Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:10pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hooks and Footwork

My coach has been showing me a way to get more power out of my hook by bringing my back foot up almost (but not quite) even with my lead foot. As you bring the back foot up you turn at the waist a little to give you more leverage, and as you throw it you shift all your weight from your lead to your back leg. I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly, but unfortunately I don't have pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about. When thrown this way the punch has the potential to end the fight, but it's a lot more difficult to set up. You have to be very close to your opponent, and the timing necessary to step in and bring your rear foot up before throwing the punch is tricky. So far I love the amount of power I can generate by throwing it this way, but I'm still a long way from being able to set it up and land it on an opponent. Does anyone else throw hooks this way, and if so how do you set them up?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like "sitting" down into the hook the same way you would a cross.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do lower my center of gravity when I go to the body with it- which I love doing because I think if I landed it well I could hit the guy hard enough to make him piss blood:bully:

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you end up with your fist in tighter towards your body when you throw it that way? Almost 90 degrees at the elbow? Also, are you throwing a lead hook or rear hook?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a lead (left in my case) hook, the elbow is bent at a right angle, and my coach wants me to strike with my knuckles verticle. That's something new for me because I'm much more comfortable punching with my knuckles horizontal.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:42pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe me, the knuckles vertical is much better. My hand now has five pins, a plate, and a screw in it due to horizontal knuckles.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    My coach has been showing me a way to get more power out of my hook by bringing my back foot up almost (but not quite) even with my lead foot. As you bring the back foot up you turn at the waist a little to give you more leverage, and as you throw it you shift all your weight from your lead to your back leg. I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly, but unfortunately I don't have pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about. When thrown this way the punch has the potential to end the fight, but it's a lot more difficult to set up. You have to be very close to your opponent, and the timing necessary to step in and bring your rear foot up before throwing the punch is tricky. So far I love the amount of power I can generate by throwing it this way, but I'm still a long way from being able to set it up and land it on an opponent. Does anyone else throw hooks this way, and if so how do you set them up?

So you're talking about a sort of last second stance change to give more room for your hooks to generate momentum? You'll have to show me the technique exactly so I can really grok it. I guess I sort of accidentally threw a couple hooks like this at one of my fights at the WAKO tournament and while they felt strong I don't think I was able to get as much drive through as I get with the standard pivoted hook.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    Believe me, the knuckles vertical is much better. My hand now has five pins, a plate, and a screw in it due to horizontal knuckles.
    The thing about the horizontal fist is that it's easier to generate power from close range, as you don't have to cock your elbow out as much.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 11:25pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but if you land it wrong, like on your two smaller knuckles, it really sucks. I guess the potential is there with any punch, but that just seems to increase it. I've gotten to the point now that the horizontal-knuckle-punch just doesn't feel right anymore. I feel like I have no power when I throw it that way. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 11:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the horizontal hook a lot when I'm in clinch range and have never really found it to be awkward or put my hand in a dangerous position. Then again, I'm not that good at generating power with my hooks from that range so there ya go.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast