Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 4:33pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh - either way, good to hear there's a BJJ club in Oxford now. Always handy to have more places I can recommend to people looking to train. :icon_wink

Speaking of Oxford, should hopefully be a throwdown there some time early next year: thread here. Cullion's still looking for a date and venue, I think (unless he's going to start doing that next year?).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:50am

Style: Kickboxing, Ex-ITF-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where abouts are these BJJ clases gonna be held btw? There is a variety of locations on that site (Kidlington would be good for me central Oxford less so)...what's the likely cost as well if you don't mind.

Or should I ask on the contact us?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 4:27am

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, will be Aviators Health Club in Kidlington. Prob Friday and Sunday evenings 7pm. More details to follow as soon as I catch up with Braulio again :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:13am

Style: Light continuous kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon
    The martial arts options around Oxford are fairly limited, and as far as I know, no BJJ to be found. There are a couple of oxford locals on the board (cullion and liokault) who might know more.
    I recently started at the uni judo club and it's awesome, as well as being dirt cheap - 10/month for brookes people. It also seems fairly newaza focussed, so lack of BJJ in the area shouldn't cause too much trouble. Last time I trained there, there was a guy who used to train BJJ in Australia so it looks like the judo club was the best he could find.
    Hmm, that was probably me... What was your name (ok, I've probably long since forgotten everyone's names there. What do you look like? :P)

I'd second the Judo club recommendation - cheap even if you're not a student, they work quite hard, and they have some very good players. Pretty much an all-male event though (which can sometimes be distracting when you're 10 metres away from the ballroom dancers).

On this BJJ thing in Kidlington - do you know yet (roughly?) how much lessons will cost? Also, can anyone who knows Oxford better than me suggest the best way of getting there by public transport from Cowley, and guesstimate how long it would take? (from near the industrial park - I presume I'll start by getting the 1 or 5 bus to the city centre)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shindo Jinen Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    Looking for some Sambo classes in Iowa. If none, anyone know of any Sambo Seminars that take place in the Midwest atleast. Thanks would be appreciated.
    Hello, Tyrsmann. There is a group in Kansas and Missouri, headed by Steve Scott, that teaches sambo. They may offer seminars from time to time. I believe the group goes by the name of "The Welcome Mat Judo Club" but they teach judo, shingitai jujitsu, and sambo. Their website may have more information regarding seminars.
    Catherine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oxford Martial arts are now taking names for the BJJ classes when they start, just got off the phone with them and they say it will be about 55 a month for 2 lessons a week.

Friday evening was going to be one day and the other they were not sure of (so I guess still Sunday).
    Last edited by solfish; 1/10/2008 9:04am at .

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds about average for BJJ Classes in the UK. I think Friday night classes may prevent them from gaining as many students as another night of the week though
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oxford is only about 1hr drive away from Braulio's place isn't it? It would be worth popping along there for lessons as much as possible, loads of amazing guys to roll with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobT
    Oxford is only about 1hr drive away from Braulio's place isn't it? It would be worth popping along there for lessons as much as possible, loads of amazing guys to roll with.
    Can you explain this to my wife? It's a bit more than an hour though to get to the center of Brum where I assume the gym is.

55 seems expensive to me especially compared to what I pay now but its what I expected for BJJ. Friday unfortunatly clashes with my current "MMA" class and Sunday will be difficult to do as well but I might give it a go for a month anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 12:35pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it wasn't so painfully expensive I'd be furiously rubbing my thighs right now :/
    Solfish, do you know if it's exclusively bjj in the classes, their website seemed to suggest they teach a mix of stuff each lesson?

Late reply to jinksy: I was the lanky pale guy who couldnt break your guard for 3 minutes :P
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast