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have thought about doing this as a way of training a few things in China before but have never really looked into it seriously. What sort of qualifications do you need for the English Teacher job... is it more than a pulse? I really want to learn Chinese too.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast