Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nice attitude in this Judo Dojo

I came across this Honolulu Judo site: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shobukan/ and I was really impressed with these statements:

"Shobukan has an “open door policy” and invites beginning, transferring and visiting judokas to train in its dojo. Beginning students are slowly conditioned (physically and mentally) to the rigors of judo. Their senseis do this by utilizing moving drills as well as mind development techniques.

Intermediate and advanced judokas continue to learn physical and mental techniques. They also spend a great deal of time practicing randori or freestyle sparring."

This sounds so healthy. I've been told before that I could only work out in a school as long as I didn't train anywhere else. While there are some (a few) good reasons to avoid cross training, usually it's just politics.

Judo has the best rep going for keeping away from all the 'deadly' nonsense, being a full contact realistic sport. This Dojo shows a lot of confidence and openness - I wish more schools could take this attitude.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:26pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is the bomb!

I trained at http://www.abbotsfordjudo.com/ under Tokue Suda, and loved the attitude there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:30pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "mind development techniques" sounds a bit "Clockwork Orange", but yeah, on the whole it is a good attitude to foster in a club of any kind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:33pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone trained with , Ed Maley in Judo? If you have what did you think of him, and his teaching's. I live here in Seffner Fl close to him, I would like some input, and opinions before I go see this guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:10pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I came across this Honolulu Judo site: [url]
    "Shobukan has an “open door policy” and invites beginning, transferring and visiting judokas to train in its dojo.
    I have yet to see a judo club that would NOT subscribe to this policy.
    I travel on business about twice a year and it's been a rare occasion when I did not find a judo club to work out at. Mostly for free. Except at Tenri Dojo in LA where they have a matfee.....$3.00...

:)

Tomas

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup 99.9% of Judo clubs are like this. (We have some larpers out there)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:48pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm Uechi dude, I haven't heard of him. What club is he with? There are a ton of great clubs in Florida, and some good ones in your area. I don't know all the instructors specifically (but my coach pretty much does) but I am pretty aware of certain club names, and their reps.

I agree with the above posters. 99.99% of Judo clubs adhere to this same attitude. It is one of the reasons I really got into Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 10:43am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is called Professor Ed Maley, he has been in judo 50+ years? I did however receive a PM about him, and was told his bark is way worse than his bite. Could you send me some names of dojos around this area (which come highly recommened by your instructor), it would be greatly appreciated. You can forward it to okinawanfightingarts@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:19am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will ask around Uechi,

btw, you are in a great location for Judo lots of seminars, tourneys, and the like go down in the central and southern region down there. I will talk to Fred Hand about him tonight and see if I can get the skinny.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:25am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Judo so much. I consider it the grappling analogue of boxing, in that it's generally no BS, good attitudes, near-zero levels of larping, not going to cost you an arm and a leg.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast