Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:06pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, and here I thought 20/100 was pretty terrible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:10pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PRK is generally a good option for people with thinner corneas or lower prescriptions as it eliminates some of the potential risks of LASIK. Also, depending on use - PRK is the preferred surgery type vs. lasik if you're military e.g. PRK is permitted for SEALS and divers, but LASIK is not - at least on the most recent restrictions I've seen. Reason being that LASIK affects the pressure integrity of your eye which for most people is a non-issue but obviously for divers and SEALs - not the case. Quick technique recap - they scrape off the surface of your eye, using a tool that looks like a miniature car polishing head, then laser. You get a temporary protective contact fitted over your eye to protect the surface and it (the procedure) hurts like a mother-fucker for the first 2-3 days after.

LASIK - thin cross-slice of the cornea to make a flap, lift, laser, flip shut. It will usually seal very quickly at the edges of the flap, and so post-op pain diminishes very quickly. But you need to be more careful of your eye as the flap can be disrupted fairly easily for the 6 months following.

So activities where you might get hit in the eye - lasik not so good. Or, below the neck point sparring for 6 months :eusa_sick

12 diopters of correction is around the current upper limit of correction for LASIK. Undesirable for PRK as thats a lot of eye grinding and lasering....
    Last edited by Marrt; 2/08/2007 1:12pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yet another refractive eye surgery to consider is Lasek (e instead of i). It is kind of in between Lasik and PRK.
    As has been stated, in Lasik a relatively thick flap is cut (preferably with a laser, as opposed to a keratome), whereas in PRK no flap is cut. In Lasek the top layer of corneal cell is removed with alcohol. After the laser resurfacing this mass of cells is put back and serves as "biological band aid" (these cells will eventually die and be replaced by new ones). Hence the healing is quicker than with straight PRK. If something goes wrong with the removed cells, Lasek reverts to PRK.
    So, similar to PRK, Lasek avoids flap related problem, but takes a little more time to heal than Lasik (but not as long as PRK).
    I was under the impression that the USMC allows/recommends/pays for Lasek -- but could be wrong.
    Btw., I had Lasek done and I am highly satisfied.

-- Evil
    Last edited by evil_e; 2/08/2007 4:02pm at .

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:07am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All branches pay for Lasik I heard. ****! I wanted to see if I had it in me for SEALS, but it seems I either choose contacts, glasses or fucking laser contacts. How permanent is that procedure? Anyone gotten that procedure? Does it bother you as much as real contacts because I'd blow my head off if I had to wear my contacts for more than 24 hours straight. How's the Lasek do on the eye pressure sensitivity/them letting me do SEALS/doing MA scale?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 2:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Nah, it's not that bad. The biggest problem my vision causes is that I can't read the signs till I get close to them and thus usually require a navigator when going somewhere new or I miss turns and have to backtrack. For a while I wore glasses while driving but I found that I became dependant on them quite rapidly and when I didnt have them I felt really blind. I think they actually made my overall vision worse.
    am i the only person who found this kind of odd? if you cant read signs on the side of the road and need someone to navigate for you that probably means you should do something. lenses etc. they arent expensive. how did you pass your driving test, or where your eyes passable back then?

oh and it isnt where they are making your vision worse, its that they make it so much better that when you go back to not using glasses you realise how fucking appalling your eyesight is.

to the OP, go read up on contact lenses. ive been hit in the face real hard while wearing them and had no problems, ive been in the middle of some rough as guts surf and theyve been fine too. lenses are a good option, i cant say much for the surgically inserted ones but it sounds like a good idea. lasik, as has been mentioned, isnt recommended for people who are going to be rough housing. all the eye doctors ive talked to and all the recommendations ive heard have said that anyway.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I passed my driving test by wearing glasses when the vision part came up. I suppose they didnt notice that and my liscense is not marked in any special way, go me.

I'm not convinced that glasses didnt make my eyesight worse. Certainly there was the contrast thing fucking with me but I literally got to the point where I could barely do anything without them, when they broke I was terrified to drive anywhere because I couldnt see ****. After about a day or two I had readjusted and felt fine without them. I don;t think going from being able to not see **** to being able to see ok is a psycho-somatic realization of "my vision sucks". :)

At any rate, I can see signs just fine, I simply can;t read the text on them until I get fairly close :)

I've no intentions of getting glasses or contacts, i'm just going "deal" with it till i get it fixed,

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 2:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you realise with contacts it takes you like 3 minutes in the morning and you have perfect (relatively) vision all day. then you wouldnt have to "deal" with it.

you must have super fucked up eyes if it takes you days to readjust :/

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not comfortable with sticking something in my eye :) I really don't think I could do it.

I put "deal" in quotations because I really dont feel like I am dealing with anything. Having to get a little closer to a sign then someone with "normal" vision isnt exactly a life altering disability.

I have no idea how long it took me to readjust to not wearing glasses when I stopped wearing them. That was like 4 years ago :) Don't take me literally. I do very much recall not being able to see anything unless I was pretty much right on top of it immdiettly after I stopped wearing glasses (because my pair broke). Now I can see things well enough. Like I said, I can tag a milk jug at a hundred yards with iron sights from a rifle. Most people with 20/20 can't do that.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 2/09/2007 4:05am at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 4:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first time i tried putting contact lenses in i was blinking like crazy. took me 3 days before i could do that ****. its kind of worrying now, like ive broken my blinking reflex for when **** comes towards my eyes :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 9:46am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    All branches pay for Lasik I heard. ****! I wanted to see if I had it in me for SEALS, but it seems I either choose contacts, glasses or fucking laser contacts. How permanent is that procedure? Anyone gotten that procedure? Does it bother you as much as real contacts because I'd blow my head off if I had to wear my contacts for more than 24 hours straight. How's the Lasek do on the eye pressure sensitivity/them letting me do SEALS/doing MA scale?
    Lasek is pretty new as a procedure (and we're talking new in medical terms so first developed in '99 - now getting wider-spread takeup). I haven't seen anything that approves it (or limits it either though), and as it doesn't impact the "integrity" of your eye in the way that Lasik does you may be fine and it limits some of the other side-effects that can be seen with LASIK - dry eyes, night vision problems etc.

You also need to be careful about who you get whatever procedure done with and make sure you get a certificate explaining the procedure you had done and you may need to produce pre and post op examination materials if they're evaluating it.

If you're concerned, go with PRK, hurts more for a couple of days but is a known entity and the most widely approved procedure. People talk about the extended recovery time vs. LASIK etc but I didn't find it a problem at all - you're just a little more cautious for a few months. (although the first person who popped me in the eye when I started back into training just about got their head ripped off). Certificate commentary above is still applicable.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast