Posted On:
    2/04/2007 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

45 caliber ammo

I just had an odd conversation online .

He is claiming a normal off the shelf 1911 chambered for .45's cannot shoot a hollow point round .

I didn't know which thread to attach this to .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 4:54am

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He doesn't know what he is talking about.

By "normal" does he mean Taurus, Colt, Smith & Wesson, STI, Springfield, Armscor, KImber, or one of the other laundry list of makers? Which hollow point is it that can't be shot? Golddots, XTP, Remington, Federal, Winchester, or ... well you get the picture.

Some of the "mil spec" 1911's use to have trouble with the old hollow point designs. With the new ammo and all the polished feed ramps and better machining on guns these days, the problem is much less common. I would even venture to say, with a modern 1911 coming off the lines, that to have one NOT feed hollow points after a break in would be a fluke.

More modern pistols designs align the magazine with the chamber in nearly a straight line. This reduces the angle and amount of feed ramp and makes it easer for ammo to feed, I have hand cycled an empty .45 casing through my Glock before. That does not mean that the 1911 can not feed most ammo though, and indeed will eat almost any decent round manufactured today.

For what it's worth, I use Speer GoldDot 230 gr. hollow points in my Springfield with no problems at all. This is a bottom of the line, el cheapo, Springfield that I bought slightly used and it will feed even a mixed clip without a hitch.

Your poster is just spouting nonsense rumors and has probably never owned/shot a 1911.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on the post, it is very possible. Granted, themajor companies are putting in finer points and refinements to stay competitive. But, back in the old days, the only thing you could cycle through a M1911 was ball ammo. The Colt M1911 to me was akin to Harley Davidson Motorcyles...they were predominately all the same but you had to customize them in order to make them function properly and then to look cool. Both have made the turn around the bend as it would seem.

I hope this helps you.

LG

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the old-school 1911 model was designed for full metal jacket (FMJ). It had a narrow, high feed ramp that would often catch the lip of a jacketed hollow point (JHP.) Moreover, the military never used hollow points and very few civilians did, either, preferring to rely on the size and weight of a 230 gr. bullet.

After WWII, as surplus 1911's became more common, hollow-point ammunition became more common as well. Gunsmiths developed a method for making the pistol handle hollow points in the 1960's and 1970's. They would extend the feed ramp, widen it, and polish it.

When makers like Kimber and Springfield decided to build "loaded" model 1911 clones, the idea was to make a 1911 clone that already had most of the machine work that gunsmiths did on a regular basis on 1911 models. That included the feed ramp modifications, plus "lowering" the ejection port (cutting away the bottom of the port to make it larger so ejected brass doesn't catch the lip) and adding larger, ambidextrous thumb safeties. It also meant installing "beavertail" grip safeties to prevent the hammer from "biting" the shooter's hand and allow a higher grip, and installing good aftermarket sights since the original 1911 had tiny notch sights. By doing that at the factory, they save a ton on the machining work (plus CNC machining makes things like forward grooves on the slide cheap.)

So if he's talking about the "1911's" under the counter at your local gun store, he's wrong about most of them. But he has a point about the original 1911A1 pistol. It doesn't handle hollow points because it wasn't designed for them, just like your car probably can't run on diesel fuel.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 1:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything I can add here has already been said.

Speaking from experience.

I have a Colt 19911A1 that I shoot 230 grain HydraShocks through. I havent ever had a problem.

I have shot Speer GD, Ball, Winchester USA, Triton(quikShock), Glazer, and CorBon through it and only had trouble with the CorBon. Of course it only happened once during a 3 box shoot of Corbon.

I bought it about four years ago. Plain Jane black matte finish.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 2:08pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loves the 45.

Never had a problem on any off the shelf moderrn 1911A1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everyone .

Just as a little hahaha funny bonus ... he was trying to tell me ALL 45 cal ammo was ball ammo . I am a little slow sometimes but I knew that was some complete bullshit .

I hate people .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 7:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Thank you everyone .

Just as a little hahaha funny bonus ... he was trying to tell me ALL 45 cal ammo was ball ammo . I am a little slow sometimes but I knew that was some complete bullshit .

I hate people .
    Tell him that technically he is right. Just that hollowpoints are ball ammo with a hole in the front.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 8:20pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he also tell you about how a .45 can knock down a charging soldier? I just love that one.

I guess he had never heard of a .45 semi-wadcutter or truncated cone, to name a few non-ball options....

Next up, a Glock will melt if left in a car window during summer and a 12 gauge will knock a person off a chair and through a wall.

I hate people more. ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 12:39am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Modern* 1911 pistols from a reputable manufacturer shouldn't have a problem with today's premium hollowpoint ammo, unless their barrels were custom built with very, very tight chambers.

The only hollowpoint that I can think of, that the above 1911 would have problems digesting, would be Speer's old "Classic" JHP load, which used a very wide-mouthed hollowpoint, and had a very aggressive profile. This is not the same bullet as today's premium Gold Dot, and was actually given the nickname of "The Flying Ashtray."

That load is no longer offered, so it's more of a moot issue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast