Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: My introduction

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My introduction

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam and I am a 29 year old on and off again practicioner of TKD and Karate. My whole life I have loved these styles and worked very hard at them. I never earned a black belt but I have always aspired to reach that goal properly.
    Thanks for the site and its info, I have never had to deal with a black belt factory in the past, but I almost signed up for an ATA school's black belt club last week. I didn't because it sounded to much like a sales pitch to buy a belt at 160 dollars a month when I could just order one off any website for less than 10. About 23 nanoseconds on this site and I knew I wasn't going to a black belt factory/aerobics class anytime soon.
    At any rate, I'm currently in St. Louis, and looking for a good school with a Korean or Japanese flavor to it. Anybody got any sugestions?

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, talmage4. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, glad to see that you escaped from the dark side. Look around the site (Bullshido.com seems hard to link to, but there is a great article on how to look for training) and explore the reviews for a bit. If you don't find anything, at least you'll sound smarter when you ask about St. Louis schools.

Oh, I just googled SL and if I think that the cutest girls are probably at St Louis Ki Society where they do Aikido and uh, yoga. And if you want to fight I'm sure that there's some BJJ, MMA, Judo, Boxing, or decent Hawaiian Kempo or Karate or whatever. But **** man, if I was single I'd be the Aikido studley!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, cute girls in a dojo are a nice bonus, but not even the hottest of the hot could get me to pretend to fall down for people doing the one finger throws. i hope i'm not offending anybody, but i have never found an aikido practitioner who succeeded with anything other than convincing others he was a bad ass.
    as far as yoga goes, my mom is way into it and it works for her, but i can stretch on my own.
    i did find a decent school today. very soft sales pitch 2 weeks of daily classes for 25 bucks plus a free gi as a no obligation intro. they have some elements of a mcdojo, but seems pretty solid. when i told them about my experience and ground fighting work i did on the side, they were somewhat impressed and said that they did augment their TKD with ground fighting in the higher ranks.
    i figure the 2 weeks for 25 bucks will at least help me burn off a few pounds of pizza fat i've saved up over the last 3 months of not running or working out, and if not, i have some hella cute pajamas now!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of TKD?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its WTF affiliated, so they do teach the fancy flash and point sparring to the kids, but they did indicate that the advanced students learn more pragmatic fighting along with the sport aspect of it. so, that fits nicely with me. i love the sport of demos and choreographed forms and what not, but i also realize that it's not something to use as a self defense package. that's why i have ALWAYS found instructors that felt the same way.
    basically, my take on TKD is that it is 90% a sport that is a lot of fun and a good work out, and the other 10% is what you make of it, i just happened to make mine a very practical method of defending myself standing and on the ground.
    but like i said, if this school sucks, i'm only out 25 bucks and 5-10 pounds of flab.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever go with ATA or ITA I'll find you and castrate you.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    please do! make me live and suffer. that is a worse punishment than death. the shame of willingly and knowingly spending money at an ATA acadamy. although i don't know anything of ITA. i take it they are 2 nuts on the same hot fudge sundae? ATA and ITA didn't exist in my hometown and i never saw them at meets/demos/tournaments.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, another thing, this school charges a testing fee of no more than 60 bucks for any rank and it includes your belt. unlike ATA that had testing fees that i would need to max out my credit card for.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't do testing fees.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last