Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 3:54pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanctioned Street Fighting

We have a promotion in Edmonton that had an event this past weekend. Two football players from our pro team (CFL not NFL) were signed to fight at this event. Unfortunately for the one he was knocked out quickly.
    MFC (Home of Jason McDonald btw)
    http://www.maximumfighting.com/

Well there seems to be some debate now whether or not the CFL should be protecting their investments by limiting players under contract from doing hazardous activities at the risk of injury. That is not the point of this post, but if you want to discuss it go hard.

The real reason for this is more of a rant that there are still sports writers out there that have issues with MMA as a legitamate sport. From the Edmonton Journal.

It's Super Bowl Monday. Your prop bets turned out worse than Janet Gretzky's so your wallet is empty and your liver is still recoiling in horror.
    But at least you didn't get the crap beaten out of you, which is something Edmonton Eskimos fullback Mike Maurer can't say today. He took a dangerous pounding in Saturday's mixed martial arts card here, which brings up two questions.
    Firstly, how can sanctioned bar fighting be seen as sport? And secondly, why the hell are the Eskimos allowing good Canadian talent to put their brains at risk? Maurer has retired to lick his wounds, but Adam Braidwood is apparently continuing with his brawling. If the Eskimos' only recourse is to hope he doesn't get destroyed one day like Maurer did, then the CFL needs tougher language in its contracts.
    Source
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...c-dc781095aac1

I find it aggravating that this attitude still exists; however, I can understand the negative stereotype that MMA does have. I guess the one thing I find hard to believe that there are professional sports writers out there who can dismiss a sport simply because it doesn't fall into the big three (hockey, football, basketball) and are unwilling to do the research into what a sport entails. This is unfortunately not the first time I've had a beef with a sports writer so I don't believe this is an isolated instance.

The fact is that nowadays there is more and more promotion what MMA is and other combative sports, and yet some of the public simply dismisses it as human cockfighting, whereas judo, wrestling, tkd are accepted because of their Olympic standing, or other professional history.

In conclusion . . . **** I hate close minded retards. Very tempted to email the writer and find out what he bases his opinion on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:43pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    I guess the one thing I find hard to believe that there are professional sports writers out there who can dismiss a sport simply because it doesn't fall into the big three (hockey, football, basketball) and are unwilling to do the research into what a sport entails.

Round here, hockey isn't one of the big 3. I guess it's big 4, but even so it doesn't get much press that I see. Hockey is still a bit too much like fighting for some people.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:49pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do believe the UFC now gets better ratings than hockey here, and yeah, I hate those ignorant fucks as well.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point taken . . . okay perhaps the big three in your area does not include hockey. Up here MMA will never ever EVER have a bigger following than hockey does up here. It's almost like a cult following up here. So much that we get the close minded "professionals" doing a disservice for representing the sports community as a whole.

To Bladesinger . . . how does MMA or other combative sports stack up to hockey then in your area (in general) is it viewed the same way or does it carry a worse stereotype?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:51pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it hard to believe that Canadian sports officials and representatives can be so close minded about MMA, when our "official" national sport is lacrosse and our REAL national sport is hockey. Not to mention the popularity rugby enjoys in high schools all across Ontario and the fierce competition in the teams there, but parents and officials encourage these sports, all 3 of which are very violent.

Hockey here is a national pastime. If you don't play hockey, you're at least expected to be able to skate FFF. MMA, however, really isn't...Ontario is the only province other than PEI to not sanction MMA as a sport at all! Yet it's the province that would benefit the most from having MMA sanctioned here. It doesn't matter where they held a UFC event in Toronto, it'd be sold out before you could scrounge up the money for the exhorbitant ticket price.

