Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the Colt Defender.

It's just a little too...I dunno....pointy and cold for certain concealed carry options.

Reliability isn't where my 5'', 4.25'' 1911s, or my Glock 27 is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought the XD .45 in Brown, and have been really happy. Not enough rounds down the pipe to speak to reliability, but no failures so far. I paid $510 for mine, and they threw in a free box of ammo ($15 store price), but I bought locally. If you buy online, you have to pay shipping and transfer (in my area transfers run from $10 to $75 depending on the ffl). Local you have taxes as well.

If you have a dealer you purchase from ask if they will work with you on the price. They might be able to knock some off the top, or like mine did, throw something in.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 10:12am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot about it last night, but I feel I should point out that more than a few people really don't like the holster that comes in the XD Gear package. Some say that it can be made good by heating up the plastic and stretching it, others say it is flat worthless.

I will see if I can come up with links to such discussions later.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 10:38am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    So nice to finally add something of substance to this site, now that it seems possible that I'll never be able to train BJJ. :sad5:
    Like I told someone else who got injured and was concerned he couldn't participate here because of it, proper training with Firearms is probably the most "Martial" of Martial Arts given that our military spends most of its combat training time focused on them as opposed to H2H.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:13pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't seem to find a trace of anyone talking about the stock holster at length, let alone the reviews I found before.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HackingYodel
    Man I'm an idiot!!

If you have any interest in guns or knives, at all, go NOW and get the latest catalog from CDNN here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html (it's a 20.5 MB PDF so dial up be warned)

They have all the coolest toys, from your Springer (pg. 14) to PS-90's to .50 cals, and awesome prices to boot. I just remembered the catalog because it was the first place I ever saw the FN shotgun.

The FN looks good in all the proper places: maker, sights, finish, action, everything. I don't have one because I couldn't find much in the way of reviews and I'm neck deep in Remington 870's and 1100 now. If I were going to buy a new shotgun soon I would look into it more, for sure.
    I read some forums and (mindyou, heresay from me, maybe you can find it, I'm too lazy) a guy said that the firing speed was so fast that he could probably have emptied the magazine before the first round hit the ground (holds 6 in the mag, 1 in the chamber). Not sure if he was exagerating a little bit. He makes mention that the firing speed is so fast it could be considered near auto (again, could be a bit of a stretch). One other thing that I heard about it is it's recoil. From the forums I've read, they mention that it can be fired with one arm with very little recoil. Mind you this is with the stock version and not one with a pistal grip (if they even make them).

Checking out the catalog now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:49pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He may have been talking about bump firing? Whether a shotgun, pistol, or rifle a semi-automatic's action cycles faster than a human can pull the trigger (excepting some kind of X-MEN/freak of nature person). Bump firing, by using the weapons recoil, will make a weapon look full auto.

I could not find a clip of the FN being bump fired, but this 12 gauge Saiga should give you feel for what's possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGN8_eWTYI

As to recoil, it is mainly a factor of the guns weight and how "hot" of a round you are firing and the action of the weapon.

I have never shot the FN or any of the low recoil rounds on the market now so I can't say for sure about it. I have shot heaver automatic 12 gauges though, with a wide variety of loads and never once confused it with an air-soft model ;)

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HackingYodel
    He may have been talking about bump firing? Whether a shotgun, pistol, or rifle a semi-automatic's action cycles faster than a human can pull the trigger (excepting some kind of X-MEN/freak of nature person). Bump firing, by using the weapons recoil, will make a weapon look full auto.

I could not find a clip of the FN being bump fired, but this 12 gauge Saiga should give you feel for what's possible.

As to recoil, it is mainly a factor of the guns weight and how "hot" of a round you are firing and the action of the weapon.

I have never shot the FN or any of the low recoil rounds on the market now so I can't say for sure about it. I have shot heaver automatic 12 gauges though, with a wide variety of loads and never once confused it with an air-soft model ;)
    I really need to view this video once I have the time. Again, thanks for all the helpful infromation.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 5:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Buy the way, do any of you know any magazines/forums that do provide informative, impartial gun/shotgun/rifle reviews?
    Culver's Shooting Page is good. http://jouster.com/

I also like Hawk's M14 Forum - http://www.m14firinglineforum.com/upload/ Its main focus may be M14s, but its got a lot of sub forums for other types of firearms.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 1:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ***Update***

Well I went ahead and picked up the Springfield XD .45ACP. I haven't had the chance yet to fire it but so far I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship of the gun itself. Very solid, well built, and a good weight to it. These are just my first impressions from looking the weapon over and getting to know it a little better.

It's interesting to know that this gun doesn't have the traditional "safety" button like most have. Everything is internal. If you are not depressing the handle safety and the trigger safety as well, then it will now fire; baring some seriously screwed up malfunction mind you.

Anyways, I haven't had the chance to fire it yet but my BJJ coach has access to the PD/Sheriff's Office range and we will head out there and send a few down range. For anyone that is/was/maybe interested in this particular gun, I'll try to provide a good review of it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast