224921 Bullies, 3305 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP

Well this is my first post in this forum so I figured I ask for a little bit of info if possible. I'm looking into purchasing the Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP handgun here:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=3

*Note* one of the pictures shows the tactical 5" model and the other picture is correct. I have my heart set on it and I've heard nothing but great reviews (a few negatives on internet forums but every magazine I've read says it's great). It will be my first gun purchase and from the reasearch I've done, it seems to be a good starting semi-auto. A solid round (.45 ACP), large capacity (13+1), and all the extras at an affordable price.

Here is where I could use some help. I've checked with the dealers around town and some around two hours away and the prices tend to be the same (about 500.00 bucks, I found one for 479.00). I was curious about merchants online and their prices. I'm not familiar with purchasing online or how/if it works and was wondering if anyone here could give me the lowdown and provide some useful information.

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 6:31pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I was looking at pistols, I became familiar with a number of online and mail order firearms dealers. I just looked through the sources I had listed for the pistols I was once considering, and it isn't worth posting detailed pricing information.

The only price I found that beat the prices you mentioned was from Bud's Gun Shop, it's the Dark Earth 4" 45ACP XD shipped insured for $489.65, listed here and pictured here. Remember, you're going to have to pay a transfer fee to an FFL dealer near you in addition to that price.

I couldn't see the Springfield page you linked due to Flash issues. If you wanted the 4" Compact 45ACP XD, Bud's Gun Shop has that for $503.68 shipped insured (see here).

I haven't done business with this store, but I heard plenty of good things about them when I was doing my research.
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 2/06/2007 6:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:46pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey!! Robstafarian stole my post!!

I was going to suggest Bud's gun form here in Kentucky if you do the online thing. If you use the GunBroker add in this forum and check out their "How do I buy?" link, you should get the gist of the process.

Do check out their FFL locater to see what's in you area. If you ever decide to purchase a firearm nonlocal you'll have to go through one.

Also, if the gun is only a few dollars more local, I strongly advise you buy there. Find a dealer you like and can trust and support them whenever you can. This will pay off huge later when you need repairs, advice or just want a good deal on ammo or parts. Think about it, twenty or thirty dollars is nothing to be able to have a "friend" in the gun business.

Your choice in a pistol is a great one. Be careful of the magazine reviews because the majority are just infomercials. I would trust the advice and reviews from a good forum orders of magnitude more than ANY magazine I have read in recent years.
    Last edited by HackingYodel; 2/06/2007 8:58pm at .

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:53pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HackingYodel
    Hey!! Robstafarian stole my post!!
    Dare I tell someone in The Armory to be faster on the draw? :qshatter:

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 9:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that site has some great deals. Thanks for posting it.

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 9:53pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From that very same link, you should check .45 this out. Goddamn it's sexy and on the proven 1911 frame. 10+1 rounds too:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32949

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:28pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    Dare I tell someone in The Armory to be faster on the draw? :qshatter:
    Touche!

Yeah, Bud's Guns is pretty hard to beat on price. They move a lot of merchandise so it pays to check them often, I've had them sell out of a certain pistol as I was looking at it. The only negative about them I've seen is that they had an additional $25 charge and day wait for in state sales (last time I talked to them).

I also like http://thegunsource.com/store/ to see what is being sold, these guys have EVERYTHING!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a 3 inch 1911-type pistol. Too many proprietary parts to be called proven or even a 1911, strictly speaking.

I have mixed feelings about it.

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 11:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    From that very same link, you should check .45 this out. Goddamn it's sexy and on the proven 1911 frame. 10+1 rounds too:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32949
    That is one sexy gun. I will have to take a closer look at that one as well.

If you like that one, you should love this one:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=23

A poster above mentioned it. Basically, it's the same as the 4 inch service model XD but the grip is shortened for better conceal carry. It's I believe about a half an inch shorter as well in length. It comes with a standard 10 round magazine but also and extension magazine so you can get the full 13+1 capabilities.

As for the furums, thanks, I figured that most magazines were just advertiesments as well, that's why I checked into a lot of forums and also posted here. I've heard a few issues with defective models but it seems to be very far and between. Also there seems to be some issues with replacement parts as the manufactuer doesn't sell them so if you need your weapon fixed, you have to send it completely back to them. It's one of the reasons I am also looking into a .45 ACP revolver, probably a 4" model as well.

I'll probably get the regular service model and then wait a while for the compact model to be on the market and then buy it as well.

Thanks everyone. I will go with a local dealer. As HackingYodel suggests, buying local and having a person I can go to with problems will pay off for me in the long run.

Damn, Bullshido is like, da **** yo! (My slang sucks, haven't been in "da hood" in 7 years!)

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 11:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy the way, do any of you know any magazines/forums that do provide informative, impartial gun/shotgun/rifle reviews?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast