Posted On:
    3/02/2007 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    El Macho,

What exactly is your problem? I'm allowed to voice my opinions in MY school review.
    Conversely, El Macho is also allowed to voice his opinions in your school review.

You have no right to question what I believe. NONE!
    He certainly does, if verifiable evidence suggests that what you believe is false. People have every right to question what others believe and require them to provide substantiating proof; if you think otherwise, you won't last long here (or anywhere else critical thinking is placed at a premium.)
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 'Iron Wolves' are hilarious, only one of the listed fighters has any kind of record that can be easily found and the little blurb about them is laughable, full of misspellings and talking about a 'vision quest' ROFL.

Only fighter of theirs who has a real record is Neil Broadbent, 1-1

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...ighterID=15271

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 9:17am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hindsight is 20/20

Disclaimer: I am no longer training at Syracuse Martial Arts Academy. However given the benefit of my training after leaving the school I feel I can give a more accurate review.

Aliveness: 2
    -Mostly compliant partner drills. In the Wing Chun class 95% one step drills. Chi Sao etc. Sifu Anthony (Cheung Style) has moved away from sparring and cross training since having become a disciple of Sifu John Crescione.
    -Kali, entirely sinewali, sombrata. Minimal free form work, and very little application. Guro Eric Winfree (Inosanto Kali)
    -JKD, never took the class, however from what I observed it is a large amount of conditioning. As a note, all JKD students can also train in Kali for free.

Equipment: 6
    -Good mats through the front half of a very sizable space. SMA is currently located off of Erie Blvd. an arterial route in Syracuse in an old mattress showroom. 11-12 foot ceilings, linoleum throughout. Three Mook-Jong and a decent selection of training equipment. The floor at the rear of the school is left bare for the Kali classes.

Gym Size: 8
    Just under 5,000 square feet the facility is much more then is required by the current student body. Large mat area for JKD/Wing Chun is more then sufficient and the back half of the school comfortably handles Kali with no fear of hitting the walls or ceiling or other students.

Instructor Student Ratio: 4-8
    Instructor student ratio varies wildly from class to class and art to art. Wing Chun is frequently taught either by Sifu Anthony himself or by one of the senior students. Often the senior most student opens class and Sifu runs the class. In Kali Guro Eric rarely teaches directly preferring to allow his senior, Norm, teach. However Guro Eric is available for questions during class. On an idle Sunday it is not unheard of to have two students and an instructor.

Atmosphere/Attitude: X
    Another point hard to quantify. The school environment is very accepting of new students, and can feel very "homy" however there is a fair amount of other style bashing, and drama, especially where Phil Elmore is concerned. On a good day it's a great place to train. On a bad day, it's a terrible place to train and it varies day to day. More good then bad, but....

Striking: 4
    Wing Chun striking, trapping range, limited boxing drills.
    JKD, never took it but based on observation seems to have a boxing-esque feel
    Kali, little bit of empty hand but it's done as static two man drills.

Grappling: 1-2
    Grappling is taught to blue sash and up students by Guro Eric Winfree who is currently training under Guro Kevin Seamen of Western New York MMA. Guro Eric has (to the best of my knowledge) no formal rank in a grappling style, and teaches JKD grappling as created and taught by Guro Seamen. Not the place to go for grappling. Ever.

Weapons: 5
    Kali, Inosanto blend. Decent instruction however the lack of sparring and applicability really hampers student growth. Also the rigid Kung Fu teaching style used by Guro Eric makes for a stagnant learning enviroment.

Other Notes: SMA uses the Educational Funding Company as their third party billing. Once you sign the contract it is adhesive, final and binding. You will not get out of your contract. BEWARE: you will NOT be able to cancel your contract short of moving 70+ miles from the school. One year minimum.

Costs: $95 month and up. While the variety of styles is good, it can get expensive. To take two styles, it's $120 and up.

Syracuse Martial Arts is not a bad school. However the teachers have an antiquated approach to teaching Martial Arts made worse by Sifu Anthony regressing after becoming a disciple. If your going to train here take either JKD or JKD and Wing Chun. This is the easiest way to maximize your class time for the least amount of money as all JKD students can also train Kali for free. However this does not work the other way around! Kali students can not train JKD for free!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny how this happens so often.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 10:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow lets take a look at the current style field.

*checks*

Yep BJJ and Judo alive arts will do that to you. That's why I stay away.

Kung Fu 4 EVAH!!!

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 2:30pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really tried to keep the review unbiased, I hope I succeed.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345