Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 10:44pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kodenkan Martial Arts Academy

The Kodenkan Martial Arts Academy of Tucson is run by Vince and Barry Holck ( Vince Holck is a co-founder of Kajukenbo as well). The school teaches a variety of different systems including Matsunoryu JuJutsu, Hiraido JuJutsu, Shorin and Goju Ryu, and Hung Gar.

The school as a whole is very alive in its training. In both Hiraido and Matsuno( the two systems I am studying there) the majority of the class is spent rolling/sparring( by majority I mean of the 2 hours about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hr 30 minutes is spent on sparring medium to full contact) while the beginning is spent doing pad and focus mit work.

Even the Goju ryu, Shorin ryu, and hung gar from what I heard is trained with surprising aliveness. The Goju and Shorin does have a huge focus on body conditioning, kata, and then medium to full contact sparring.

Although the school at its heart isnt a competition based school, alot of the Hiraido students do compete in grappling and sport jiu jitsu tournaments.

The price is very reasonable and the instruction is of very high quality and there are a ton of sparring partners to choose from in any one class.
    Last edited by Axelton; 2/03/2007 11:25pm at . Reason: Unfinished first post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 5:37pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good---
    If you have time, could you compare/contrast the the JJ styles you are working on?

Thanks.

BTW-- sorry, took several days for my query to post, so I did another one. And another one. Dooowlp!
    Last edited by metarat; 2/21/2007 12:28pm at .

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 4:24pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay Hiraido JuJutsu is a mix of Daido Juku, Matsunoryu Goshinjutsu, Judo, BJJ, and kickboxing. Matsunoryu Goshinjutsu is basically just standup but with a larger focus on groundfighting.

So the difference? Hiraido= more standup
    Matsuno= more groundfighting.

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 8:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hiraido Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Hiraido has more ground work. Some of the best groundwork guys are from the Hiraido classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 4:57pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know how the Arnis class is here?