Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 11:59am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Because an Elite level boxer 9or any other single particuler martial art) with no other training besides boxing would get raped by a mediocre experienced well rounded MMA fighter.

Also because of the variables in MMA an elite striker would have to change their stance and approach significantly to compete.

Smaller gloves, take downs, knees elbows and submissions change everything.

I wanted to explore the reverse of your post.

But being as though you brought it up. What changes in stance would the boxer have to adapt to?

Are you implying that a Mike Tyson, Muhammed Ali or Roy Jones in their prime would get owned by an average MMA fighter?

I'll concede the idea of take downs, Knees etc being a major change for the boxer. However, smaller gloves would equal more Knock outs for the Boxer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Me no get it.
    Don't sweat it then my friend. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:03pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean could Cro Cop become a boxer and ko Tyson? No. Equally in MMA Tyson would lose to Cro Cop due to kicks and grappling.

Bear in mind im talkin about Mike Tyson in his prime, not as the washed up reject he is currently.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I base this on personal experience. I train at a place where MMA fighters train and at a boxing gym. When we do straight boxing at the MMA gym I hardly ever get hit and usually always win. At the boxing gym, however, when I spar with good amateur boxers, I don't fair nearly as well. On the occasions I have sparred with professional boxers I've been raped. It's just a different level of striking, not to mention a different kind of striking, than what you normally see in MMA fights.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Also I think it's easier for an elite grappler to get moderate striking skils that support his (or her) grappling than it is for an elite striker to develop grappling skills that support their striking.

However when an Elite striker develops thos grappling skills, watch the **** out. because now you got a Crop Cop on your hands.
    Yes, but these moderate strking skills would get them knocked out in a boxing ring. Correct? Also, why the use of the word strikers? These guys are most certainly taking a traditional boxing stance and throwing boxing punches i.e. left hook, uppercut.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Fedor.

I saw something a while back where klitschko's russian boxing trainer (olympic team trainer) said that Fedor was a top 5 boxer if he went out for it . Gonna try to dig that quote up.

Excellent! I would like to see some of these guys make that move. Hell it's more money in boxing that's for sure. Oscar Delahoya is slated to make somewhere's around 30 million for his next fight.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Videos, goddamnit!

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:07pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    I wanted to explore the reverse of your post.

But being as though you brought it up. What changes in stance would the boxer have to adapt to?

Are you implying that a Mike Tyson, Muhammed Ali or Roy Jones in their prime would get owned by an average MMA fighter?

I'll concede the idea of take downs, Knees etc being a major change for the boxer. However, smaller gloves would equal more Knock outs for the Boxer.
    Yes MMA > Boxing. Due to Kicks and grappling. Theres a video somewhere of Muay Thai owning boxing just with leg kicks. Now add grappling and a professional all round fighter and boxing is severely handicapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    You mean could Cro Cop become a boxer and ko Tyson? No. Equally in MMA Tyson would lose to Cro Cop due to kicks and grappling.

Bear in mind im talkin about Mike Tyson in his prime, not as the washed up reject he is currently.
    I won't debate that. Only because it (match) can never happen. However, watching Mike in his prime reminds me alot of UFC and Pride fighters. In that Tyson would come out with a no holds barred type of warrior style.

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 12:11pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are called strikers because they prefer to... strike. As in, hit something.

Now, my two cents: Professional MMA fighters have to be skilled in all ranges of fighting, and thus, their training schedule reflects that, with the side effect that it is very difficult to focus on one particular thing. Thus, a good MMA fighter, would probably lose to a good boxer, UNDER BOXING RULES. Were the table turned, and a boxer had to fight a MMA fighter under MMA rules, I have little doubt that any damn fighter with half a brain would rather try to focus on the boxers weak sides (kicks and grappling) rather than try to outbox a boxer.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast