Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In response to Mr. Kagan, I'll be honest, since I've had first hand experience with this school, they do still leave a bad taste in my mouth so I apologize if I sound a bit impulsive. What really bothered me was the fact that I was REFERRED to this school for the sole purpose of pursuing BETTER TRAINING by another instructor. How could he been confused as an instructor with a reputation for "quality training" in the first place? That was a little fishy to me.

I'm grateful that the head instructor was honest about his intentions, although I figured it out once I stepped into the school. However from a personal standpoint, I don't feel it's right to have such a business of this nature in the first place. He might have been honest towards me, because he realizes I know better, but what about individuals who are not as "in tuned" with what's quality and what's commercial. I doubt that the head instructor at this school will advertise himself as an instructor that will teach for the sole purpose of financial gain, rather than to develop quality students. I simply don't want people to think that this school is something that it isn't.

Other things like calling himself "Kwanjang" strikes a nerve with me too. Instructors with 2 years experience bothers me as well. Since I am new, maybe this topic can be moved elsewhere. I'm not opposed to moving this topic elsewhere.
    Last edited by jun17; 2/07/2007 2:04pm at .

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that one visit the only experience you've had with the school?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jun17
    In response to Mr. Kagan, I'll be honest, since I've had first hand experience with this school, they do still leave a bad taste in my mouth so I apologize if I sound a bit impulsive. What really bothered me was the fact that I was REFERRED to this school for the sole purpose of pursuing BETTER TRAINING by another instructor. How could he been confused as an instructor with a reputation for "quality training" in the first place? That was a little fishy to me.

I'm grateful that the head instructor was honest about his intentions, although I figured it out once I stepped into the school. However from a personal standpoint, I don't feel it's right to have such a business of this nature in the first place. He might have been honest towards me, because he realizes I know better, but what about individuals who are not as "in tuned" with what's quality and what's commercial. I doubt that the head instructor at this school will advertise himself as an instructor that will teach for the sole purpose of financial gain, rather than to develop quality students. I simply don't want people to think that this school is something that it isn't.

Other things like calling himself "Kwanjang" strikes a nerve with me too. Instructors with 2 years experience bothers me as well. Since I am new, maybe this topic can be moved elsewhere. I'm not opposed to moving this topic elsewhere.

According to you, this was 7 years ago. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to you as to why you waited so many years later without mentioning this here or elsewhere on the internet. But I still remain unconvinced as to why your motives should not also be examined.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 1:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey. First post. The school in question was my very first martial arts school. I'm sad to say that I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. I trained at Fear Knot for a little over a year before moving from the area. I became friendly with a few instructors (now former instructors) who slowly started to vent about Wilkes' running of the school. The more time went by, the more his accomplishments focused solely on how much business he drew in.

I remember starting as a white belt at that school with another guy. 6 months after leaving the area and school, I started somewhere else. After a cumulative training time of about 3 years, I was a Red belt. Out of curiosity, I looked at Fear Knot's page to see where this guy was. I wasn't disturbed to see him with a black belt (good for him), but was put off by the fact he was a SECOND DAN (after training for only 3.5 years). Not that the comparison changed my own training, but it came off very saddening.

To be fair, I remember their belt tests being physically challenging, with a lot of talk about the black belt test being grueling. However, I went back to the area recently and bumped into another old training partner. He left the school shortly after me and talked about how Wilkes was teaching less, and even worse...letting himself go. He told him to not kick so high while instructing, since it made him look bad.

I'm sure there's more to the other side of the story that the school can share, but from what I've seen and heard, something stinks...
    Last edited by nyctkd; 8/13/2007 1:53pm at .

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, nyctkd, welcome to the site.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with the school discussed in this thread.

What/where/how are you training now?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 2:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome. I train in Tae Kwon Do in southeastern PA now (recently earned Black Belt). For colored belts we did Palgwe Poomase, however we also do Chang Hon Hyungs later on. Just for fun, I do the Taegeuk Poomsaes I learned at Fear Knot when I train on my own.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctkd
    Thanks for the welcome. I train in Tae Kwon Do in southeastern PA now (recently earned Black Belt). For colored belts we did Palgwe Poomase, however we also do Chang Hon Hyungs later on. Just for fun, I do the Taegeuk Poomsaes I learned at Fear Knot when I train on my own.
    I'm sorry, none of those terms say anything to me... ;-)

I was rather thinking of a short description of the way you train: like the level of contact at sparring and stuff. Anyhow, great to see you reply.

Take your time reading around here.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 4:12pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any students actually there....everyone is an instructor or coordinator of sorts, even the blue belt....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 10:57am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know those guys. They compete at the local tournaments that I compete at. I judged with him one. I though he was an asshole. I've beat his students before in competition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:58pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyHaggis
    Many TKD dojangs claim that you can "potentially" earn a 1st Degree Black Belt in 2 years. A school system I was involved with back in the day admitted that 1st Degree Black Belt meant nothing more than "proficiency in the basics of Taekwondo", and not mastery of it. They even admitted that their 1st Degree Black Belts did not look as good as other 1st Degree Black Belts, but as time goes on, and those students advance in rank (2 years to be eligible to test for 2nd Degree, 3 for 3rd, etc etc.), the playing field levels out with other martial arts.

The point is, the honest TKD schools will admit to you that Black Belt doesn't mean the same thing to them that it does the rest of the world. I'm not advocating what they do at all (that's why I'm no longer with them), and abhor seeing any Black Belt (child or otherwise) that obviously is not qualified to wear a Black Belt.

Let's face it, the world still thinks of Black Belt as meaning "really good at martial arts and self defense", and because of that, I cry "malpractice" on any school that makes it easy to get a Black Belt. When you see a Special Forces person from the U.S. Military you think "really skilled, qualified, best of the best, trained military person" because that's the reputation they've built over the years. Eventually people will learn to see that not all Black Belts equal Bruce Lee, and the perception will change. Until then...well...barf.
    Actually this just demonstrates for me the difference in TKD orgs and schools. I learned TKD(Muk Do Kwon) under Master Roy Wade(5 Dan when I started, just earned 6th when I left) in NJ. There black belt was a five year process(you could get to Red, 1st Gup) in 3.5-4, but the next step was a year away. Then it was minimum two years between Dans up to 4, and 5yrs between from then up. When I asked him once about tenth Dan, he said that's what they award you when your 90, and they are trying to be kind. Anything above Greenbelt(5th Gup) also required regular attendance at FC training(all for the same price and tests were free, but you did have to pay $10 for your belt if you advanced).

When I first started lurking here, because of my experience, I wondered why everyone was so down on TKD, then I realized, either my school was unique or highly rare, but it was not the norm.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123