Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDonalds is fucking bad for you. Stop eating that **** pronto.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    McDonalds is fucking bad for you. Stop eating that **** pronto.
    What he said!!! On those rare but inevitable occasions when the only thing to eat is a fastfood combo, then split the sandwich in two, ask the fries to be without salt if possible, and ask ice tea or just water instead of soda. The two halves of the sandwich and the fries are three separate meals to be eaten at 3 hours interval. Drink the soda/water in sips between meals. Not the best option, but it's a good way to ameliorate a shitty nutritional situation.

Also, it all depends of what type of job you do during the day. I work in front of a PC, so it's easy for me to bring several containers of food and eat while at work. Other type of jobs (specially those where you have to drive or be constantly with customers) are not that flexible.

Anyways, I still don't have a clear idea of what you eat, or your height and weight, but I'll throw some tried-and-true ideas:

Get boxes of granola bar and chew one or two on them every two hours. Keep your afternoon lunch small. If you can bring yogurt or a protein shake at work, the better.

Force your breakfasts to be one cup of oatmeal and one boiled egg.

Force your breakfasts to be a high protein, very low fat shake, or a cup of diced cucumbers and tomatoes (no oil, salt or dressing) and one boiled egg.

Nix all sugars and use asparmate or some other low-calorie sweetener.

Nix all sodas.

Stay away from fast-food - lean towards subways or similar (without the mayo.)

Stay away from pre-packaged foods if possible.

Stay away from all fruit juices coming from concentrate - stick to low-sugar or natural juices.

Nix anything high in sodium :read the #$@! labels. Treat any type of food that has 30% of sodium per portion as nuclear waste coming out of the ass of a mutant, 3-eyed goat.

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you eat every 2-3 hours must fit inside your cupped hands. Anything bigger is too much.

For breakfast you can have oatmeal with some fruits and low-sugar yogurt. For dinner, a low-fat shake with high protein content.

That is, substantially reduce the size of your breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make them healthy whenever possible, and in between the "big" meals, eat granola bars, yogurt, a fruit or a whole wheat bagel with a teaspoon of peanut butter.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:08pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, ok I got all that. Are there other high protein spreads other than peanut butter due to personal allergies?

And I am 5'10", 270. You might ask, "how the **** are you on this forum, you belong on MAP", but I carry my **** fairly well. What target daily calorie intake should I look at? Or is it just more important to tone down what I normally eat?

All advice posted in this thread I will recompile (with credit where due) into a "Bullshido: Get your **** together mega-plan" thread.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:44pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id stay away from peanut butter, at least mounds of it if your trying to cut weight.

Since you want protien for your muscle but dont want tons of calories to go with it, Id suggest a protein shake. Go to GNC and but their whey protien. Get vanilla and mix it with 2 cups of skim milk. 3x a day and you have a lean protien source without any additional calories that you dont need. Each drin with the milk should be about 4 grams, so that should be good for you. Just add one or two other servings of lean protien. Cut out all soda and fast food. Sorry but dont do it man. Even diet soda, just stay away. Drink water or unsweetened ice tea. I only drink water, milk, juie and tea and I get by fine.

Dont go to crazy though, a cookie at the end of the day is ok. A cookie not TEN!!!

One of the best ways to look better (which is 75% of the score) is to weightlift. Weight lifting will build muscle (comes through the fat!) and constantly burns calories, even when your done lifting. Do something with weights about 3x a week, squat,deadlift, bench and chins. You can make a huge increase in 3 months especialy cause you have done little in the past. Just make sure you stick to basic compound exercises.

For some cardio work, look up some things about tabata training. Most guys like it or something like HIIT. Do that on your off days from weights.

A big thing I think too, is just be more active in addition to the gym. Not everything is a workout at the gym. How far away is work? Bike there (I see your in ny now though, so its too damn cold). Go play some games of basketball instead of going to the movies. Do you know any places that have indoor courts? Whatever it is, get your freinds together and organize some sports together or anything else thats active, but not part of your workout.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:47pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot my last comment that I just thought of.

Dont be a *****.

Not being mean or saying you are, but just keep on going. You have a goal and you have 3 months. Dont be a bitch and cheat or skip workouts cause its getting to hard. Everytime you wanna quit just remember that your a ***** if you do!