Ridiculous. When was the last time there was a serious injury in UFC, or any organization with UFC rules? That ruleset definitely takes the edge off of the "combative" and adds to the "sport." That said, probably one of the best things for combative sports would be for it to be accepted in the Olympics. 2 of the 3 big five in MMA are already Olympic events (judo and boxing) so it'd already got a case. If they used a hybrid set of rules from between Pride and UFC, it'd be awesome. That said, for MMA to be accepted at the Olympic level, it'd pretty much have to already have universal acceptance, ne?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahm...what kind of pro sports team DOESN'T have rules against doing other sports in the off season, much less the season? Our semi-pro american football team here in my dinky town doesn't let the guys do other contact sports.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:38am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Bladesinger . . . how does MMA or other combative sports stack up to hockey then in your area (in general) is it viewed the same way or does it carry a worse stereotype?
    Appleton is just a bit south of Green Bay, so it's all football here. Though I've seen more people wandering about with UFC shirts on then any hockey shirts. Other than that, I don't see either sport mentioned much on local type news, maybe some hockey but not much.

However, hockey isn't one of the big 3 in the US at all, so far as I know. It's Football, Basketbal, and Baseball. Hockey gets in the 4, but it really comes and goes, and is definitely stronger where a team is located....and whether that team is doing well. Take this all with a grain of salt though, I stopped paying close attention several years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    ahm...what kind of pro sports team DOESN'T have rules against doing other sports in the off season, much less the season? Our semi-pro american football team here in my dinky town doesn't let the guys do other contact sports.
    The problem with the CFL is that it is so small, a limited season and the players really don't make enough money to make a living off of. Majority of the players have to work during the off season. With that said, yes I agree that they should be limited in what they do, they are after all an investment for the team so they team should have some way to protect their investment. I digress though this is moreso about the MMA image.

BTW bladesinger, apologies for leaving out baseball. Normally I would count that as a big four . . . but lately I've simply passed baseball off as an activity/pasttime. It does have a fairly large following up here.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:14pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a promotion in Edmonton that had an event this past weekend. Two football players from our pro team (CFL not NFL) were signed to fight at this event. Unfortunately for the one he was knocked out quickly.
    MFC (Home of Jason McDonald btw)
    http://www.maximumfighting.com/

Well there seems to be some debate now whether or not the CFL should be protecting their investments by limiting players under contract from doing hazardous activities at the risk of injury. That is not the point of this post, but if you want to discuss it go hard.

The real reason for this is more of a rant that there are still sports writers out there that have issues with MMA as a legitamate sport. From the Edmonton Journal.

Source
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...c-dc781095aac1

I find it aggravating that this attitude still exists; however, I can understand the negative stereotype that MMA does have. I guess the one thing I find hard to believe that there are professional sports writers out there who can dismiss a sport simply because it doesn't fall into the big three (hockey, football, basketball) and are unwilling to do the research into what a sport entails. This is unfortunately not the first time I've had a beef with a sports writer so I don't believe this is an isolated instance.

The fact is that nowadays there is more and more promotion what MMA is and other combative sports, and yet some of the public simply dismisses it as human cockfighting, whereas judo, wrestling, tkd are accepted because of their Olympic standing, or other professional history.

In conclusion . . . **** I hate close minded retards. Very tempted to email the writer and find out what he bases his opinion on.
    I hear you buddy.

I think thats funny because well....MMA is so damn popular around edmonton! Just talk to people!

THe reason the newspaper prints that stuff is to appeal to old fogies who percieve the sport like that.

H

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 12:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    I hear you buddy.

I think thats funny because well....MMA is so damn popular around edmonton! Just talk to people!

THe reason the newspaper prints that stuff is to appeal to old fogies who percieve the sport like that.
    H
    Hell ya. Number of MMA gyms, MFC promotion, King of the Cage has made the visit several times, UFC PPV being advertised on major radio stations and shown at many different Pubs/bars (when the Oil aren't playing).

The Journal writer is the only one not really supporting this. The Edmonton Sun actually has done several MMA articles as well as last year doing a series of articles to promote MMA and inform the public.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast