Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grand Master Kim Dae-shik Passes Away February 2, 2007

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Grand Master Kim
    Dae-shik. While I never had the privelege of training directly under GM
    Kim, I have been influenced by him through my study at the US Martial
    Arts Institute that he founded in Austin, TX.

Here are a couple of links to biographical information.

http://www.komudokwan.com/hosinsul.html

http://www.usmai.com/history.html

While USMAI is now defunct and I think Master Yoon is wandering into the realm of bullshido these days, I think Grand Master Kim's approach to cross training was a very good one in terms of incorporating TKD as a component of a more holistic approach to self defense training.

I don't know if this post belongs more in this forum or in the News forum. Mods feel free to relocate as appopriate.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 7:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest in peace.

If you can get me a news article on his death, I'll have it moved to the Front Page.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest In Peace, Dr. Kim!

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Rest in peace.

If you can get me a news article on his death, I'll have it moved to the Front Page.
    I checked the online version of the LA Times, but didn't see anything there, so I sent them an e-mail asking if they had an obituary on him. Here is there less than helpful reply.

Thank you for submitting the material on Grand Master Kim Dae-shik.
    Just as we do with each name that is submitted to us, we sent the material you provided to our editorial library for a background check. Our library conducted its search and I'm afraid they didn't find quite enough for us to consider a news obituary. These searches involve not only past issues of the Times but a wide array of periodicals and newspapers.

While there is no doubt he had a solid professional career , we didn't find the kind of material we were hoping for that would make his story news to a broader circulation.

We regret turning down requests for obituaries, but the great fact for us is that there are far more people of note dying than we can possibly handle in our news obituary coverage. That being the case we have to consider each submission as news. It is an imprecise science at best, but that is the way we have to view it.

You again have our thanks for submitting the material on Kim Dae-shik and our regret that our staffing and space don't allow us to write his obituary.

Sincerely,
    Claire Noland
    Deputy Obituaries Editor
    Los Angeles Times
    In other words, has been B movie actors from the '40s dying in a cheap motel in pool of his own vomit with a dead hooker next to him is more news worthy than the passing of someone who actually had something positive to contribute to society. Fucking LA Times.

Do any members here from the LA area know of a local paper that is more geared to the common masses that might have some info on Dr. Kim?

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 8:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu,aikijujitsu,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,
    I was senior student in the US to Dr. Kim, 1976-'77. He was a professor at UT Austin then.
    I had been in Isshinryu 8 years when I began training with Dr. Kim. My brother, myself and Dr. Kim would work out 5-6 hours a day 7 days straight....I did 7 weeks of this training stretched out over 1 1/2 years...would go back to Fort Worth and train with the weeks content til another week of intensive training one or two months later.....
    From Dr. Kim I learned Tomiki Aikijujitsu...later to influence his hosin hapkido. 105 joint twists. Kyokushin, over 100 one step sparring tech. (Dr. Kim was senior to Mas Oyama and director of Mas. Oyama's first three World Championships, also senior to Tomiki)
    The 8 Pal gwe forms and other advanced forms. Dr. Kim was very strict as he was taught.
    I was 22 in 1976...to train for first encounter with Dr. Kim I had a job at Lake Country estates golf club swinging an axe a good 6 hours a shift for 12 weeks chopping down trees constructing the back nine of the golf course in full Texas heat.
    Those were the days, hard training, Austin night life...
    Thorne Williams, Tx

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 8:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu,aikijujitsu,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dr. Kim was the most highly skilled practitioner I have ever seen and I have seen many, many of the pioneers of the arts....his hapkido or joint twisting was almost on par with Ureshiba....
    His striking, kicking impecable....but his Judo or Yudo in Korean was a lifetime beyond any repeat ANY other judo master I have ever seen and I have seen and been on the mat with 4 of the 5 Judo founders in Texas....his Yudo was scary....very scary.....Rest in peace

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 9:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isshin68, where are you in Texas now?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2011 10:32pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isshin68 View Post
    Dr. Kim was the most highly skilled practitioner I have ever seen and I have seen many, many of the pioneers of the arts....his hapkido or joint twisting was almost on par with Ureshiba....
    His striking, kicking impecable....but his Judo or Yudo in Korean was a lifetime beyond any repeat ANY other judo master I have ever seen and I have seen and been on the mat with 4 of the 5 Judo founders in Texas....his Yudo was scary....very scary.....Rest in peace
    Go watch some olympic/ competative Judo, then STFU.