Take some pictures of your self, maybe one every day and at the end of the week look at them. then the 2nd week look at all the new ones and so on.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    Hmmm, ok I got all that. Are there other high protein spreads other than peanut butter due to personal allergies?
    Hmmmm, ****, that's a good question. If you are allergic to peanuts, most likely you'll also be allergic to cashew butter and the like. The only other ones I can think of are riccota cheese. You could mix riccota cheese with a bit of honey, a few drops of flaxseed oil, and some salt (good taste, believe me). It's a bit messier than peanut butter since it falls all over, but it's good from a nutritional point of view.

And I am 5'10", 270. You might ask, "how the **** are you on this forum, you belong on MAP", but I carry my **** fairly well.
    Not me for certain. I hate when people do that kind of retarded **** to others.

What target daily calorie intake should I look at? Or is it just more important to tone down what I normally eat?
    This is where it can get tricky, and which is why I prefer to suggest to tone down at first, combined with a reduction in fat and carbs (without sacrificing fiber) and an increase in protein. This is all assuming that you don't have any medical condition (if so, you may want to check with your PCP first.)

There are ways to compute your daily caloric requirements, though. Rules of thumb are as follows:

-- fat loss : 10 - 13 calories per bodyweight (in your case around 2900 calories/day)
    -- maintenance : 14 - 17 calories per bw
    -- weight gain : 18 - 20 calories per bw.

Those numbers change from publication to publication, but more or less that works. There are more accurate ways to compute that based on your basal metabolic rate or MBR (what your body needs to work - a function of body size and % of lean mass, body fat and stuff like that.) More accurate calculations are required when you one is leaner and wants to bulk up or maintain weight.

My guess would be to calculate how much food makes 2900 calories and gradually decrease it, perhaps 50 calories every week, always keeping your fat, carb and sugar intake down at least 4-5 times a week (without sacrificing fiber) and increasing your protein intake (low fat, high protein shakes are the way to go IMO). Give yourself a day when you can eat fatty or sugary stuff, with moderation of course.

We need that to keep our sanity. Being in a fucking diet everyday is a torture.

Check these links for more info:

http://www.healthrecipes.com/calories.htm
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bo...on-guide-1.htm

And this is a link for a MBR calculator: http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html

And this is a chart with suggested weights per height (take those numbers with a bit of salt; they are just guidelines that don't take into account physical activity, genetics and many other factors):

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

PirateJon posted a nice link regarding "7 steps" to weight loss. I'll try to dig it out and post it here as well.

All advice posted in this thread I will recompile (with credit where due) into a "Bullshido: Get your **** together mega-plan" thread.
    Looking forward to see that. My recommendation is to have a log and write down everything you eat everyday, down to the most minute cup of coffee. Then you can compute how much calories and grams of fat, carbs, sugars and protein you are taking on a regular day.

The best way to start is to know exactly where you are.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/07/2007 4:52pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 5:13pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As mentioned, definitely do not underestimate the importance of eating frequently (every 2-3 hrs). When you go too long without eating a) you get too hungry and pig out and b) you prevent your metabolism from functioning efficiently. Eating too infrequently is a huge mistake that many people make. The whey protein is a good idea too, especially if the most available protein sources for you are Quad Stacker Burgers or Slim Jims. I'd also try to find out a little more about the exact measurements, etc, that the competition is using.

Depending on your body type/fat distribution, there may be certain muscles that will show growth more easily for the before and after photos. According to the formula for judging you gave, they're 75% of the score. Forearms, together with the brachioradialis, can get pretty big pretty fast. A few years back one of my friends had literally just started lifting when I went away for about four or five weeks, and when I came back it was crazy how much size he had added to his forearms. Hammer curls, reverse curls, and grip stengthening exercises will visibly pay off well within 12 weeks.
    Last edited by ironlurker; 2/07/2007 5:16pm at .

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 5:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, when you work out with dumbbells or cables, make a point to work as often as possible with a pool noodle (see link below) around the handles to work your grip/hand/forearms.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...noodle-bar.jpg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:36pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Decisions are based on before and after photos (75%), Measurements (15%), and essay (10% if required to break a tie).

Cool, 75% for the photos should actually be an advantage in this case. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, busted knee and gained weight while off of my training. Here is what I would do to win the comp. first and then focus on general health next.

One of the "secrets" I was taught back in the early 80's when I wanted to be a bodybuilder was shoulders make the man. For every inch you add to you shoulders, it has the effect of making you waist look 2 inches smaller. I would hit my traps, delts, and back (especially upper back) heavy for the first few weeks of lifting. The goal here is add some mass to you delts and lats and have the traps and upper back lift and pull back/spread you shoulders. Depending on your current posture you may have people asking you, "Have you been working out?" or "Are you loosing weight" after just a couple of rounds of this training.

