Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 1:10am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    My whole point is that hands won't stop hard low kicks. I've proven this on CMA and JMA guys over and over.
    I don't know for those guys, but stopping hard kicks of any style with my hands is not my idea of fun anyway. My arms only bend at the elbow and I'd like to keep it this way. I mostly prefer to evade kicks or to close in when they come. For fast low kicks, checking them with my leg.

Not that much different from popular competition martial arts in that regard, really.

Anyway, I guess what's coming up in that line of thought we've embarked on is a "what if I do", "but then I do" pointless argument that could only be solved with physical or video proof, both of which are unlikely to happen in short time as much as I'm concerned. Feel free to think what you will of this guard and its related concepts, I don't think I could convince anyone here otherwise, nor do I care that much about it.

So, anyone has anything to add about the original subject of the thread?
    Last edited by Guizzy; 2/10/2007 1:25am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyuk Toogi N00bi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Glad I could be of help.

Ok so I tried your advice today.. . especially on staying off from their strong side...I really saw quite a difference, especially when fighting one of the bulkier guys. He isn't very mobile with his kicks and relies a lot on boxing and the principle of staying off from his strong side opened up his midsection for some really easy roundhouses. Now that might not sound much, but I have always been handed my ass by him until today.

Now, I have really got to work on circling off when someone rushes me with a flurry. I keep backing away and I really need to move in and close down kicks or step to the side.

Anyway, you really helped make a difference to my game. So thanks. :evil4:

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 3:48pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An easy way to deal with rush-in flurry attacks is to cross your arms straight out in front of you and kind of put your head down. This really jacks up their punches, prevents them from getting to close and is easy to throw a kick from.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks. I've seen you mention this before. do you have any vids of you doing that? The first thing that occurs to me is that if the distance is closed, do you not risk getting your hands tied up? Or is that because I'm ****?

I would guess getting that kick out there is the solution to that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 4:52pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy
    I don't know if those guys had the barring hand; the back hand is placed where it can stop incoming low strikes. In sparring, though, less experienced fighters tend not to push the back forward enough to be able to do anything.

As it is not as "forward" as the first hand, sometimes, yes, the lead hand is moved to intercept low attacks, but the back hand immediately takes position higher. That's something that we train like madmen, so it's quick as hell.

It's a key principle in my style: "one hand high, one hand low". Very few exceptions to that.
    Sounds like junk. Bullshido.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guizzy, was part of your original question also dealing with your stand either being toe-to-toe as opposed to mirrored? If so, I find toe-to-toe to be much more efficient against someone who's got better hands than me, because I can move to their side/back and keep them off on an angle minimalizing their combinations. Mirroring and closing the gap is great for getting a solid clinch to execute takedowns or some knees.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 12:55am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Guizzy, was part of your original question also dealing with your stand either being toe-to-toe as opposed to mirrored? If so, I find toe-to-toe to be much more efficient against someone who's got better hands than me, because I can move to their side/back and keep them off on an angle minimalizing their combinations. Mirroring and closing the gap is great for getting a solid clinch to execute takedowns or some knees.
    It wasn't really important in the question; I fight ambidextrous so I take whatever side I want.

That's really a good consideration, though, I suppose whether you mirror or go toe to toe does make a huge difference. I'll try your advice next time I have the chance, thanks!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/11/2007 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy
    It wasn't really important in the question; I fight ambidextrous so I take whatever side I want.

That's really a good consideration, though, I suppose whether you mirror or go toe to toe does make a huge difference. I'll try your advice next time I have the chance, thanks!
    Yeah I fight rather unorthodox and amdidextrous as well. Friends of mine who box/kickbox cringe when they see me fight, because I seldom stay in one stance for more than a little bit, while they are solid orthodox or southpaw all the time. But against not so skilled strikers, it really messes with their game, because they never know what's coming next. And anyway, if I happen to be losing the standup game I just take it to the ground where I'm more comfortable.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:49pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shirohagen
    thanks. I've seen you mention this before. do you have any vids of you doing that?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51653

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what? wheat before a scythe.. ..

I tried it and it's something that I think will be fun to play with. Thx for the link Kat. Good luck in your fight against the she-hulk. :icon_blac
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456