Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Why did you tell this man to jog for 30 minutes when he's training for combat specificity? I know I fight at between 60-80% perceived effort for a half an hour to several hours on end, but he doesn't have to.
    Lots of people do roadwork or other 'steady state' cardio. It helps with recovery time so you can get more training time in on the anaerobic stuff.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Why did you tell this man to jog for 30 minutes when he's training for combat specificity? I know I fight at between 60-80% perceived effort for a half an hour to several hours on end, but he doesn't have to.

BTW, I often fight wet paper bags and makiwara boards to prove my superiority over them. Moving on up!
    roadwork, it's a part of any serious fighter's training program.

the reason i say 30 minutes 3-4 days a week it that running for any longer will not help him any in the ring.

also note that he is doing interval training during his running which will help him maintain explosive energy during his fight.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 11:14am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: Crossfit allows for subs if you havent got the equipment. If you are a newbie to GPP training (forgive me , but I think you probably are judging by your questions) then go to www.crossfit.com, have a look on the right hand side of the page for affiliates, and find Brand X MArtial Arts. They offer a 'scaled down' crossfit programme, which is a good way to get into the whole crossfit thing. It's a seriously good programme, but it takes sometime for you to be able to do the exercises as 'prescribed'. I stopped after 9 months as I started boxing in addition to the TKD and couldn't take the intensity of all 3 activities- but I'm pretty old. Still use some of the workouts though. Be careful - its addictive. Not sure I agree with lots of roadwork past the first flush of youth - too much likelihood of injury.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add to what others have already said...I also currently do crossfit workouts and they are a kick in the ass!

Highly recommended.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 1:44pm

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i recommend splitting wood with a maul. It may be hard being in a city to find trees to cut down, but where i live i cut and split wood for my neighbors for the winter months and i get one hell of a workout by time im done.

Also traditional training can be lumped into many fitness catagories all depending on what your target goal is. If stamina is your goal then hitting a tire wont cut it, but swimming with a drag on ya for about 10-20 laps will definately do the trick.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sledehammer training would be similar right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 4:06pm

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a sledge you bounce off and with a maul you have to work it out of the wood or use a sledge to finish driving it through.... or you could just do it the old fashion way and use an axe and hack at it till it falls apart.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123