The guys here have posted some awesome information on diet and cardio. I would really focus on it to burn those calories and take in less while hitting you waist. This is to burn off some fat, of course, and draw in the mid-section. The classic V shape is what we are shooting for here and even slightly changing the shoulder to waist ratio will have a huge visual impact for us.

The extra weight you are carrying could actually be another blessing in disgusie. I just noticed how my additional plumpness has given me some freaky calf development. Depending on how long you've had a few extra pounds, you legs may be "good enough" and finish up nicely from the cardio alone.

If you are doing heavy rows and presses for your shoulders/back, your arms may only need minimal finishing and isolation as the 12 weeks draws to a close.

I know this is a bit of a ramble and I'm sure I sound looney to most of you, but just for fun try this. Take a photo of yourself now and photoshop in the changes I'm talking about. Broader shoulders, narrower waist and a bit leaner all over. If you can't photoshop it, just use a sharpie on a photo or cut out the photo and trace/redo the silhouette as described. Pretty cool hunh?

Anyway, I hope this is of some use for you. I'm sorry, I've done a poor job of retelling Porter Cottrell's advice to me during my wannabe years.

Good Luck.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:47am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with advice here and there. First of all, the meal consumption. I love the idea of eating as often as humanly possible. I don't like the small meals. Adding muscle will make the biggest difference possible in the long run and the short term, ask any Abs Diet-er. The 6 week challenge results from the Abs Diet are phenomenal. So replicating that is key, next, I don't like the isolation exercises. A fat guy doing wrist curls is like a guy that's totaled his car but wants to get the radio fixed first. I would suggest to this man to buy the Abs Diet by David Zinczenko and follow the six week challenge before going heavy with the traps and shoulder development and doing actual Tabata on the every other day. Focus on muscle gains. Muscle burns 50 cals a day just sitting around, focus on gaining, and you'll naturally lose, make the change natural. Don't buy Bill Philips' outdated crap, it's all isolation this and no science that. It's like the whole damn book is pure opinion.

Total body circuits utilizing the biggest muscles in your body are the best for fat loss and muscle gains because since your whole body gets worked, you produce more human growth hormone. Don't worry about the size of your meals. I got ripped in 6 weeks from the Abs Diet and I gorged myself, trying to get in as much as possible. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body. They are so essential, they produce so much human growth hormone when their worked.

A good sample program is to do legs first, as in squats or deadlifts 6-8 reps, keeping in the higher range purposefully to work the most muscle fiber, then move on to the big movers. bench press same rep range, bent over rows, lunges always supersetting to either opposing muscles or upper and lower body to stay warm and have more muscle fiber worked if your familiar with the superset theory, then hang cleans to that full upper body involved, push presses, squat/high pulls, then knee raises or some heavy ab move like maybe weighted plate situps or full contact twists are nice, then repeat the set. 3 Circuits that way, and finish up with 2 sets of breathing squats and 2 sets of rice plowing to really get all out of your muscles and finish up, and some neck work with a harness and some bands. You don't know what a thick neck does to a physique. So the finisher would be a circuit like this: 20 breathing squats, 3 minutes rice plowing, neck harness work and band work(can be substituted with neck harness sled drag), and shrug work behind to failure, neutral grip to failure, and in front to failure, then repeat. That'll make sure you have your heavy work, supp lifts, and all muscles covered. You shouldn't be able to walk to your car well, and your legs should feel dead for a couple hours. Look at Tom Platz. His legs are huge, but he also has an upper body that can rival any other bodybuilder because of the sheer growth hormone release. It's just dwarfed by his huge legs.

Focus on the downward phase of each lift. Lift as fast as you can, then lower for about 3 seconds a lift and stay in the rep range, so you can make sure to get all those fibers in. If you focus on losing weight, you will lose weight. If you focus on losing FAT and TRANSFORMING your body, you will do so. Don't worry about caloric intake or whatnot, just pile on the protein, fruits, veggies, and whole grains and follow proper pre and post workout nutrition, when eating those 6-7 meals. If you ask the Body of Work contest folk they will tell you they usually averaged an excess of 6000-8000 calories a day, and they all had varied goals, and it all worked for them. Trust me when I say that a calorie is not a calorie. All is not equal. Read my posts here and trust who you want to trust: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...20&postcount=6 Follow what makes sense in your heart, not scientific jargon. If you feel I'm wrong, then go for what you want. It's your contest, win or lose.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast