Posted On:
    4/20/2007 6:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jan.....

He will get better and better and then Crook Sah Gimp will announce that
    they now have "Brah-Jee-Uhn Yoosool". You can't tell me that the Holy Advent
    of the Jool Bohng wasn't brought about by someone else....then stolen....then
    given to the Living ATM's for their amusement and Crook Sah Gimp's wallet.

I bet letting non-official swords at tournaments hurt Crook Sah Gimp. I mean,
    $350.00 for a piece of **** aluminum DULL blade is criminal. Either that or he has
    partial ownership in some of these companies that make the better blades for
    a lot less.

And don't even get me started on "master" Rudy Timmerman.....who finally
    left. Again, the only one worth anything was Marlin Sims. End of story.

...and Jay Lee was right up there with him. When Salt and Pepper left Kuk Sool,
    all hope was lost. Welcome to The Korean McDojo Blackbelt Cookie Cutter Factory!
    Last edited by jkdbuck76; 4/20/2007 6:47am at .
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, if I may...

The question, "Can X style be saved?" is a common for all TMA's, IMO. And the more I think about it, the more I think the answer is yes. We, collectively, are big on hyping how "it's not the style it's the training methodology." Well is it or not? If it is, than any legit style (one must admit there are some styles that are so fabricated and based on faulty principles and techniques that they are not and never have been legit fighting arts) can be saved by properly training it. That still begs the following question, though...

The problem is, you can go and study some arts that are already alive, so why bother.
    Quite true. And, in some cases very applicable. There are, after all, many schools and gyms of styles that already train right. They are easier to find (than the elusive TKD school that is the exception to all the other ones that suck) and have a higher standard of quality control. And to be honest, for someone just starting out, I would recommend a good gym or solid traditional style like Judo 99% of the time. But for those of us who have already spent time learning something like TKD or KSW, there is reason to train what we have learned correctly, rather than just scrapping it all and doing KB.

First of all, it's easier to make what we have learned work (which it can) than just start over. Second there is a whole repertoire of technique available to us that, though they can sometimes be gimmicky, are not available in something like KB. Those can be very useful techniques to have. They can surprise an opponent in the ring, or give extra options to our response to a SD situation. Furthermore, some of the more traditional training methods still have something to offer when added to a proper training regimen (note, the problem with some of those traditional training methods is when they are used APART from a proper training regimen).

As an anecdote, Ronin (who used to post/mod here) did some iron palm training. In writing his review of said training he made it very clear that it was something that did not substitute for real fighting ability. It was something to improve his game (which he claimed it did). But he didn't recommend it for someone who didn't already have knockout power in his hands. That type of basic fighting skill must be developed first. When it is, then a traditional training method like IP can actually be useful.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    There are, after all, many schools and gyms of styles that already train right. They are easier to find (than the elusive TKD school that is the exception to all the other ones that suck) and have a higher standard of quality control. And to be honest, for someone just starting out, I would recommend a good gym or solid traditional style like Judo 99% of the time.
    I agree with this to a point. However, in this modern day and age, not many people are looking to be the next UFC champion or have the notion to get into the ring just to mix it up. While judo is a fantastic art it is not something say a 36 year old or 40 year old, who has never done a martial art in his life, can just go into. Arts that are going to have a lot of contact may not be suitable for a professional business man who needs to keep a "clean" appearance while conducting his every day business.

Needless to say there are a number of reasons why people get into the martial arts. I know of a person who takes it simply because they enjoy the positive atmosphere that they are training in. The key point that you mentioned, and needs to be stressed over all, is higher standard of quality control. Schools need to quit blowing sunshine up people's asses and let them know that they need to to do better with their training. There is nothing wrong with coaching and pushing these people to their limits to produce a better quality martial artist. You can still have a healthy bottom line along with good martial artists if you do it correctly.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly. My opinion is definitely biased towards a SD/fighting perspective.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2007 11:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    You can't tell me that the Holy Advent
    of the Jool Bohng wasn't brought about by someone else....then stolen....then
    given to the Living ATM's for their amusement and Crook Sah Gimp's wallet.
    I can.

Ssang Jeol Bong (it's not jool or jewel, don't get me started on that again...) have been used for quite a while by Koreans. However, they were always thug weapons, and not likely to have been learned as a formal weapon by Kuksanim.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 10:31am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how much truth there is to it, but rumor has it Kuksanim was a thug growing up.

Posted On:
    4/21/2007 11:32am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weren't we all?

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 12:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet he had to have money. Weren't hapkido classes pretty
    expensive back then? And if he learned KMA, I'm sure there
    was a price attached.

He knows stuff that just don't look like regular MA. All the
    animal stuff and weapons. Errant108, any input on this?

Was Kuksanim a practicioner of Korean kung fu styles?

p.s. Jool Bohng is what they called it and how WKSWA spelled it....
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 12:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    I can.

Ssang Jeol Bong (it's not jool or jewel, don't get me started on that again...) have been used for quite a while by Koreans. However, they were always thug weapons, and not likely to have been learned as a formal weapon by Kuksanim.

How long? decades or centuries?
    SEANBABY:

Posted On:
    4/23/2007 12:09pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was Kuksanim a practicioner of Korean kung fu styles?
    Evidently, he was, it's just been impossible to figure out what. He claims to have learned Yi Dynasty military arts, yet his stuff looks nothing like what is found in the Muyedobotongji. A lot of it has a "I made this stuff up" feel to it, because it doesn't resemble actual Korean kung fu. The hyung of Guksul look to me like kung fu movements put onto a karate chassis.

p.s. Jool Bohng is what they called it and how WKSWA spelled it....
    I know. Ask Wolf what happened on MAP when I told them they were wrong.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast