Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 8:46pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Signing up for a year = suck. More generally, contracts = suck. I pay a similar amount, but it's month to month (that is, they're monthly payments but I can cancel at 30 days' notice).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 9:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just about every GB school(at least in the states) has instituted the same rules as far as I know. With that said, if they don't actually make you bow to pictures I don't think it's a huge deal. $156 a month for unlimited is pretty competitive, make sure you find out how easy/hard it is to get out of a potential contract. Also Babalu has some really good BJJ and top notch wrestling, and he's obviously a top notch MMA fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 9:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My GB school has the same breakdown of classes. But it's pretty loose.

The "Fundamentals" class is very structured and follows a cirriculum of techniques. Unless it's a free roll day, or practice tourney, the Fundamental is broken up evenly into: cardio warmup/down + some technique drills + live rolling.

The "Advanced" class is supposed to be for 3 stripes white belt and up, but a lower level newb can jump in if he asks, unless it is real crowded. It's less formal than the "Fundamentals", more live rolling time, and more open teaching environment.

The "Black Belt" class is even less formal, live training and there is always a couple black belts on the mat. Rolling stops at random times when someone wants to teach a technique, then everyone goes back to rolling and tries to work it into their game. It's the way I think this stuff is ultimately supposed to be taught. It's supposed to be for blues and up, but I have seen decent whites there too.

Don't we worry about the "official gi" thing. I still show up in my plain blue Atama, and nobody says anything. But it's good form to wear the patches at competition, since we have a strong team attitude when it comes to competing. So after you have been there a while, you will probably end up with the patches anyway.

We bow once before and after class usually, it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't have to memorize Japanese names of techniques, and/or meditate at the end of class I'm good.
    Last edited by Nihonto; 12/11/2008 10:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 10:26pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dokomoy
    Just about every GB school(at least in the states) has instituted the same rules as far as I know. With that said, if they don't actually make you bow to pictures I don't think it's a huge deal. $156 a month for unlimited is pretty competitive, make sure you find out how easy/hard it is to get out of a potential contract. Also Babalu has some really good BJJ and top notch wrestling, and he's obviously a top notch MMA fighter.
    Cool deal. Class went pretty good and the people seem pretty cool. Babalu wasn't there and seems he is on a mini vacation since he just fought. The black belt who was teaching, Freddy, was really friendly and enjoyed his class. Funny you should mention wrestling because one of the things we worked on was a double leg (of which with the 2 previous instructors i had we never practiced it).

And MOST importantly... no bowing to professor carlos gracie. =)

Thanks for the input guys and my mind is at ease now and don't really have to worry about if i'm overpaying.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be moving this thread here shortly as you seem satisfied with the responses and the feedback you received.

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 12:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any BJJ/Judo/Grappling schools in New York, preferably manhattan, brooklyn

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 2:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 3:20am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternately, you could hit NY Combat SAMBO in Manhattan.

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys

Posted On:
    1/17/2009 3:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diesel Gym, London

A relatively new Gym in London, but packed with experienced instructors.

Muay Thai - kru Cliff Bura
    MMA - Tommy "Gun" Gerald
    BJJ - Leo Negao

A fully equipped gym with weights, bags, boxing ring and huge matted area - Open 7 days a week. Definitely worth a shout out!

have a look at www.dieselgym.co.uk