Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 12:33pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Oh, nothing big. Just internet drama. A blackbelt somehow managed to piss off his instructor enough to have him strip him of his blackbelt and down to brown. The former blackbelt tried to enter the competition as a brown belt but was denied in the brown belt division because he had already competed at black belt.

Some of his students mistook this for the organisers trying to shut out people from another organisation and started some internet drama. It all turned out pretty well.

Might be a question for a different thread but has anyone ever heard of someone being stripped of their rank in BJJ before?
    Do you know why exactly he was demoted?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 12:55pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.

And my getting beat by Ralf Carneborn twice in the same tournament in the white belt division trumphs your measly six-year submission wrestler.

edit - Meaning-reversing error corrected.
    Last edited by MEGALEF; 2/10/2007 2:35pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 1:09pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Hmm, this debate is getting kind of intriguing. How would you feel to be a legitimate purple with maybe 6 years experience, and when you show up to the worlds, you get paired against a Gracie with 14 years experience? Sure, it's understandable that the Gracies set high standards for their family, but this seems like a sanbagging matchup if you look at it just based on mat time.

Also, since I'm not a BJJ guy, I'll ask an uneducated question. If someone enters a BJJ tournament, but are not BJJ, must they enter as a white belt? Say someone with an AJJ, catch wrestling, or sambo background entered, and was a mid or high level player within their discipline. Would they enter as a BJJ white? Just curious how this was handled.
    You guys talk like Gracies havent been beat in competition before.

Ralek as a purple, tore through the competition at Machado's open in 2003, only to be stopped at the absolute by Mike Fowler, who was smaller than him.

Ralek didn't really start training I'm told till he was 12 or 13 seriously. He's a Brown now.

Rener also came in 3rd in 2003 at the Pan Ams in the Blackbelt division.

They are great fighters as a family, and we owe the state of Martial Arts to them, but they have been beaten before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:09am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    What happened?

I know NAGA specifically allows exactly this, entering a "higher" division and then also entering your "real" division. Of course, who's to say which is which for any one competitor.
    Doesn't NAGA run their divisions high to low and if you win a high you are automatically removed from the lower division?

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree you shouldn't drop down because you can't hang at your belt level. However I've seen guys in my club encouraged to give it a try at the blue belt level as white belts, or the purple belt level as blue belts. I think its a good way to see where you stand. But you shouldn't lose the ability to compete at your own level just because you want to see if you can hang in the purple belt division. But if you are good enough, its lame to go own a bunch of people you know you are better than.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 11:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think its bad to try fighting up a division, especially if you have been a belt for a while and want to see what the next level is like competitively. There seems to be more of a problem with no-gi divisions. Cause, you know, you can't count the time I spent sleeping while I was wrestling as time spent grappling, so I'm probably a beginner.

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still remember my first NAGA no gi match ever. Novice division. Says right on there no wrestlers. My first match,guy comes out with a neck that has more muscles then my whole body, in a singlet, with wrestling shoes. Throws me with a body lock, and tells me "Don't worry, I'll let you work a while before I tap you" while I'm struggling horribly to get my guard.

At least he was nice and tapped me without damaging me. I'd say he wasn't a novice. He did win the division though.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 9:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate wrestlers/grapplers with obvious experience who enter the beginners' division just to take home a freaking plastic medal

ps: hi, I'm new here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234