Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KMA History Bibliography

Since the discussion of the history of the various KMA seems to be one of the main interests of DerAuslander in starting this knew forum, I thought it might be fitting if we start up a bibliography of good sources for the history of Korean Martial Arts (not Black Belt Magazine or Kukkiwon Textbook fiction).

I'll start with a couple of articles that I've found informative.

Capener, SD, "Problems in the Identity and Philosophy of Taekwondo and Their Historical Causes," Korea Journal, (Winter, 1995).

Dohrenwend, Robert, "The Truth About Taekwondo - An Historical Appraisal Part 1 and Part 2," Dragon Times, Volume 22 & 23.

Madis, Eric, "The Evolution of Taekwondo from Japanese Karate," Koryu Journal, (4th Quarter, 2002).

Kang Wang-sik and Lee Kyong-myong, The Modern History of Taekwondo, (Seoul: Bokyung Moonhwasa, 1995).ir Historical Causes,” Korea Journal (Winter 1995).
    Historical Causes,”
    Korea Journal (Winter 1995).
    D. (1995). Problems in the Identity and Philosophy of Taekwondo and Their Historical Causes. Korea Journal (Winter 1995).

Capener, S. D. (1995). Problems in the Identity and Philosophy of Taekwondo and Their Historical Causes. Korea Journal (Winter 1995).

poser

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:16pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also Choi Hong Hi's book, Taekwon-do: The Art of Self-Defense, but good luck finding a copy, and I think he padded his resumé a bit, but it should be a pretty solid source.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 9:50pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some interesting reading from the Martial Arts History Project: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3897

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Some interesting reading from the Martial Arts History Project: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3897
    Yes it is sad that it took the internet to make these people own up to the truth.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Yes it is sad that it took the internet to make these people own up to the truth.
    1 - The first arcticles on this were in print media, not the Internet.

2 - By "these people" I assume you mean the Kukkiwon and other TKD/KMA organizations that promote the 2000yr history BS? If so, then they still haven't admited the truth. Just peruse their Web sites or any of their recent print publications. The 2000 year old history of KMA myth is as alive as the Tangun myth of the 4000 year history of Korean civillization.

3 - This thread isn't about bashing the proponents of this myth. Its about providing bibliographical information on the history of KMA for those that are interested in doing some reading.

With 3) in mind, here is a link to an article on the contreversial history of Hapkido: http://php.indiana.edu/~burdickd/hkd_hist_1.html
    Last edited by TEA; 2/08/2007 2:23pm at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I know there has been written material on real history prior to the internet. My point, which I should have made more clear, was that the internet has been a key catylst in getting the truth out there to the masses, allowing more access to information that, prior to the internet, has been either hard to get or only offered to a few people.

2) Yes, "these people" are a reference to the people who helped propogate the 2000 year old myth. Not Koreans themselves, if that is what you thought I meant.

3) Look through much of the history threads and other KMA related threads on this site. You will find that I am one of the biggest KMA proponent on the site. I am not hear to bash. The information I have provided and have learned is based on articles as well as discussions with people who were there during the developing days. Any information I give I try to provide whatever reference I have, but more than not, it has been through disussions with my wife's relatives and friends inside the KMA that I have received my info from.

I'm not a noob trying to bash the arts my dongsaeng who runs this joint can testify to that. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I know there has been written material on real history prior to the internet. My point, which I should have made more clear, was that the internet has been a key catylst in getting the truth out there to the masses, allowing more access to information that, prior to the internet, has been either hard to get or only offered to a few people.
    Wakatta. Good point. Still, the BSers are just as prolific, if not more so, about getting their message out.

2) Yes, "these people" are a reference to the people who helped propogate the 2000 year old myth. Not Koreans themselves, if that is what you thought I meant.
    Actually, I just wanted to make sure that by "these people" you weren't tarring all KMAers with the same brush. Thanks for the clarification. The whole 2000 year myth history is a result of the virulent anti-Japanese sentiment that is in part a natural reaction against Japanese colonialism, but was greatly exacerbated by Korean politicians in the '40s and '50s in order to either murky up the waters around their own ties to the Japanese or to claim to be "th3 r34l" anti-Japanese nationalist. This trend has pretty much continued amongst Korean politicians, with Japan bashing and promotion of Korean culture as #1 being an easy way to boost one's popularity amonst the masses. Since the Kukkiwon has been tightly under the control of the government since its inception, it is not surprising that they have been a moughpiece and vehicle for this propaganda.

3) Look through much of the history threads and other KMA related threads on this site. You will find that I am one of the biggest KMA proponent on the site. I am not hear to bash. The information I have provided and have learned is based on articles as well as discussions with people who were there during the developing days. Any information I give I try to provide whatever reference I have, but more than not, it has been through disussions with my wife's relatives and friends inside the KMA that I have received my info from.

I'm not a noob trying to bash the arts my dongsaeng who runs this joint can testify to that. :)
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't suggesting that you're a noob and I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just trying to make sure that this thread stayed on track with regards to providing bibliographical information and didn't degenerate into a bash revisionist KMA history thread. My apologies for any offense.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Wakatta. Good point. Still, the BSers are just as prolific, if not more so, about getting their message out.
    Good point. Which leads us to why we have this great site that Phrost gave birth too and had many nurse maids nurture it. ;)

Actually, I just wanted to make sure that by "these people" you weren't tarring all KMAers with the same brush. Thanks for the clarification. The whole 2000 year myth history is a result of the virulent anti-Japanese sentiment that is in part a natural reaction against Japanese colonialism, but was greatly exacerbated by Korean politicians in the '40s and '50s in order to either murky up the waters around their own ties to the Japanese or to claim to be "th3 r34l" anti-Japanese nationalist. This trend has pretty much continued amongst Korean politicians, with Japan bashing and promotion of Korean culture as #1 being an easy way to boost one's popularity amonst the masses. Since the Kukkiwon has been tightly under the control of the government since its inception, it is not surprising that they have been a moughpiece and vehicle for this propaganda.
    A few years ago, I might have said...yes...almost all KMA'rs would fall into this category. But may of them have not educated themselves. Still there are many who still hold on to what is being spoon fed to them. You will see a lot of them pop up on here.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't suggesting that you're a noob and I hope you didn't take it that way. I was just trying to make sure that this thread stayed on track with regards to providing bibliographical information and didn't degenerate into a bash revisionist KMA history thread. My apologies for any offense.
    It's all good. The written article that you mentioned earlier has been a huge tool for me. It has helped clarify some of the things I have been privy too through my old TKD instructor as well as my wife's samchun. Though it still leaves out a few parts that I feel are relevant. Like the fact that Jidokwan was very hesitant to join the association in the beginning.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all good. The written article that you mentioned earlier has been a huge tool for me. It has helped clarify some of the things I have been privy too through my old TKD instructor as well as my wife's samchun. Though it still leaves out a few parts that I feel are relevant. Like the fact that Jidokwan was very hesitant to join the association in the beginning.
    Madis goes into a bit of detail about that in his article. I'll have to re-read it, but doesn't the Kang and Lee article also mention Yun Kwei-byung's (founder of Jidokwan) unwillingness to join the KTA (forerunner of the WTF) and the split in Jidokwan when senior instructor Yi Chong-wu joined the KTA with a mojority of the Jidokwan members?

Are you from a Jidokwan lineage, too?
    Last edited by TEA; 2/10/2007 1:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:14pm

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit of unbiased ITF/WTF history!

http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/SECTION2_Main.html

Stuart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast