Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    So in keeping with what I have learned on this subject:

Doesn't match with the literature on the funtional aspect OR the historical definitions. These ideas are the result of a lot of later folks trying to jump on the internal bandwagon. The defining phrase of Taijiquan, "gang rou xiang ji" means "the perfect interaction of HARD and soft". Boiling it down to those kinds of EXTERNAL qualities does a disservice to pretty much everyone else. Better practitioners of ALL styles from ALL countries tend to be pretty soft and relaxed when they get more experience.
    I have done NO research. I just do. With the exception of tai chi (yang) anything I've learned that I've been told is internal are exercises. But, what you are saying makes perfect sense to me.

My question is, do we really need these terms?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:59am

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The intangibles such as:

-intent
    -presence
    -"heart"
    -"qi"
    -unity of purpose
    -anything else that is not measurable and exists only....as part of your own internal world......

...is INTERNAL

This stuff is spelled out pretty clearly by Sun Lutang and the other people in his circle who coined the term.
    I understand all this.
    BUT:
    How do you evaluate something that is by definition not manifestable? This is pure thinking, it does not translate to objctive reality. And I'm not saying that subjective reality is invalid, it's just not something that can be handled with logic. It evades all attempts at formulating a testable hypothesis. There simply is NO WAY to evaluate all this (intent, presence, heart, qi, unity of purpose). So what good is your lineage for? Replace any of the above attributes with "the schwartz" and nothing will change.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    I think this is the key question.

Tomas

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    I understand all this.
    BUT:
    How do you evaluate something that is by definition not manifestable? This is pure thinking, it does not translate to objctive reality. And I'm not saying that subjective reality is invalid, it's just not something that can be handled with logic. It evades all attempts at formulating a testable hypothesis. There simply is NO WAY to evaluate all this (intent, presence, heart, qi, unity of purpose). So what good is your lineage for? Replace any of the above attributes with "the schwartz" and nothing will change.

Tomas

Thanks for putting a few more words into my gut suspicion that "internal" vs. "external" is a false duality. This is why I prefer "soft approach" vs. "hard approach" as I defined it above.

"Chi means air. How do you cultivate Chi? Breathe so you don't die." -- Moy Yat.

I'd +rep you for the post, but apparently I have a crush on you and need to do some pushups.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/09/2007 11:12am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:31am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done NO research. I just do. With the exception of tai chi (yang) anything I've learned that I've been told is internal are exercises. But, what you are saying makes perfect sense to me.

Yes.

That is all I'll say right now.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:50pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a simplistic way to put this:
    The main principles in anything considered "internal" are breathing and a lack of tension in the joints for the most part. Be relaxed. The soft. The Yin.

The main principle in anything considered "external" is tension, the hard, the Yang.

CMA is dominated by the philosophy of the yin/yang, and the systems have both within them. The 3 Omar mentioned are the big 3 internal styles, you could guess anything else you come across will be external.

I also tend to think that arts with Buddhist background are external, where taoist foundations are internal.
    This is the typical argument that is much about putting down the other style rather than defining what is special about your own. As was posted earlier, so-called external arts trained at an advanced level involve relaxation, ridding tension, etc.

You also have the popular misconception that internal = yin. I can only speak for TCC, but for us internal = (yin + yang). (It's a dull party if it's all girls or all guys, IMHO.)

As for the religious or philosophical underpinnings of any particular MA... most of what I have heard is either terribly abstract or has the whiff of bullshido.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand all this.
    BUT:

Tomas
    And yet, people evaluate those sorts of things in all sorts of professional fields o a regular basis and that includes athletic coaches. The scientists are often enlisted to help but the coaches themselves make decisions and give advice on a daily basis based on their gut, their intuition. They evaluate their players on things like "character", "inspiration", "creativity", "wileyness" and so on. Boxing, basketball and gymnastics coaches all rely on these intangibles. Why are CMA instructors forbidden to do so just because they use funny jargon that you aren't comfortable with.

So what good is your lineage for?

A number of things but in this case I brought it up only to distinguish the information I am presenting on "what defines internal" as an official, well defined view that is has been agreed upon by experts in the field as opposed to information based on just my impressions or google searches. A question was asked about a term that was coined by a specific group of professionals in a specific field, and lineage is the closest thing that exists to a formal credential in this particular field, namely, IMA.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yet, people evaluate those sorts of things in all sorts of professional fields o a regular basis and that includes athletic coaches. The scientists are often enlisted to help but the coaches themselves make decisions and give advice on a daily basis based on their gut, their intuition. They evaluate their players on things like "character", "inspiration", "creativity", "wileyness" and so on. Boxing, basketball and gymnastics coaches all rely on these intangibles.
    I'm quoting you:
    "(internal is)...anything else that is not measurable and exists only....as part of your own internal world..."

If it is not measurable, it can not be evaluated.

So what these coaches are evaluating must be different from what you consider "internal".

Why are CMA instructors forbidden to do so just because they use funny jargon that you aren't comfortable with.
    Well, it is true that I'm not comfortable with it, but I don't think it's forbidden. And it is not the jargon, it is the mindset. I just think it is unproductive, that's all. And I don't care as long as it is kept in the realm of philosophy. But I'll argue with you if you try to present it as objective reality.

Tomas

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I don't care as long as it is kept in the realm of philosophy. But I'll argue with you if you try to present it as objective reality.
    rrrrrrggggggggggggggrhaaaaaaaa
    aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR
    RRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH.

Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar:

I think I have just scored a logical ippon with the "can't be measured" thing...:)

But anyway, I'll cut you some slack...:)
    You listed other internal attributes:

-posture
    -structure
    -body mechanics
    -breathing patterns

And these certainly CAN be evaluated. But ask 100 people that consider themselves "external" or those that do not subscribe to the external/internal dichotomy and they will all tell you that those same attributes are at the core of their respective sport/art. And not just combat sport/art, but really any physical activity.
    Can you name a sport where "body mecanics" doesn't matter? Posture?......

See how redundant the terms are?

Tomas
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast