Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 8:05am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HangmansJoke
    Apparently there are not very many Ohio/Indiana cats on these boards. Boo...
    I'm in Ohio - I suspect others are as well - but we're all busy enjoying the beautiful Ohio weather (a local will get the joke).

Team Jorge Gurgel - www.teamjorgegurgel.com West Chester, OH. (Near Cincinnati)
    I know someone who was training at Gurgel's about a year ago. He may still be, but our lives keep us from talking more than once a year or so.

Anyway, he liked Gurgel's and had good things to say about it. Based on his recommendation alone, I'd look the place up if I was down there.

These two schools seem to be very top notch but I am worried about acceptence (considering I have no training in BJJ or anything else for that matter,
    Ummmm, I don't understand this. You are paying them to teach you, so not having any BJJ experience shouldn't enter the picture. Besides, don't knock the wrestling. Its a great base from which you can specialize in any direction you want.

If you make it up to Akron, look my program up:

http://www.geocities.com/juszczec/shawJCCkarate.html
    http://myspace.com/juszczeckarate

One of my guys is a former wrestler (high school and maybe a year in college). He's a great example of the good stuff a wrestling background can do for you. Before he understood submissions and striking, he was tough. After 2 years of picking and choosing striking/submissions to complement his wrestling skill he's an absolute monster.

I couldn't be happier

Mark

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 2:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Looking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec
    I'm in Ohio - I suspect others are as well - but we're all busy enjoying the beautiful Ohio weather (a local will get the joke).

I know someone who was training at Gurgel's about a year ago. He may still be, but our lives keep us from talking more than once a year or so.

Anyway, he liked Gurgel's and had good things to say about it. Based on his recommendation alone, I'd look the place up if I was down there.

Ummmm, I don't understand this. You are paying them to teach you, so not having any BJJ experience shouldn't enter the picture. Besides, don't knock the wrestling. Its a great base from which you can specialize in any direction you want.

If you make it up to Akron, look my program up:

http://www.geocities.com/juszczec/shawJCCkarate.html
    http://myspace.com/juszczeckarate

One of my guys is a former wrestler (high school and maybe a year in college). He's a great example of the good stuff a wrestling background can do for you. Before he understood submissions and striking, he was tough. After 2 years of picking and choosing striking/submissions to complement his wrestling skill he's an absolute monster.

I couldn't be happier

Mark
    Thanks for the reply. If I am ever down that way, I will look you up. I only asked the acceptence issue becuase I have heard that a lot of programs require you to have some knowledge before entry. I didn't know if this program was anything like that, but it does not seem to be. Silly question I guess. hehe

I was a good wrestler in school, and I knew wrestlers were successful in MMA but I am curious on how the transistion is going from wrestling habits to BJJ mentality.

I am going to go check out that school next week, hopefully it works out for me.

Anybody else from Ohio attend any JiuJitsu schools, or Team Jorge Gurgel's Academy?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, I just went through this whole thread, and did not find any info about schools in Los Angeles, California.

I would love it if someone who knows the area of LA can tell me a good reliable place to go to learn. Sadly, my restrictions are huge because I live around East LA, and can't go far as North Hollywood or Santa Monica on a daily basis. All the places that are near me are usually karate, kendo, aikado, and such, so if someone who knows what to do in my situation can help me that would be a tremendous amount of help.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 5:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know of any good places near San Clemente, or toward Lake Forest/Irvine.
    So far, I've seen a Guillobel, Gracie Barra, OC Jiu Jitsu, and No Limits. Any suggestions between these?

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 9:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pavao BJJ

Hey, has anyone heard of Pavao BJJ in Kingston Upon Thames? If so does someone know of a web site for them. I don't seem to be able to find one or any info on the internet about them.

Cheers.

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 11:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone heard anything good about the LA Boxing franchise? They opened one up in my area not too long ago, renamed it "MK Boxing" and has been offering BJJ/MMA classes a couple nights a week. Here's a link to their site http://www.mkboxing.com/
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacedog
    To all,
    In honor of my fast approaching 37th birthday I've decided to start studying jujitsu. I boxed for a couple of years in college, did Chinese martial arts for awhile, etc. But at the end of the day my grappling was pretty much always a joke. I'd like to work on that.

That said, I know nothing about what constitutes a good jujitsu school. Hence my next question, are either the Yamasaki Academy or the Clinch Academy (Frederick, MD) decent schools?

Their websites are www.grappling.com and www.clinchacademy.com respectively.

Thank you for all responses in advance.

Cheers,
    Peacedog
    while it's likely too late: i don't know about either of those schools, but my school has a location in frederick, under a fantastic purple belt. http://www.jiujitsunow.com/locations.htm

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 10:25am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrestling at Oakland University

Besides all the Metro Detroit BJJ/Judo places to train already posted by McClaw and Moose, I found a wrestling club at Oakland University here. It looks like you don't have to be good at wrestling to go there.
    GUIZ THIS IS LIEK MY SIGNACHOOR LOLOL

:icon_roll

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for those in London (UK) who may be interested, Eddie Kone recently got his BJJ BB.

A reminder of his URL www.rgda-uk.com

Cheers

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloc
    Hey, has anyone heard of Pavao BJJ in Kingston Upon Thames? If so does someone know of a web site for them. I don't seem to be able to find one or any info on the internet about them.
    Pavao trains/teaches at the London Fight Factory some of the time and the guy is most definitely for real. He's got awesome BJJ ability and is a pretty funny dude as well as a good teacher.

I can't find the information about his class times on the net, but I'll ask him when I next see him and post it here.

EDIT: Found this thread: http://www.efnsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3220.0
    I'll check with him if the info is current and update accordingly, or you could just give him a ring.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 7/28/2008 3:27pm at .
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast