Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 8:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does payment work? Is it possible to just drop in on BJJ classes at KA or do you have to sign up for membership?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 9:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you talking beginner BJJ or advanced? Still, that sounds awesome as I was planning on training at Kombat Arts in the summer. Also, they added in a judo class on Wednesday too, according to the schedule. I cannot wait to get back home from university to train there.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 11:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the owners but I have seen people drop by and pay per class.

I think it's an open class and basically they'll see who shows up.

The have BJJ Wednesday night followed by Judo, which sounds great although my back may not agree.

Posted On:
    4/26/2008 12:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: gracie jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

carlos terrinhas school

i am one of carlos terrinhas blue belt students and i have been with him for 3 years and won many many tournaments under his coaching including 5 mass state titles and 2 naga title he is legit and he just placed 2nd in 2008 pan am championships he is one of the only credible teachers around here i train with him in ri and mass come try out a class

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is kind of old. But if anyone is interested the pan am results are at:

http://www.ibjjf.org/results/2008pan.htm

And yes, Terrinha won second place.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 9:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training BJJ at Linxx on/off for 2 years now but because of deployments+underway time I maybe have 1year of total training time.

Why I chose Linxx:
    I first heard of Linxx when I was going through the Non-Compliant Boarding-VBSS school. All of the instructors are either Linxx instructors or senior students from Linxx.
    Having zero martial arts experience prior to NCB school(other than the standard Navy security fare) I went and checked out some of the other schools to continue training and expand what little I had learned in those 3 weeks of school. I have to say there are some really good schools in the area but Linxx seemed the better fit for me for personal reasons because other guys from my squad were already training there, it's only 15 minutes from my house, and having a big military student base they are very willing to work with you and credit you for underway times so that you are not paying for training that you are not getting.

Facility: The school is fairly big with two mat areas(side by side) a small boxing ring and a rig with multiple heavybags. These are all visible on the website. The locker room is always clean but has no lockers(except for staff), instead relying a box shelf system for students to put their belongings in. The only downside to the facility is the parking. Because of the new location and higher visibility of the school the class sizes have almost doubled making the 15 minutes between the muy thai class and BJJ class a parking nightmare. More importantly than all of that, the mats get cleaned multiple times a day.

Staff: There are 4 Blackbelts, 3 Browns(might be off by one or two) and numerous Purples. They are all good guys and are always willing to answer any questions and work after class with you if you have any areas you feel need more work.

Classes: Gi classes are held Mon, Wed, Fri 7:15-8:15pm and Tue,Thur,Sat 12:00-1:00. The Tue/Thur/Sat classes are mixed levels. Additionally those times are for the beginner classes. Advanced (blue belt+) are listed supposed to be 15 minutes longer but almost always run to at least 9pm. Class consists of the standard 15 minute warmup and then 30-45 minutes of technique followed by rolling. Because the beginner mat has to be cleared by 8:30 for the Capoeira guys, the white belts are allowed and encouraged to switch mats when their class ends to roll with the advanced class.
    No-Gi classes are also mixed level and are held Tue,Thur 7:15-8:30pm.

Because of the high number of senior belts (relative to the rest of the local area) there is usually a black belt or brown belt instructing each class. Occasionally the beginners are taught by a senior purple. I personally found that having multiple instructors helped my game because everybody has a slightly different way of doing things so I was able to see the techniques from different perspectives.

Since this is my first time posting and never having written anything near a review before I hope this helps.

Edit for spelling

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from the first afternoon, I am pretty damn happy, it's exactly what I need know as far as concentrating on the small technical things.

Today was the first afternoon class with about 10 people, excellent size, I selfishly hope that they don't get more than another 5 people coming.

Also no Yahoos everyone is cool and just trying to learn and not spazz out.

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 2:11pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shhhhh...Goju Joe

You might want to keep it quiet and avoid adjectives like "happy" and "excellent"
    Or you will see them come pouring out of the woodwork like cockroaches. Especially spazzes who hate spazzing yahoos, who like excellent happy times.

Congrats! I'm now looking for a midday class myself. If you see a downside or
    side- effects let us know. (like night terrors, twitches ect.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good schools: Yamasaki Academy or the Clinch Academy

To all,
    In honor of my fast approaching 37th birthday I've decided to start studying jujitsu. I boxed for a couple of years in college, did Chinese martial arts for awhile, etc. But at the end of the day my grappling was pretty much always a joke. I'd like to work on that.

That said, I know nothing about what constitutes a good jujitsu school. Hence my next question, are either the Yamasaki Academy or the Clinch Academy (Frederick, MD) decent schools?

Their websites are www.grappling.com and www.clinchacademy.com respectively.

Thank you for all responses in advance.

Cheers,
    Peacedog

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Looking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently there are not very many Ohio/Indiana cats on these boards. Boo...

I am a current phase of pulling out my hair because I can not find a good school to attend because of lack of funds. If only I was rich..

Anyway.. I was hoping for any input of a couple schools that are expensive for my tastes, but I will just have to save up those pennies and dimes.

Team Jorge Gurgel - www.teamjorgegurgel.com West Chester, OH. (Near Cincinnati)

&

Indiana Brazilian JuJitsu Academy - www.ibjja.com Indianapolis, IN.

These two schools seem to be very top notch but I am worried about acceptence (considering I have no training in BJJ or anything else for that matter, except a wrestling background in highschool.) and obviously travel expenses. Input on other schools around my area would be valued highly to. I live on the borderline of Indiana and Ohio. Union City, IN. Just to clarify.

Thanks for any input that I may aquire from any of you. Greatly appreciated.
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 ... LastLast