Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2002 9:38pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training shotokan karate for 7 months now - already done 2 gradings . I'm planning to add JUDO or BJJ. Which one is a better style?

What do you think of this link?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fight/judo/judovsbjj.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 4:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting link.

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 11:47am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, interesting article, but it leaves out many of the defeats Judokas suffered at the hands of BJJ stylists.

We've even got an old video of the Gracies mopping up an entire Judo Dojo to the point the instructor has to ask them to stop using Newaza because it's "too dangerous".

Both Judo and BJJ have strengths. I personally feel BJJ is more practical in situations where someone actually wants to kill you. The U.S. Military is instructing its soldiers in BJJ now.

Judo is primarily a sport martial art, whereas BJJ is designed to be of use in practical application. Yes, there are sport BJJ competitions, but the focus of the art itself is to allow a smaller, weaker opponent to defend against a stronger heavier attacker, which is what few martial arts (especially striking arts) can legitimately claim to do.
  5. Michael

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate agreeing with Phrost because he's wrong half the time (bwhahahahahaha.) but BJJ is usually more complete compared to Judo. Judo is more sports orientated these days and to tell you the truth so is BJJ but they deal with more technique.

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo Master Yoshida just kicked Royce Gracie's ass

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Alter he tried to kicked his ass. And HE HAD A LITLE HELP FROM THE REF. Did i say "LITLE" my mistake...I mean lot's of help.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to disagree with Phrost and Micheal

First off BJJ comes from Judo.

There are more SPORT BJJ schools I've seen then anything.

I've seen more pple defend themselves with Judo and win than BJJ. I've personaly have used Judo more than BJJ.

The way they are practiced now BJJ and Judo deal mainly with the SPORT aspect.

The majority of BJJ players are bandwagon jumpers. They learn the basics then go out and get their buts kicked, tales of 6 month BJJ gusy going out and kicking everyones butt have been LIES as far as I've seen. The students that have stuck around have had better results. The majority of the Judo players tend to stay with it for a while.

I've seen Judo as much better suited for self defense.

BJJ is good but if someone was actually trying to kill you then I would go for Judo, acutally I would go for a Berreta 92D.

>The U.S. Military is instructing its soldiers in BJJ now.

The ARMY is the only really incoporating BJJ, which I might had many pple disagree with. I am a ARMY combatives instructor. Myself and several others have raised the issue that newaza isn't a good idea for soldiers in full battle rattle. USMC has been looking into aspects of okinawan MA and Judo. All the combatives programs are still undergoing some changes sense they been implemented. The AF has also started some more MA training, not exactly sure what they are doing but they are hiring out to civilian instructors in Florida. From the segement on the training it seems pretty hard core. They train in a classroom/dojo enviorment then have practical exercises in a field enviorment.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

Edited by - Asia on September 12 2002 02:19:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Titan

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tell you what, I don't know why they didn't put Royler or Renzo against Yoshida, either of them would of FUCKING KILLED him seconds.
    Royce is just not good enough any more, he was pulling half gaurd for christ's sake !

I train BJJ, and have trained Judo, and I can say that as long as you train BJJ properly, ie. leave out the flashy sport ****, then it's 10 times better than Judo.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 6:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whys the army training in only bjj and Okinowa MA and judo. They should be training in JKD Concepts also, along with BJJ, to even it up.

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast