Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragQueen
    can't say i'm enthused about the tai chi, but appreciate the help.
    Come and see before you make up your mind. You'll get some striking in with no-gi wrestling and takedowns.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't PM you yet because you haven't made enough posts. This is what I just tried to PM you:-

I completely understand your reluctance about Tai Chi.

Here is some video of people from the Oxford club I train at competing in San Shou :-

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/lotus_sweep.0.html

http://www.oxfordwudang.com/brush_knee.0.html
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I called and they said I could try a free class, and that they have contract options of one month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years. With any of these options I'll get a free gi.

I'll sign up for a month and see what happens.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Well I called and they said I could try a free class, and that they have contract options of one month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years. With any of these options I'll get a free gi.

I'll sign up for a month and see what happens.
    Now those are the type of contract options a school should have if they are using contracts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 1:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Now those are the type of contract options a school should have if they are using contracts.
    To be fair, it is cheaper the longer the contract, but it's still surprisingly liberal from a contract perspective.

Ill be checking out a class this coming Monday (8/13/2007).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A purple belt at my gym knows him and said he was very good.

Chemist

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis78
    There are a few places in Pensacola to train BJJ. They just advertise very badly.

I've trained over at the school you mentioned for about 5 months. I left for various reasons a while back, so I can't comment on how the school is now. They also train boxing there if you are looking for that.

Powerhouse Gym over on Creighton runs a BJJ school. The instructor is Pat Vito, who is a purple belt under Pedro Sauer. I go there now. It's a pretty good place to train. Every one's real laid back. They have class 6 days a week and the price is pretty good for BJJ. It's strictly BJJ, not an MMA gym.

Finally, one of the Aikido schools teaches BJJ once a week on Wednesdays. I haven't trained there, so again I can't comment on the quality of the school. I understand the instructor there is a purple belt.

I also know there are a few schools in the surrounding cities, like Gulf Breeze and Mobile. The local MMA scene is getting bigger. I know a few guys who fight regularly in Mobile.

Good luck in your search.

Otis.
    really......

I didn't know that the powerhouse gym has a BJJ class...

I thought that the pedro sauer guy was teaching at the boxing club

I practice BJJ at the Aikido school (Big Green Drum Dojo) and we do BJJ on Sunday and Wed nights for white belts, and monday and fridays for blue belts, and we also have a judo class on saturday and tuesday, our BJJ lineage is Brazilian Top Team, our black belt is Adriano Lucio
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 10:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hybrid MA, TKD, BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    really......

I didn't know that the powerhouse gym has a BJJ class...

I thought that the pedro sauer guy was teaching at the boxing club

I practice BJJ at the Aikido school (Big Green Drum Dojo) and we do BJJ on Sunday and Wed nights for white belts, and monday and fridays for blue belts, and we also have a judo class on saturday and tuesday, our BJJ lineage is Brazilian Top Team, our black belt is Adriano Lucio
    It turns out that there was a changing of the guard there. I'm not sure of all the circumstances. I've visited both schools now and viewed a class of each. I found some info about Alex Ruis online that he is pure bullshido and conned a lot of people. I'm not too pleased with the info I got.

The guys at Powerhouse were very nice. The instructor was out of town for the week, but the 2 top students spoke with me for about half an hour. I got phone numbers to take private lessons if that's how I wanted to start. The ONLY thing I didn't like about that location was the scheme to get you in the first place. They basically "rent" out the space from the Gym and you have to be a member of the gym to join the BJJ program. The gym's sales people didn't tell me the head instructor wasn't there and to come back for a full class the next week. Instead, they "took my name" and gave me the "first time visitor special price" of no enrollment fee and $30/month + $70/month BJJ. If I go back now, it's going to cost a $200 enrollment fee and $50/month + the 70.

That SCREAMED McDojo to me. I let the head students know about it. It's NOT the instruction that's doing the McDojo work. It's ONLY the big corporate gym. They said that this usually only happens when people come just for the BJJ class.

I have NO personal interest in joining the gym. My gym membership is paid up till February. My fiance's is up for about 16 months. And the gym is totally across town from where we work and we work out in the middle of the afternoon on our lunch break.

To get onto your dojo...

I hadn't gotten a chance to check green drum out. I was under the impression that classes were only held on Wednesday night. Sunday and wednesday work a lot better for me. My other sensei may be interested, too. He would have gone to powerhouse with me if not for the gym membership BS.

If you really like your school, please send me an email with how ya'll work there. I'm very interested since I'm not committed to anyone yet. uscmglover (at) hotmail (dot) com

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im liking the competition footage, only thing putting me off a bit is the bloke doing katas in the middle of it all, comes off a bit silly to be honest. Is there a general class routine you lads follow?

Obliged mate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carlos Terrinha is a great guy and good instructor. Although I haven't had the opportunity to train with him I've met him and his students at various competitions.
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast