Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Yeah, I'm not sure if its because I'm using Firefox or what, but it keeps smashing my paragraphs together. I tried to edit it three times without success.
    yahhhhh!!!!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya know, even though I've fought muay thai matches and I've watched a freaking buttload, I'm still kind of fuzzy on a lot of the rules. One reason being, things change a lot depending on where you fight/who's sanctioning the fight. Octaviousbp and Khun Kao would probably be much better sources on the subject than me, but I'll say what I think I've learned and they can correct me on whatever errors I make.

Standard muay thai rules (like what you get in Thailand) include strikes pretty much anywhere on the body (usually groin strikes are against the rules, but not always). Scoring seems to be largely determined based on who seems to have more control in the match. There aren't exactly points for techniques landed so much as whoever is showing dominance in the clinch (ability to throw more effective knees, throws etc.), whoever appears to be more active, more in shape, more technical, more relaxed. And then of course you get wins by TKO (often caused by cuts due to elbow strikes) and KO.

I think that's generally how the thai and thai derived rulesets go, give or take a few techniques (certain elbow and knee strikes being banned depending on who's sanctioning).

My opinions on rulesest: There should be rulesets with technique restriction to varrying degrees for people more or less willing to get hospitalized for nasty gashes, broken noses etc.

Kat didn't really approve of the idea of me fighting full thai rules (with elbows and knees to the face) in my last fight because she didn't want to take me to the hospital afterwards. I like the idea of getting to fight in a fairly open ruleset, but if you're not getting paid then you may not want to go so far as to get taken to the hospital every couple matches.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    My opinions on rulesest: There should be rulesets with technique restriction to varrying degrees for people more or less willing to get hospitalized for nasty gashes, broken noses etc.

Kat didn't really approve of the idea of me fighting full thai rules (with elbows and knees to the face) in my last fight because she didn't want to take me to the hospital afterwards. I like the idea of getting to fight in a fairly open ruleset, but if you're not getting paid then you may not want to go so far as to get taken to the hospital every couple matches.
    Thats pretty much my reservations with regards to knees and elbow to the face. How do y'all train those in an alive fashion in your school while avoiding lost teeth and broken noses? Do you wear big boffo knee and elbow pads and hedgear with some face protection?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:15pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, while it sounds like a blast to elbow and knee people in the face I think a lot of people forget that their opponents can do that, too.

Modified muay thai rules like Spatch and myself usually fight does not allow elbows or knees to the face and seems to be relatively safe barring injuries such as broken feet from kicking some hard part of their body. I can't say I've seen many people get seriously injured in this ruleset. banked up shins and feet and the occasional busted nose but not really any giant cuts or anything.

Some takedowns are allowed in the form of certain throws. (no hip throws, no foot behind the leg trips, no leg takedowns) You can catch legs and kick legs out from under people. All in all it's a very open ruleset that seems like a strong compromise between safety and openness.

In our experiance it's been so safe that it's easy to forget that one could wind up in the hospital if things go sour.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:18pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our school doesnt really deal with knees and elbows to the face. In the past I've been known to lightly tap people in the head with a knee or place an elbow and then push. Usually while they're wearing headgear.

This one time a guy I was working with without headgear rushed in on me and I crossed my arms in front of me to prevent it and he wound up catching his eye on my elbow and opening up a solid gash. I was surprised at how easy it cut him.

Fairtex supposedly sells very nice elbow pads, i've not gotten to work with them as of yet but I plan to pick some up at some point.

As for knees, they seem to be realtively easy to control. i don't think I've ever really hurt someone with a knee to the head in sparring but I'd probably suggest knee pads if one is going to be kneeing ones partners frequently, an accidental hard contact is bound to happen.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Thats pretty much my reservations with regards to knees and elbow to the face. How do y'all train those in an alive fashion in your school while avoiding lost teeth and broken noses? Do you wear big boffo knee and elbow pads and hedgear with some face protection?
    Bleh, as far as our school is concnerned, there is very little training of that stuff at all, let alone alive training of it. When I was preparing for my Full Thai match, I had Kat wear elbow pads and try to clobber me with elbows whenever she saw the opening (durring sparring). We only had one pair of pads so I concentrated more on defending than attacking with them. For knees, it was a matter of keeping my head out of dangerous places. She'd spar me normally and try to get me to bend over for whatever reason (most common place for people to put their head in a bad position being knees or punches to the body causing them to double over to a degree and then allow their head to get pulled into a knee).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Anna and Kid, those are some good points to know. I don't think the Muay Thai school at my Jiu Jitsu school trains knees or elbows to the face it sparring, but I've seen the MMA guys doing it a bit with elbow and knee pads on going for light contact.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 9:14pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont see any reason to add knee or elbow strikes to the head. Remember hat not everyone wants to get hurt. Training alive is taining as realistic as possible while being as safe as possible. Elbows and knees tend to hurt and owuld turn away a great deal of practitioners, at least I think.

I think a very good compromise would be to allow only kicks and punches as in TKD, along with the sweeps and what not for everybody. As an option in tournaments, maybe higher belts, would get to add in knees to the body.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 9:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would people here think about a ten-point-must system for TKD, rather then points per blow?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

poser

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 10:14pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    What would people here think about a ten-point-must system for TKD, rather then points per blow?
    Ten-point must is too subjective IMO, especially for the Olympics, where excessive subjectivity will invariably lead to a scandal. Points per blow is hard to mess up, since it's a pretty quantitative/objective system. Of course, the definition of a "blow" might be lame depending on the ruleset, but that's another problem entirely.
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast