Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Purely out of interest from a friend's comment.

A close friend of mine has been doing kung fu for a few years and we were talking about martial arts recently. He mentioned to me that if I was ever going to learn a kung fu style that was well rounded, Hung Gar would probably be my best bet due to the sheer size of the curriculum and that it 'does everything.' When I asked him what he meant, he explained that there are things like Wing Chun's trapping, karate like sparring, qinna within the tiger side of the animal training, there is apparently some tong bei aspects (like whip arm and power generation through the back is similar) and at the high end stuff there's even some commonality with Bagua on the internal side.

Could any of the Hung Gar crowd verify this because it sounds impressive from someone, but I know very little of the system other than it's 'four pillars' the five animals are a big thing I keep hearing about and how it's apparently got a lot of body conditioning.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on how it is trained, just like any art. With the correct teacher any kung fu style can be well rounded. Unfortunately, most are taught in a crappy manner with the hype your friend just sold you on. Nope, not saying he is training in a clown school, but I am always leery of the "my style encompasses everything" statements.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    A close friend of mine has been doing kung fu for a few years and we were talking about martial arts recently. He mentioned to me that if I was ever going to learn a kung fu style that was well rounded, Hung Gar would probably be my best bet due to the sheer size of the curriculum and that it 'does everything.' When I asked him what he meant, he explained that there are things like Wing Chun's trapping, karate like sparring, qinna within the tiger side of the animal training, there is apparently some tong bei aspects (like whip arm and power generation through the back is similar) and at the high end stuff there's even some commonality with Bagua on the internal side.

Could any of the Hung Gar crowd verify this because it sounds impressive from someone, but I know very little of the system other than it's 'four pillars' the five animals are a big thing I keep hearing about and how it's apparently got a lot of body conditioning.
    The crane system has the Chi na. There are no real ground techniques. There are throws. Hung Gar schools tend to be good but like all arts, completely depend upon the instructor.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with those two above.
    There's no ground fighting in the system.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I agree with those two above.
    There's no ground fighting in the system.

are there many kung fu styles with ground fighting? If Hung does have throws/grappling/striking etc it sounds like it does a lot of things while other systems might only focus on one or two things.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    are there many kung fu styles with ground fighting? If Hung does have throws/grappling/striking etc it sounds like it does a lot of things while other systems might only focus on one or two things.
    It's debatable. My first art was Judo, so I "found" ground techniques in my Eagle Claw and Leopard techniques, but in reality not on the level as we understand ground fighting.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    It's debatable. My first art was Judo, so I "found" ground techniques in my Eagle Claw and Leopard techniques, but in reality not on the level as we understand ground fighting.
    Thats what I was thinking, as someone whose doing judo myself, i find a lot of chinese systems mean something different to the context most of us have of ground fighting since BJJ came about. Take a look at Fujian Dog Boxing, thats meant to be a ground fighting system, but it doesnt seem to deal with anything the same way

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Omega.
    Hung can mesh well with Judo but instruction is just not very consistent from what I've seen.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, Fujian Dog boxing is not grappling. Let's make sure we stop with the semantic garbage. Kung Fu has ground techniques, so does wrestling. BJJ brought it to the forefront and certain kung fu guys started saying "look my crane has BJJ/Wrestling" moves. No, just no. Fighting on the ground with submissions is different than fighting up from the ground, where much of kung fu is situated. Pay CAREFUL attention to Omega's words. A Judo guy FOUND similar things in his Kung Fu.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, Fujian Dog boxing is not grappling. Let's make sure we stop with the semantic garbage. Kung Fu has ground techniques, so does wrestling. BJJ brought it to the forefront and certain kung fu guys started saying "look my crane has BJJ/Wrestling" moves. No, just no. Fighting on the ground with submissions is different than fighting up from the ground, where much of kung fu is situated. Pay CAREFUL attention to Omega's words. A Judo guy FOUND similar things in his Kung Fu.

Yes, exactly.
    I hate that bullshit.

This part:
    but in reality not on the level as we understand ground fighting.
    is the heart of it.