Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:21pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have normal corneas, its the amount of laser reshaping required to make my corneas 'normal' that is the problem. =)

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:24pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    i have normal corneas, its the amount of laser reshaping required to make my corneas 'normal' that is the problem. =)
    Still, ask your optometrist about PRK.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I don't know, i got an eye exam one time bout 8 years ago and they said I was 20/80 and 20/100 in the right and left eye respectively. I dont wear corrective lenses now though because I found I became dependant on them to a degree that made me really uncomfortable.

They didnt mention any astigmatisms or anything to my recollection.
    ahm

you're like, blind. You should wear something. At least to drive.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 11:17pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, it's not that bad. The biggest problem my vision causes is that I can't read the signs till I get close to them and thus usually require a navigator when going somewhere new or I miss turns and have to backtrack. For a while I wore glasses while driving but I found that I became dependant on them quite rapidly and when I didnt have them I felt really blind. I think they actually made my overall vision worse.

Anyways, I can see objects and motion they're simply blurry shapes and colors. IE, If I know there is a milk jug and it's approx location at 100 yards I can shoot it with Iron sites from an AR-15. I simply couldnt identify it as a milk jug at that distance because it'd be a vague blurry some kind of thing of thing.

Ashly will vouch that I am an excellent driver that has saved our lives from many dumb drivers on several occasions.

Like the other day we were driving somewhere on the interstate, going about 75. We drive through this cloud of smoke which wasn't obstructing view or anything as it was relatively dissapated and I'm like "what the hell? So we go about a quarter mile further and there's another denser cloud of smoke. We clear that and suddenly there's a car dead stopped in the middle of the interestate. There was no way we could stop, we were toast.

So in that split second I checked my rear view, checked my side view and swerved hard right into another lane. I felt us go up on two wheels when I made that turn. But I saved our asses, we would have been dead.

I've avoided other wrecks like that that would have sucked mightily but that was the one that would have killed us.

Also I can play airsoft and ****, I can't read very far down the optomestrists chart but I can shoot a muh-fucker.

Oh man that reminds of this time in 5th grade where we were doing mandatory vision tests and the teacher that was giving them actually got pissed off at me and asked me if I knew the alphabet because I just kept getting every letter wrong. I assume she thought i was being a smartass, if I could go back in time I'd slap that bitch in the mouth. She didnt question my vision at all. I didnt learn just how poor it was for several years.

I do find my vision problems to be annoying from time to time though. I have to get closer to people in airsoft to identify friendly or foe and usually wind up getting shot and a man in camo that sits more or less still turns completely invisible at a distance. So thats why I want to get it corrected.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 11:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn. I only have astigmatism. My Optomitrist actually told me my eyes are 20/19 when I'm wearing my glasses.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:45am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me until I was 12 to get glasses, my parents ignored all the signs, including the fact that they both are blind. Once I get in the military, there's a signup list for free Lasik, it's just the waiting time that kills you. If it's free, it's free. I'm not all that blind. I just permanently broke my glasses and am waiting for the my birth control glasses at boot camp, and now sometimes I'll go entire days without putting in my contacts because I'm lazy. Look! DDR!

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 10:00am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty fucking blind (4-5x as blind as Kat). I also have an astigmatism. My vision, however, is still correctable to 20/20 or better. The tests the Army did on me pre-basic listed me as a very good candidate for eye surgery. 20/80 and 20/100 (assuming there's nothing strange wrong with your eyes) pretty much sound like a eye doctor's wet dream in terms of surgical correctability.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think we had a thread a while back where we decided that lasik was a bad idea for combat sports athletes, as any impact or rubbing of the eye, post-lasik would risk damaging the eye.

if i recall correctly, the best idea was not to say to the eye doctor "i'm a martial artist, can i safely have lasik done." but to rather say "i box and wrestle, can i safely get lasik done"

when i put it that way, my doctor said that it was a bad idea for me.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:51pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    20/100 it not bad a at all.

I am 20/440 (legally blind without my contact lenses) and I am still an acceptable candidate for LASIK. I can barely navigate a room without corrective lenses.

At 20/700 they tell you "no" flat-out.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast