Sponsored Links Spacer Image

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 2:27pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Bullshit to the extreme! Work out like you do your sport, as mentioned above, in my post. Judo matches go for a maximum of blank amount of time? Then all your workouts should last blank amount of time. Do squats with your feet together, just like when you throw, train specificity. I haven't been to enough tournys to see how long Judo matches actually last. At the dojo, we just go for like a minute and a half, regardless of the score.
    This is the sort of training I usually see athletes do before they get a good coach. After 20 minutes you will have depleted glycogen in the body and you will stress the cardiovascular system (and burn fat). If Grabby is a bit chubby, or wants to improve his endurance then longer training is what is needed.

Short, intense training is how to improve power, but it looks like Monday and Friday are the endurance days for GMW.

As for specificity, it might be better to do actual judo, rather than judo-like squats. Grabby's workout is cross-training so why make it identical to core training?

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 3:09am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooh, we have an old timey advice guy here. Do you believe in the secret "fat burning" zone? Do you believe you can't build endurance using a short workout? You are extremely wrong and left in the shadows my friend. Let's see: www.rosstraining.com Ross here almost never works out for more than 20 minutes. Why is he so ripped? He's also a boxer, that lasts a **** lot longer in a fight than you ever will. Another one from my post:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emboesso
    Mackie Shilstone, I haven't heard that name in 20 years. His innovative training (at the time anyway) was largely responsible for Michael Spinks becoming the first light heavyweight champion to ever capture the heavyweight championship as well.

In 1985 he handled Spinks beautifully preparing him for Larry Holmes. At the end of each round Spinks returned to his corner looking like he was about to die. One minute later he was back on his feet for the next round completely refreshed. How?

As Shilstone was carefully helping Spinks bulk up another 25 lbs, he had him training in three minute "sprints" with one minute recovery times. Not just sparring, but also the running, the weight lifting, etc. Everything was done "all out" for three minutes, and resumed one minute later. Simple, but brilliant.

As late as 1985, weight-lifting was frowned upon by traditional trainers. When word got out that Spinks was lifting it just drove the odds against up even further. Conventional wisdom was that he was doomed.

Of course it helped that Holmes' aging right hand was inert during that first fight, and IMO Holmes was the clear winner of the rematch. Still, Spinks was on his feet for 30 rounds against Holmes, something almost nobody thought was possible.

To back that up,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Take a whole bunch of exercises. Med ball slams, BW stuff, sandbag stuff, water balls, kegs, www.rosstraining.com stuff. Test your maxes in a bunch of lifts. Preferably power lifts like power cleans and snatches. Half that. Each total rep count(half your max) counts for 1 point.

10 minutes to warm up, 10-30 minutes to rack up as many points as you can. You can even break it down into rounds, like 5X3 minutes with a minute rest in between, trying to up the point total in each round. The unstable objects will help your clinch, and guarantee you can call on your strength in any situation. The full body power lifts will help you be explosive up to the final rounds, while maintaining technique. The program also lets you know that your in better overall shape each workout, as long as you increase your points.

Do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday, after your skill work, then do tabata intervals the other days, and rest Sunday. Take a week off before the fight. You can alternate tabata power punching, power kicking, speed punching, and speed kicking, and work your clinch moves instead of resting.

Oh **** son, some more people gaining endurance without taking all day? Gloycogen systems be damned!

Quote:
    20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, 4 minutes. Work:Total Sprint. All you've got.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46324

Man, doing your sport is one thing, like technique, but strengthening yourself with a workout built around it is another, let's review:

Quote:
    **** man, train LIKE you fight. What's the basics of training for a sport? Here's an excerpt from my PDF article I'm making? Think people don't train this way? Search Youtube for your favorite professional fighter(especially if it's Snowman) and see for yourself.

There should be no training "muscles". There should only be "Performance Training", training specificity towards your goal, sport or hobby in question. Ask yourself how much your training looks and feels like your sport. Ask yourself again every time you workout. When you drift too far away, just come back to the basics. You know what they are:

Doing your sport w/weight, doing your sport under band tension(hooked to whatever angle you wish to strengthen), as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Seperating the movements that occur during your sport into seperate exercises and performing them w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Doing basic exercises that mimic everyday actions w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Doing prehabilitation(injury prevention) exercises for freak occurances in the sport and aiding in everyday life w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Strengthening body reaction muscles that directly aid your sport w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

And plain old doing your sport, concentrating and really doing it, not going through the motions, digging deep and going as hard as you can. Paying attention and listening to every word from those who know more than you about it, taking lessons, and always asking for help on something that you know not about. Don't stray too far from the basics, and always look at your workout and see if it runs like your sport. Does it go as fast? Are the movements the same, or close? Let's hope you know the difference.

To back that up:

Quote:
    Simply put, there is no "phase" to go through to gain enough muscle for your sport. You train for your sport. Yes, punching with dumbells or wrist weights is generally retarded, because you'll develop muscle patterns that hold the weight up and resist the new gravitational pull formed downward and cause an overcorrection when the time comes to punch an opponent without weight.

The weight I speak of is supplied by bands or a weight vest. Grapple with your own self made grappling dummy with a weight vest on, and it'll simulate how heavy you feel when the going gets tough. Nothing has changed except your perceived bodyweight. Result? Speed and specific strength.

What movements, unstable objects wha? The weight in question, explained:

Quote:
    It starts on the ground, and goes to one shoulder, chest, hip or overhead, but like all objects, it starts on the ground. If you want to get started indoors and you've got a bigger size wallet I'd start here www.sandbagstrength.com and http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/budget.html

Good luck, and always train how you fight.

BTW, I just want to clarify, I have virtually no striking instruction, so my at least with my striking game, I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag, so who wants to grapple with me?

Specificity: A virtual hydroelectric bomb to your **** filled theories:

Quote:
    You can do your workout just like the bagwork. Just like the fight. 5X3 minute rounds, with X number of reps in X exercises counting as points. Focus on full body movements and odd objects to help your clinch. Burpees, snatches and power cleans w/sandbag or keg, band work, pullups, dips, clap pushups, med ball slams, that kind of thing. Finish your session w/a carry to help that clinch. Ask yourself how much your training looks like how you fight.

Having striking instuction tell you nothing about how to train. Just look at an old boxer's playbook and see how they trained. All of the greats thought you punched with your arms, and did billions of fucking curls, even though they were taught that a punch begins with the feet, and a quick twist. It's fucking bullshit. If you don't believe a word Ross says your the biggest idiot in the world. And if you ignore my posts, you'll be ignoring awesomeness, and quick victory.

Now we've gone over my post above, and displayed your dumbassness for the world to see. **** your unfounded unscientific theories you internet keyboard whore, I'm tired of your old disproven advice!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12