226197 Bullies, 4048 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ATTENTION MARYLAND BULLIES

as per the op, i'm asking this here: is anyone familiar with the college park judo club in maryland?

http://www.collegeparkjudo.org/

i've got a friend in greenbelt who asked me about aikido, and i'm attempting to point her in a better direction. the search here turns up nothing, but their website passes all the tests i know to run: traditional judo pricing, good class length, mats look good, competitive (but not overly competitive), syllabus sounds right... but i'm no judoka and i can't go check it out myself.

anyone know a reason for me to not point her at the school?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 7:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sub-Grappling/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perth, Western Australia

Submission Fighting/No-Gi/MMA training at FitnessNFight Centre 18 Wellman St Northbridge.

Contacts or PM me.

Coaches are:
    Brian Ebersole(Shamrock Submission Fight Team), Marc Oakes, and Soa Palelie

Perthians, get on this one! We've got an great opurtunity for high-quality training right now. Great facility with a full equipped gym upstairs.

The gym also some some excellent Boxing and Muay Thai coaches in Ron Parr, Bobby Mayne, Daniel "The Rock" Dawson, and Darren Curovic.

Last edited by scocia; 7/06/2007 7:43am at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hybrid MA, TKD, BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pensacola, FL BJJ??? Heard of this place?

Here in podunk Pensacola, FL we don't have much in the ways of martial arts training. I'm currently studying what I like to call hybrid martial arts. I previously earned my 1st black in TKD some 10 or so years ago, but let study lapse...alas, starting from the beginning with the new style. We're learning TKD, a bit pf pressure points, joint locks, and some JJ for Orange(3rd belt) and above(my rank).

So, comes now, an interest in BJJ. We've only got one place in town teaching it and I can't find much info on them online.

http://www.pensacolaboxingacademy.com/index.html

I searched here http://jiu-jitsu.net and found it as all this junk:

Brazilian/Gracie Jiu JitsuAddress: Gulf Beach Hwy
    Pensacola, FL, FL 32506 Phone:8504580008Website:www.fightfaction.comE-mail:super_pirate@hotmail.comContact:Trey WigginsInstructor: Scott Yasson (rank: Purple)Self Defense, Vale Tudo, MMA, BJJ

The instructor from that search isn't their current instructor and I can't find his name anywhere. Alex Silva Ruis is their instructor.

Is there somewhere I can search for background and credentials on the instructor before taking the time to view classes?

The best benefit so far is the "academy" is 3 blocks from my house and their class schedule doesn't conflict with my other classes.

I'll be glad to take the newb thrashing here, too :new_cussi
    Last edited by UBCSclone; 7/11/2007 1:28pm at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few places in Pensacola to train BJJ. They just advertise very badly.

I've trained over at the school you mentioned for about 5 months. I left for various reasons a while back, so I can't comment on how the school is now. They also train boxing there if you are looking for that.

Powerhouse Gym over on Creighton runs a BJJ school. The instructor is Pat Vito, who is a purple belt under Pedro Sauer. I go there now. It's a pretty good place to train. Every one's real laid back. They have class 6 days a week and the price is pretty good for BJJ. It's strictly BJJ, not an MMA gym.

Finally, one of the Aikido schools teaches BJJ once a week on Wednesdays. I haven't trained there, so again I can't comment on the quality of the school. I understand the instructor there is a purple belt.

I also know there are a few schools in the surrounding cities, like Gulf Breeze and Mobile. The local MMA scene is getting bigger. I know a few guys who fight regularly in Mobile.

Good luck in your search.

Otis.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hybrid MA, TKD, BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Otis. I will probably see you over there within the next week or so. I'll observe a few classes before starting anywhere.

-mike

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking for a good judo or BJJ school around the Hartford/New Britain/Middletown areas of Connecticut, and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything that looks legit. One place is called Southern New England MMA and claims to be affiliated with the IMB academy, any opinions on whether or not it's legitimate? Other than that I can't seem to find anything useful, and I desperately want to learn better throwing techniques (tried aikido, some of the people I train with are awesome and will try to train with "aliveness" but they all have either jujutsu or karate/muay thai backgrounds. Basically I'm looking for something that will complement my kempo well. I would really appreciate the help, thanks guys.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 12:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    I'm spending 8 weeks at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. I'll have nights and weekends off and I'm looking for a place to train. I think Leonard wood is about an hour from both Springfield and St Louis, so night classes might be hard to make, but weekend classes are a definite. I've found a couple of links on google, but I wanted to hear any firsthand knowledge you guys might have.
    There's a martial arts club in Rolla, Mo that's meeting this summer. It's a bit of a drive, but the meeting times are really flexible. We're not real experienced grapplers, but if nothing else it'd be a good workout. Contact David Gorham, ddgbn4 at umr dot edu for more info.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ann Arbor, Michigan

University of Michigan Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Submission Wrestling Club:
    http://www.umich.edu/~armbar/
    -I train here during the school year.
    Focus Jiujitsu:
    http://www.focusjj.tv/
    -And here during the summers.
    Ann Arbor YMCA Judo Club:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/aajudo/
    -This is where I do Judo.
    Japanese Martial Arts Center:
    http://japanesemartialartscenter.com/
    -They have judo and some type of traditional jujutsu.
    ACE Academy of Martial Arts:
    http://www.aceacademyofmartialarts.org/class.html
    I believe this is mainly a Judo club, but they also seem to have an MMA program.
    EMU Judo Club:
    http://www.emich.edu/studentorgs/judo/index.html
    One of the purple belts from my BJJ club trains here.

Focus Jiu-jitsu and the UM Club are affiliates. The same instructor from Focus teaches the no-gi class at UM. Also, if you check the addresses, you'll notice that Focus, The Japanese Martial Center, and the ACE Academy are all on the same street. We also have a boxing club, an aikido dojo, a Kung Fu school, and a Taekwondo Dojang on that road.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 1:07am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have any info on Absolute Jiu Jitsu in North Hollywood, CA? I've read through the schools website, sounds decent and like a place I'd enjoy training. Unless someone here can provide me with some legitimate criticism, I'm going to check out the school. My main concern is that they don't name the instructors or give the instructors lineage.

Ground isn't my strength, but I'm pretty confident that I can smell bullshido given my background with the Dogbrothers and FCH. I'll keep y'all posted.

EDIT: (July 17, 2007)
    Nope, no bullshido here. Head instructor is Dartanian Bagby. Besides being a black belt in BJJ, he's a judo black belt, boxer and wrestler. Everyone there was really cool, they were working on judo throws when I arrived. Before I left, they put on 4 oz. MMA gloves and were rolling with punches for honesty. Dartanian definitely believes in pressure testing and live training. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun here...and a lot of pain. Sweetness.

Aloha, PoiDog
    Last edited by poidog; 7/18/2007 1:50am at .
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2007 8:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to keep buggin you guys about this stuff but I've found a listing for a school in West Hartford, Connecticut that's supposedly a Royce Grace owned Jiu Jitsu school. The web site is www.gracie-jiu-jitsu.com. Any idea on whether or not these new england branch Gracie schools are any good or anywhere NEAR the quality of the other Gracie family schools? Thanks in advance to any of you guys who are versed in the ways of bullshit detection.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast