Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 11:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my hand on Kai's face throwing a sloppy horizontal hook to the face .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 12:09am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Was it the small knuckle?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I'm guessing you weren't using it at the proper range... seeing as how that would be just about impossible given the height difference.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 12:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic discussion about where you post has been moved here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50953
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:05am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say i've ever had any kind of problem with my hand aligned either way. I generally prefer vertical because I think i throw my hooks from a fair distance away. When I'm really close I prefer to post on them with my left hand to make space and then deck them with the right.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:07am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside I couldnt really visualize what B2B was talking about but when I see him next I'll learn his secrets and post a video online and those of us who aren't good at picturing words can discuss it.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    As an aside I couldnt really visualize what B2B was talking about but when I see him next I'll learn his secrets and post a video online and those of us who aren't good at picturing words can discuss it.
    Yeah, I was trying to do the punch the way he described and ended up just looking ridiculous.

I guess the range with the hook does have a lot to do with the way I throw it. A lot of times mine comes off the end of a jab so it's pretty long range as well. Not much power, more of a distraction for straight right.

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    Yeah, I was trying to do the punch the way he described and ended up just looking ridiculous.

I guess the range with the hook does have a lot to do with the way I throw it. A lot of times mine comes off the end of a jab so it's pretty long range as well. Not much power, more of a distraction for straight right.
    I imagine what he's talking about to look something like the hooks I throw in this gif

though with more hip rotation. I was kinda arm punching there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:36am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from another thread, which may be relevent here:

Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    A trick that might help you visualize a proper hook is to imagine a string attached to your hooking elbow and lead knee (in the case of a lead hook), so when the knee moves, the elbow does too, and vice-versa. This will help your muscle memory train proper hook mechanics, and get your body into the hook.

A traditional hook has the hooking arm bent at 90 degrees, and parallel with the ground. The guideline I use is a horizontal fist for hooks at 90 and inside, and a vertical fist for hooks outside of 90 (ie: reaching or open hooks). These are more common in Muay Thai, as they are less powerful, but useful for setting up lowline attacks.
    The main reason why you don't want to hook with a horizontal fist outside of 90 is because of what can happen to your bottom two knuckles, as it seems debul can attest to. I have also heard that Thais prefer to hook horizontal inside 90 because missed hooks transfer into elbows better. Not quite sure if I believe this, cause for me, a hook is a hook, and an elbow is an elbow, could be I guess.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a little hard to see what your back foot is doing in that gif. That is what I'm supposed to be looking at right? Thanks for the info octaviousbp.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast