Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good lord this is a painfully **** thread. there has never been a truly great boxer in an MMA/k-1 match and won't be until they start giving out multi million dollar paychecks. the top UFC/pride fighters pay is a piss in a fucking swimming pool compared to top boxers paychecks, so why on earth would they risk injury and defeat for nothing?

boxers would win in a boxing match because its what they do, MMA guys would win a mma match because its what they do. crossover either way is going to most probably result in defeat for the guy crossing over. end of story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:50pm

Style: Historic European

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the early day's of boxing circa 1700 headbutt's throw's and such were legal and people got hurt alot a few were even killed hence the rule set for boxing and with those rule's a certain style of puching and a certain strategy has developed, likewise for MMA there ruleset is also to help minimize injury.

Like Alex said unless MMA start's handing out multi million dollar perse's i doubt we will ever see elite level boxer's in MMA.

Jeff

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:00pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wataboxa just wants someone to say that boxing is T3H d34D1y, and that boxers are better athletes than MMA fighters, and that a boxer would woop ass in MMA but MMA fighters would get their asses kicked in boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:40pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    Wataboxa just wants someone to say that boxing is T3H d34D1y, and that boxers are better athletes than MMA fighters, and that a boxer would woop ass in MMA but MMA fighters would get their asses kicked in boxing.
    You couldn't be more wrong homey. I want for people to give their own opinions and insight.. No more, no less. If, you have one please share. Assuming what I want is way off topic.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:46pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gene Lebell proved that grappling > boxing a long time ago. Let alone grappling + kickboxing...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 3:59pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    Gene Lebell proved that grappling > boxing a long time ago. Let alone grappling + kickboxing...

I don't know much about Gene Lebell. So, did he defeat boxers in a boxing ring, under boxing rules? I did ask which MMA artist would adapt to boxing best and succeed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    I don't know much about Gene Lebell. So, did he defeat boxers in a boxing ring, under boxing rules? I did ask which MMA artist would adapt to boxing best and succeed.
    That question is highly speculative, and probably impossible to answer. One can only guess that if the MMA artist is primarily an striker (think Mirko or Wandy), and effective enough to keep most of his fights standing, then he may can adapt his game better/faster to fight under boxing rules if he chooses to.

Also, I like to point out something from opening post (see highlighted text):

I watch UFC, and Pride on occassion. I am not very familiar with the names of fighters. I just watch at times because, I like to see good fight . However, one thing I have noticed is, I don't see guys that are good with their hands to often.
    Explain the meaning of "good with their hands"? Good compared to what? In relation to what? Good for what purpose and on what context? You need to clearly define that before making that type of statements.

So, my question is. What fighters from either of these Organizations could step into a boxing ring and become a champion?
    Whether he becomes a champ, that's another issue, entirely esotherical and different from what you said you asked (asking if he would succeed). If success is determined by becoming a champion, then everybody else is the sports (even in boxing) are a failure.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want for people to give their own opinions and insight..
    Your thread sucks, your parents made a terrible mistake, you need to stop talking and start training, now shut up and squat!
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    Wataboxa just wants someone to say that boxing is T3H d34D1y, and that boxers are better athletes than MMA fighters
    I'd say the average pro boxer almost certainly is a "better athlete" than the average MMA fighter. This would mainly be due to the ability to train full time and afford better trainers and support people. Another factor would be the purse sizes. If you are naturally gifted and can throw hands well, would you choose to earn $100 to fight MMA or earn $5000 fighting a boxing match?

Won't be this way forever. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet we see boxing going the way of judo - Olympic sport but not much else. Every fight fan I know - even the ones that grew up with boxing - follow MMA as much or more.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    + rep
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast