Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:08pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Insertable contact lenses

So i've been thinking of doing the lasik surgery for some time, and finally got off my duff and had a consult today.

Apparently because of my extreme near-sightedness, i'm not a very good candidate for the LASIK, as they'd have to do a lot of reshaping, which increases the chances of side effects like halos, and would prevent them from doing further lasik surgery as my cornea would have been thinned considerably. (So no touch-ups down the road)

But, the doctor did push for the insertable contact lens, and i was wondering if anyone else here has had it or knew of someone who's had it done. Apparently its been around in europe for 13 years or so and just got approved by the FDA pretty recently. One nifty thing is that its reversible, they can actually remove it later, though its not neccesary to do so.

There have been a bunch of lasik threads in the past, but this is slightly different, so i made a new thread, apologies if you think otherwise.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:11pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How near sited are you? I've been considering lasik or perhaps the insertable lenses you mentioned myself. My reading on the matter was relatively scant as I was leaning more towards lasik but don't know what the "cut off" point for lasik is.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how is an insertable contact lens different than a normal contact lens?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It actually goes IN your eye. Like surgically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:50pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    How near sited are you? I've been considering lasik or perhaps the insertable lenses you mentioned myself. My reading on the matter was relatively scant as I was leaning more towards lasik but don't know what the "cut off" point for lasik is.
    What's your prescription currently? Lasik has a lot of flexibility now in terms of what it'll compensate for but things like astigmatism can skew suitability. And your natural cornea thickness...

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, i got an eye exam one time bout 8 years ago and they said I was 20/80 and 20/100 in the right and left eye respectively. I dont wear corrective lenses now though because I found I became dependant on them to a degree that made me really uncomfortable.

They didnt mention any astigmatisms or anything to my recollection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not entirely sure what my prescription is, I haven't worn contacts since highschool, so i've never really bothered to remember how bad my vision is, and they just told me it again today, but i didn't really remember. But lets just say its really bad, i can only see things with clarity about six inches from my face, everything after that gets blurrier and blurrier. If my sparring partners were to switch gear, as long as their heights were the same, i wouldn't be any wiser until the clinch. Basically, i can't read the eyechart without assistance.

Other factors are your cornea thickness, and pupil size, both of which are 'normal' for me. One last factor is i have a slight astigmatism too.

The other advantage of the insertable contact lens is that they don't have to cut a flap in your eye, just a small pin hole, so you dont have to worry about the dreaded flap opening. (though from previous lasik threads, that sounded like a rare thing anyway)

Its more expensive then lasik though, granted i've only looked at ze most expensive place first, cuz hell, the consultation was free, might as well see the big wig. (Boxer Wachler in beverly hills ) but the difference was about a grand more per eye.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:22pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out PRK as well. It was around before lasik and might be better suited for you.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/prk.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Check out PRK as well. It was around before lasik and might be better suited for you.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/prk.htm
    Yeah, i dont think i'm a candidate for that one, as it still involves a ton of laserwork to get my eye to be reshaped correctly. It might be an option for AnnaT though.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:46pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    Yeah, i dont think i'm a candidate for that one, as it still involves a ton of laserwork to get my eye to be reshaped correctly. It might be an option for AnnaT though.
    It says its for people with thin corneas which you have.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast