Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I'm guessing you weren't using it at the proper range... seeing as how that would be just about impossible given the height difference.
    Out of range (well , I would have been in range if he hadn't been everybit of 6'6" and could knee me in the chest as he entered the edge of my jabbing range ), bad technique , no hand wrap , Kai's funny shaped head . There were lots of reasons why I fucked up my right hand ( my actual hand , behind the ring finger knuckle and pinky knuckles ) .

I know what I did wrong and how to correct it , but knowing and doing are two completely different things .

Since then I have been working my jab and lead hook . Still not much power in the jab ... but the hook seems to be hitting harder because I am throwing it tighter and letting the the hip chamber a round kick or the stepping in (squaring off ) and raising heel for a cross or upper cut depending on how badly I have judged the distance .

Have not been sparring hard all that much recently , so this is mostly feedback from pad holders and bag work .

Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    My coach has been showing me a way to get more power out of my hook by bringing my back foot up almost (but not quite) even with my lead foot. As you bring the back foot up you turn at the waist a little to give you more leverage, and as you throw it you shift all your weight from your lead to your back leg. I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly, but unfortunately I don't have pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about. When thrown this way the punch has the potential to end the fight, but it's a lot more difficult to set up. You have to be very close to your opponent, and the timing necessary to step in and bring your rear foot up before throwing the punch is tricky. So far I love the amount of power I can generate by throwing it this way, but I'm still a long way from being able to set it up and land it on an opponent. Does anyone else throw hooks this way, and if so how do you set them up?
    Nope , your coach is bat **** insane in my opinion , but I still want to see how this works because I am pretty sure I am the ignorant **** in this situation .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:15pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're talking about a sort of last second stance change to give more room for your hooks to generate momentum? You'll have to show me the technique exactly so I can really grok it. I guess I sort of accidentally threw a couple hooks like this at one of my fights at the WAKO tournament and while they felt strong I don't think I was able to get as much drive through as I get with the standard pivoted hook.
    Yeah, the idea is to position you legs right before you throw the hook so that you can get the maximum amount of power out of it. I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about, but it comes with the disclaimer that this is something new for me so I don't completely understand it yet.

As an aside I couldnt really visualize what B2B was talking about but when I see him next I'll learn his secrets and post a video online and those of us who aren't good at picturing words can discuss it.

Cool! It's always tough trying to describe motions with words; a video would help a lot but I don't have a camera.

The stepping of the backfoot can be done right before or right after, but not simultanious to the acceleration of the arm. When acceleration takes place both feet need to be planted.
    Now, we have been thaught (and I use it this way) that you do this primarily to change the angle of attack (after the stepping off with the rear foot).
    So what I do is throw the left hook, and as the punch is landing (after acceleration) the rear foot is stepping off at an angle. You may have to sacrifice some power to make a quick step with rear foot. This gives me a new angle relative to my opponent (I'm on the "outside" now), and opens up a ton of openings, while my opponent is busy squaring up to me (otherwise he can't attack me). It's also sort of a secret ninja technique, in the sense that it makes you momentarily "invisible" to your opponent. Right after your left hook has landed on his guard and blocked his vision, you have stepped off, and he can no longer see you through his guard. You are now in his "blind spot" created by his left glove.
    I use this all the time in sparring, as soon as some covers up just a bit too much. If my opponent is not so good at boxing this will confuse the hell out of him, since I keep rotating around him landing punches as soon as he peeks to see where I am.
    It is true that if you step first and then throw the punch it will be a bit stiffer than a normal hook, but I don't think it's worth it since it doesn't cover your change of attack angle as good. So I generally like to accelerate the arm and then step.
    But I can understand that you feel you get so much more power, this is because your target is closer to your left side, which means you don't have to rotate your hips as much to hit him. I'm guessing that when you throw a normal hook, you're not rotating your hips as much as you potentially could. That might be why you feel a big differance in power.

You asked about how to set this up. Well, you do this at the end of a boxing combination, after any right hand punch. So you throw the left hook and step, after that there will be a slight pause in the rythm, but that's ok because you're at a new angle. After this short pause you have balance enough to start a new combo of any sort.
    So this is not something you can pull off as a first punch. It works best when your opponent is shelling up a bit and you can see he is just waiting for you to give him a gap so that he can counter with his own flurry. Because as you have stepped off creating the new angle, he opens up to counter you, but you are no longer there... perfect, he's now open for your right cross. :)
    If he hasn't opened up you will still find openings for bodyshots and lowkicks.
    Thanks! The way I've been practicing it I bring my back leg up right after a straight right. Positioning your feet the way I'm talking about accentuates the hip rotation and weight transfer, almost so much that it's exagerated. It's kind of awkward, but the up side is that if you land it you can generate devastating power. I'm looking at it from a boxing stand point though, so low kicks aren't an option for me.

Nope , your coach is bat **** insane in my opinion , but I still want to see how this works because I am pretty sure I am the ignorant **** in this situation .
    LOL... he probably is more than a little crazy, but in a diabolical and sadistic way so I pay attention to him :p

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FromBell2Bell, how would you say that this compares to stepping forward and to the side with your lead leg, for adding power to your hooks. Besides the obvious moving in that way telegraphs your hooks.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine what he's talking about to look something like the hooks I throw in this gif

though with more hip rotation. I was kinda arm punching there.
    In case From Bell2Bell missed it...

Does that resemble what you're talking about?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like your heel is lifting when you punch too. I think it's because you're stepping into it, so it's unavoidable. These are good things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 3:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FromBell2Bell, how would you say that this compares to stepping forward and to the side with your lead leg, for adding power to your hooks. Besides the obvious moving in that way telegraphs your hooks.
    I'm not sure, to be honest I don't usually take a step when I throw a hook, but my lead foot def. slides when I do it the way I'm talking about.

In case From Bell2Bell missed it...

Does that resemble what you're talking about?
    It looks like you're doing something very similar, but not quite as calculated. I think it's the same idea, just not quite as precise- of course that might just be because that was a real opponent and stuff rarely happens as cleanly in a fight as it does when you're training. This hook kind of reminds me of the transitions in trad. kung fu stances because the weight transfer is so pronounced.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 4:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It looks like you're doing something very similar, but not quite as calculated. I think it's the same idea, just not quite as precise- of course that might just be because that was a real opponent and stuff rarely happens as cleanly in a fight as it does when you're training. This hook kind of reminds me of the transitions in trad. kung fu stances because the weight transfer is so pronounced.
    Yeah, the way it happens in the video is fairly accidental, so it would make sense that what it's SUPPOSED to be is much cleaner looking ;)

Things get sloppy in a fight and stuff just happens. But now I've got somewhat of an understanding of what you're talking about.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the way it happens in the video is fairly accidental, so it would make sense that what it's SUPPOSED to be is much cleaner looking ;)

Things get sloppy in a fight and stuff just happens. But now I've got somewhat of an understanding of what you're talking about.
    I didn't mean that to sound critical btw... I can't fault you in that gif. because you obviously did a good job of smacking the **** out of that girl.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't mean that to sound critical btw... I can't fault you in that gif. because you obviously did a good job of smacking the **** out of that girl.

Oh no worries, I didn't think you were criticising my execution. How I understood what you said was just that what I was doing wasn't intentional, so doing a technique accidentally isn't going to look precisely correct. Which is of course true :)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234