Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 6:56am

Style: not training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about a Japanese Swordsman.

Admittedly, I'm mainly asking this as a fan of the Dark Horse translation of the manga Lone Wolf and Cub (and the movies and ...).

Does anyone know of historical (not fictional) references to Ogami Itto/Etto/Edo (think I've seen all three spellings in one place or another). Google searches I've tried in the past seem to get bogged down in the Lone Wolf fan land (my research fu is weak).

The only Nonfiction reference I can remember reading is a bit in Autumn Lightning where the author mentions Ogami as a rival to the Yagyu Shinkage instructors, who Ieyasu (sp?) Tokugawa had teaching his son while Ieyasu (sp?) studied with the Yagyu. After Ieyasu's (sp?) death Ogami was exiled by the son who then went to the Yagyu school because Ogami was a sadistic, bloodthirsty butcher only interested in teaching how to kill blah, blah, blah (sounds like he would have fit in fine here on Bullshido...).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 10:00am

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Itto is a fictional character. If you take a close look at his sword technique, it barely resembles Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo.

Look up the 15th soke of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo, Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro for more complete information on the system which is still practiced today.

cheers,

bamboo

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 10:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am debating Trollshiding this thread.

Can you post of video or discuss that style a bit more, possibly this thread can still be saved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 10:27am

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    suioryu-usa.org gives a quick and dirty history on the school as well as those practicing in the north america.

My google-fu is strong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 10:44am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW:

I just c&p this quote from a thread on E-Budo.

"......but you can view a short video on Suio Kogusoku here: http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~nck/suiou/30th/index.htm ... it's the last video on that page. According to Kendo World's article on Suio Ryu there are: 9 kogusoku kata. Also 12 wakizashi kata that involves some grappling. Also the kendo world article mentions 3 knife taking kata... "

I suppose I should have tried the URL before posting. Just trying to pitch-in.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 4:24am

Style: not training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bamboo, Thanks for the links. I really appreciate it.

Plazma, I was not trying to troll, I was looking for info on what I thought was a heavily fictionalized historical character. If you feel the thread does not belong in your forum I would prefer you just delete it.