Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 12:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechidude
    I have seen Instrucotrs teach one on one here in Fl for $75 per hour. I would do it for $40 per hour, but this instructor has a bit more experience than I do.This also leads to, do you have enough instructors so you can teach private lessons, or do you do it on your free time ? It would be better if you could do it during class hours. There are always several variables to consider. That is where a good solid business plan has to come into effect.
    the black belt at my BJJ school charges $100 per hour of private lessons the brown belts charge $70

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 1:12am

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would be helpful to have a forum for school management. Our group just started a new business (more like a club) last fall, I think we could use some pointers from people running more established schools. Its also nice to know what potential students are looking for. There are a lot of good topics we can discuss: financial management, how to attract and keep students, curriculum, and a lot of other good topics.

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 10:45am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cost of my Spanish tutorial, $35 an hour.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 11:43am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The going rate for personal trainers is anywhere from $50 and up. My wife pays $60.

Her personal trainer does not put her own body at risk to provide her service (as far as I know). I charge $50 for MA/BJJ instruction personally.

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 11:46am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using the going rate for personal trainers at the local gyms would be a good number for the average martial arts teacher. Lets see, in my area $50-60 will buy you an hour of massage therapy.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 11:59am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJJ
    The going rate for personal trainers is anywhere from $50 and up. My wife pays $60.

Her personal trainer does not put her own body at risk to provide her service (as far as I know). I charge $50 for MA/BJJ instruction personally.
    In LA it is more like $100 and up

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 12:30pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind the free market determining how much people should pay for good training.

The problem is when people think they're getting good training, and are paying ridiculous amounts of money for stuff that's honestly pure garbage. So the amount of money charged should be secondary to the quality of the training provided.

I'd probably pay $500 for a 2 hour personal session with Marcello Garcia or Eddie Bravo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 2:05pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great idea. It would be great to have a school managment section. I manage a school for a living. I will help as much as I can.

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I don't mind the free market determining how much people should pay for good training.

The problem is when people think they're getting good training, and are paying ridiculous amounts of money for stuff that's honestly pure garbage. So the amount of money charged should be secondary to the quality of the training provided.

I'd probably pay $500 for a 2 hour personal session with Marcello Garcia or Eddie Bravo.
    Part of the free market (not that I believe any market is in reality free) is consumer groups that advocate market changes and reform. We could be the premier such group if we go about it wisely.

It's less a matter of what you would pay for High level individual instruction and more a matter of what basic school tuition should be.

It less about what YOU can learn from Eddie Bravo and more about what minimum circulum shound be.

Oliver may have been right somewhat in his college anaolgy. Perhaps things should be thought of in terms of "credit-hours" : hours of classroom instruction, sparring, homework, additional conditioning. Then you can start talking about somebies CV in a way that their are standards

Once you adjust this for cost of living in a particular area it would not be hard to come up with a median range of fees for good instruction. If your school has gym facilites you can adjust the "lab fees" in.

I've got no problem with personal trainers charging top dollar for private lessons. They worked goddamn hard to be worth your hundreds of bucks. Or maybe not. In which case they will be picked to peices on a thread here. nuff said

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 3:05pm

Style: Bar Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this idea. Not only could this be used by school owners and instructors, but also by potential students as a measuring stick when scouting MA schools. That way they can find out this such as averages in contract length, training costs, ect. Also the privite lessions would be a big thing w/ me in scouting a MA school.

Just my noobish two cents.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast