Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Randy Couture Really Deserve a Title Shot?

Everyone,

Good afternoon!

I think the UFC seriously is about to lose credibility for allowing Randy Couture
    to come right out of retirement and get an immediate title shot. I have the utmost
    respect for Randy, I just believe that title shots should be earned by fighting up the
    ranks in respective divisions.

I think Brandon Vera deserves a title shot at Silvia way before Couture. I understand there
    is a lot of money to be made but this is ridiculous. How can the UFC claim to be a legitamate
    fighting organization if it seems to give title shots at random and without logic? That goes
    for the TUF TV show too. The TUF winners should only get a prize and a contract.

Giving title shots to fighters who have not paid their dues in their respective weight classes
    cheapens the sport in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents. What say ye?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At random?
    Randy has held the HW belt and the LHW belt. While a tune up fight might have been nice he certainly deserves a prompt match, just like cro cop would.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasaurus
    Everyone,

Good afternoon!

I think the UFC seriously is about to lose credibility for allowing Randy Couture
    to come right out of retirement and get an immediate title shot. I have the utmost
    respect for Randy, I just believe that title shots should be earned by fighting up the
    ranks in respective divisions.

I think Brandon Vera deserves a title shot at Silvia way before Couture. I understand there
    is a lot of money to be made but this is ridiculous. How can the UFC claim to be a legitamate
    fighting organization if it seems to give title shots at random and without logic? That goes
    for the TUF TV show too. The TUF winners should only get a prize and a contract. (:jerkit2yf )

Giving title shots to fighters who have not paid their dues in their respective weight classes
    cheapens the sport in my opinion
    . :jerkit2yf :jerkit2yf :jerkit2yf

Just my 2 cents. What say ye?
    Me say you are seriously retarded. Randy has paid his dues in the HW and LW division by having been the champ in both. For you to say he hasn't it's craptacular at best.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is reasonable to argue that he should fight up through some of the current contenders but he certainly, merely by returning, gets ranked pretty high.

As for the TUF4 guys, they all have paid their dues. That was the point of the show.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the great replies.

It still seems to me that there is a line formed
    to get legitimate title shots. Retirement to me is
    getting out of line in which case, you must go
    to the back of the line, behind the other up and comers before you
    should get a title fight.

El Macho, essentially, your argument appears to be that Randy
    should get a shot based on his past, not more recent accomplishments.

You can throw the jackoff icon all you want, but logically, it only makes
    sense to give those fighters who have been fighting up the ranks a fair shot
    first. Randy did not retire with a title, he retired after he lost. Normally, this
    would mean he would have to fight his way up the ranks again to get another
    title shot.

Especially in another weight class.

TUF Fighters pay their dues? These are good fighters but they try out as I understand
    it. I don't think prior fight records have much to do with it. Again, what is the point of
    having fighters in your organization if there is no consistent, logical progression up the chain after winning in your wieght class?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TUF Fighters pay their dues? These are good fighters but they try out as I understand
    it. I don't think prior fight records have much to do with it.
    TUF 4 was called 'The Comeback' and featured only fighters who had previously fought in the UFC, some of them quite a lot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pointy,

True that. TUF 4 was all vets. I definitely concede that point. I am mainly referring
    to the other 3. Again, there were some exceptional fighters that came from those shows.

I am only speaking to the process of getting a fair shot at a title. I respect all of the fighters
    who make it to the UFC. I watch quite a few of our local shows. There are some really good
    fighters who have been fighting for peanuts for quite some time who haven't made it to
    the bigger shows yet.

It is definitely a hard business.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, Alasaurus, dude, the guys who participated in TUF 4 weren't a bunch of newcomers. And I don't recall anyone from the priors TUF shows that have had a cakewalk, much less a free-for-all offer for a title shot.

As for Randy, Upa got it right. There should have been a few bouts against the current contenders. But this is no ordinary man in US MMA history. And this is not gratituous nutriding. This is fact.

I do not see any of the current contenders complaining that Randy got the title shot. ****, I bet many of them would feel honored to fight him for a title shot were he to win the title and would not be bothered the least that he's coming out of retirement ready to fight Tim for the belt.

The fact that he's been pushed to the front of the line does not remove the status of the others as contenders. Whoever wins (Randy or Tim) is just one another roadblock between the rest of the contenders and the title belt. And dealing roadblocks is what these guys do.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pointy,

True that. TUF 4 was all vets. I definitely concede that point. I am mainly referring
    to the other 3.
    Again, there were some exceptional fighters that came from those shows.

I am only speaking to the process of getting a fair shot at a title. I respect all of the fighters
    who make it to the UFC. I watch quite a few of our local shows. There are some really good
    fighters who have been fighting for peanuts for quite some time who haven't made it to
    the bigger shows yet.

It is definitely a hard business.
    Since you are referring to unfair shots to the title, please name the fighters from TUF 1, 2 and 3 who have received a title shot without paying their dues.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 4:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho,

Your point is well taken. Randy is definitely an icon.

I thought that all TUF final contenders got a title shot. I
    appear to be mistaken. I guess that was only for TUF 4.

I definitely need to get my facts straight. Well, for the record, I hope
    Randy wins.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast