Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 11:11pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opinion of my conditioning plan

Hi Peepul,

Well, with the arrival of my daughter (3 weeks old now) I have not been able to continue with my MA training. I gave myself a 3 months break/hiatus from training to take care of the little one and will (hopefully resume) my training in Apr'07.

I live in an apartment and have devised a plan to keep my physical standard until I resume training. Below is my plan, please provide your criticism or opinions, thanks. My objective is to maintain my overall fitness so that when I return to Judo again in Apr'07 I do not have to gassed out.

Monday: (1 hour workout)
    i) Shadowbox - 10 minutes
    ii) Stair-master (a cross btw a threadmill and stationary bike) - 10 minutes
    iii) Shadowbox - 10 minutes
    iv) Stair-master (a cross btw a threadmill and stationary bike) - 10 minutes
    v) Shadowbox - 10 minutes
    vi) Stair-master - go light as part of cool-down - 10 minutes

Tuesday: (1 hour workout)
    i) Calisthenics (Judo Taisho) - 10 minutes
    ii) Stomach Crunch - 6 sets of 15 reps
    iii) Reverse Bicylcle (lying on back) - 3 sets of 30 revolutions
    iv) Bridge and rolls - 3 sets of 10 reps (left and right)
    v) Repeat from ii) to iv) until 1 hour time is up.

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday: (1 hour work-out)
    i) Calisthenics (Judo Taisho) - 10 minutes
    ii) Push-up - 6 sets of 5 reps (my push-up is done slowly, not the jerky type)
    iii) Stair-master (a cross btw a threadmill and stationary bike) - 10 minutes
    iv) Burpees - 6 sets of 5 reps
    v) Stair-master (a cross btw a threadmill and stationary bike) - 10 minutes
    vi) Squats - 1o sets of 10 reps
    Vii) Stair-master - go light as part of cool-down - 10 minutes

Friday
    Same as Monday

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Same as Tuesday

Thanks in advance.

GMW

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:32am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 4:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    I don't quite follow you... sorry.

GMW

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then start walking faster, or eat my dust.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 9:15am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Then start walking faster, or eat my dust.
    :bsflag:

Heh, to be honest, I didn't quite follow why you posted workout advice in a nutrition thread. Did I miss something in another thread that linked Mackie Shilstone's nutrition advice to ross boxing?

FWIW, I'm not saying the content is wrong or ineffective, just very out of context for the thread.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm giving him my longest post on conditioning, so I don't have to re type myself. I was using those quoted posts of myself originally for a giant rebuttal to Bullshido in general, for the mass amount of posters that said I don't know anything. But instead of showing up the people that did, I just made myself an ass on someone's thread. But that's what Bullshido forums are about. Being an ass. Right Alex?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calisthenics (Judo Taisho) - 10 minutes
    Bridge and rolls
    Squats
    Stomach Crunch

^Nothing wrong with that stuff. The rest is just gonna kill time, if your thing is Judo preperation.

Not sure what Judo Taisho is exactly, but I'd be concerned with putting yourself in the wierd positions in which you find yourself while grappling. In particular, stretch and condition the neck and back in the positions in which your folded, twisted, and bent.

Cuz the bottom line is that none of that will prevent you from gassing upon your return. I've found (cuz I'm the master of lay-offs) is that a great deal of soreness CAN be prevented. So get cracking with bridges, and reverse somersaults etc.
    Last edited by Nid; 2/15/2007 3:16pm at .

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 4:03pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GMW,

The one thing I would question is why you need to alternate stairmaster with shadowboxing. Aerobic exercise gives the greatest benefit to endurance if you maintain an elevated heartrate for an extended period. The real cardiovascular benefits start *after* 20min.

If you are alternate to stop from being bored, then I'd suggest using a heartrate monitor to ensure you stay at your target heartrate.

Personally, I don't like the stairmaster, but it should work OK if you are able to hit your target heartrate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTEKein Haar]Not sure what Judo Taisho is exactly, but I'd be concerned with putting yourself in the wierd positions in which you find yourself while grappling. In particular, stretch and condition the neck and back in the positions in which your folded, twisted, and bent.

Cuz the bottom line is that none of that will prevent you from gassing upon your return. I've found (cuz I'm the master of lay-offs) is that a great deal of soreness CAN be prevented. So get cracking with bridges, and reverse somersaults etc.[/QUOTE]
    Judo taisho is just calisthenics.

Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    The one thing I would question is why you need to alternate stairmaster with shadowboxing. Aerobic exercise gives the greatest benefit to endurance if you maintain an elevated heartrate for an extended period. The real cardiovascular benefits start *after* 20min.
    Just to spice things up... Boredom will ruin a workout. I can't possibly do shadow box for like 15 minutes without boredom setting in, neither can stair-master. Hmm... perhaps, if I put my TV infront of my stair-master, it could decrease the boredom factor.

The reason who i do shadow-box and stair-master are plainly for cardio workout.

GMW

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 5:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    GMW,

If you are alternate to stop from being bored, then I'd suggest using a heartrate monitor to ensure you stay at your target heartrate.

Personally, I don't like the stairmaster, but it should work OK if you are able to hit your target heartrate.
    Bullshit to the extreme! Work out like you do your sport, as mentioned above, in my post. Judo matches go for a maximum of blank amount of time? Then all your workouts should last blank amount of time. Do squats with your feet together, just like when you throw, train specificity. I haven't been to enough tournys to see how long Judo matches actually last. At the dojo, we just go for like a minute and a half, regardless of the score.

Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    Calisthenics (Judo Taisho) - 10 minutes
    Bridge and rolls
    Squats
    Stomach Crunch

^Nothing wrong with that stuff. The rest is just gonna kill time, if your thing is Judo preperation.

Not sure what Judo Taisho is exactly, but I'd be concerned with putting yourself in the wierd positions in which you find yourself while grappling. In particular, stretch and condition the neck and back in the positions in which your folded, twisted, and bent.

Cuz the bottom line is that none of that will prevent you from gassing upon your return. I've found (cuz I'm the master of lay-offs) is that a great deal of soreness CAN be prevented. So get cracking with bridges, and reverse somersaults etc.
    I have this feeling your gonna love sandbags, water balls, kegs, and bodyweight. The unusual stuff sloshes around like your opponent's body during a match(wanna hear a funny story? I have a friend who works out with his girlfriend because he's too lazy to build the tools above). The bodyweight simulates the matwork. I also have a friend that has replaced burpees in his program with zempo kaiten ukemi, done on a concrete floor. Re-read my post, gather those points, and train specificity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast