Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    two year black belts. Thats a true sign of horseshit.

And these people wonder why a belt is worth zero respect

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo & Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many TKD dojangs claim that you can "potentially" earn a 1st Degree Black Belt in 2 years. A school system I was involved with back in the day admitted that 1st Degree Black Belt meant nothing more than "proficiency in the basics of Taekwondo", and not mastery of it. They even admitted that their 1st Degree Black Belts did not look as good as other 1st Degree Black Belts, but as time goes on, and those students advance in rank (2 years to be eligible to test for 2nd Degree, 3 for 3rd, etc etc.), the playing field levels out with other martial arts.

The point is, the honest TKD schools will admit to you that Black Belt doesn't mean the same thing to them that it does the rest of the world. I'm not advocating what they do at all (that's why I'm no longer with them), and abhor seeing any Black Belt (child or otherwise) that obviously is not qualified to wear a Black Belt.

Let's face it, the world still thinks of Black Belt as meaning "really good at martial arts and self defense", and because of that, I cry "malpractice" on any school that makes it easy to get a Black Belt. When you see a Special Forces person from the U.S. Military you think "really skilled, qualified, best of the best, trained military person" because that's the reputation they've built over the years. Eventually people will learn to see that not all Black Belts equal Bruce Lee, and the perception will change. Until then...well...barf.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it.
    Their website says they "fear the knot".
    How come they're tying it on their black belt already in 2 years?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:15am

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really calling anything on this school as anytime there is a "club" who gets kids out and active I view it as a positive; however there are some things that do bother me.

First look at the webpage did bring up a whole bunch of NAPMA bells. NAPMA is not a bad thing and does offer some guidance for schools trying to make some money but this almost looks overboard for my taste.

Second thing is that the head instructors look to be so new to the art that they can't possibly have enough experience to teach. There resume's don't look that impressive . . . but can't judge since I have no first hand experience.

Thing that really bothers me is the "master" of the school. Using the title master in TKD is overused as it is but at third degree Kukkiwon standard that title is not given. I think that this "master" is simply using the title to give some crediblitly to his chain of schools and justifies it by saying he is the head of the school (KwanJang).
    :flipando:

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:15am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3rd degree is normally the rank at which you are considered an Instructor. 2nd is Assistant Instructor. 5th is Master.

And getting your 1st dan in 2 years just makes me sick. I consider 4 years a minimum time to 1st dan, anything faster than that and you were either A. Working 12 hrs/day 6 days/week or something else insane. Or you were run through a belt factory.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:26am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know anything about the ACMA program that he used to get his "Teaching Certification." I wonder if we could get the book and take a look at it, and see what the ACMA/NAPMA requires to be a certified ma instructor.

http://www.napma.com/page.cfm/6,0,0,0,0,42,0,0.html

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1st Degree Blackbelt
    Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

LOL @ Fitness, notice the pube goatee defining the gap between his Home AND away chins.

EDIT : I just noticed this guy too :

"LOL Teehee I just took a dump in one of the kids sandwiches!"
    Last edited by Red Sauce; 2/07/2007 9:47am at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As bad as that place may or may not be (I haven't bothered to look yet), I have to wonder about the OP. With this being his first post and it being somewhat over the top negative and without what seems like an attempt at a real investigation, the OP is showing the classic signs of someone with a grudge who thinks this sub-forum is just for bashing people they don't personally like.

EDIT: I just examined the website. Though obviously McDojo, they give enough indication for me to believe they are just commercial and not sleazy and/or predatory. Additionally, the only real indication of Bullshido is a small blurb about "practical self-defense skills". As for the rest of it, their intended purpose does not seem to be "t3h d3ad1y". So, it appears to me as if they are pretty clear as to what they are offering. Although some might think the instructors are young, they do appear to be making efforts to have their teaching certification in order and have proper supervision over their curriculum.

In the absence of anything further information from the OP, I don't think this thread belongs in this sub-forum. If people want to make fun of goatees and double chins, IMO, it would be approprate to move this thread to YMAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Anyone know anything about the ACMA program that he used to get his "Teaching Certification." I wonder if we could get the book and take a look at it, and see what the ACMA/NAPMA requires to be a certified ma instructor.

http://www.napma.com/page.cfm/6,0,0,0,0,42,0,0.html
    For whatever reason, this strikes a chord in me. I will make the necessary effort over the next couple of months to go through that program. I will be giving my impressions along the way here. This will take a while to do right, so be patient.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/07/2007 10:28am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    As bad as that place may or may not be (I haven't bothered to look yet), I have to wonder about the OP. With this being his first post and it being somewhat over the top negative and without what seems like an attempt at a real investigation, the OP is showing the classic signs of someone with a grudge who thinks this sub-forum is just for bashing people they don't personally like.

EDIT: I just examined the website. Though obviously McDojo, they give enough indication for me to believe they are just commercial and not sleazy and/or predatory. Additionally, the only real indication of Bullshido is a small blurb about "practical self-defense skills". As for the rest of it, their intended purpose does not seem to be "t3h d3ad1y". So, it appears to me as if they are pretty clear as to what they are offering. Although some might think the instructors are young, they do appear to be making efforts to have their teaching certification in order and have proper supervision over their curriculum.

In the absence of anything further information from the OP, I don't think this thread belongs in this sub-forum. If people want to make fun of goatees and double chins, IMO, it would be approprate to move this thread to YMAS.

****, my bad, I thought this was in YMAS already. Yes definatly should be moved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 11:14am

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Wolf,

I've seen that before and actually have gone through some of it. It really isn't that bad, but I feel that it could be supplimented with some more material. That being said it was quite awhile ago I looked at it, didn't get to in depth, and unfortunately I can't reference it as I don't have the material available to me. If Tom is going to go through it, I would be willing to chat with him about it in terms of what he is seeing and give him my opinion on the material . . . for whatever that may be worth.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast