Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 10:45am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been playing around with the My Maps section of Google Maps, and in the process of producing a map for all the BJJ clubs in the UK (or at least, the ones I'm able to Google) - up on my blog here. It would seem if people could get some kind of global version of that going (there's an opton on Google Maps to collaborate, so this could be a something a bunch of people could work on), then perhaps that could somehow be embedded into the grappling section and used instead of this thread?

There's already a list for San Diego, thanks to Caleb (which is where I got the idea from).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2008 11:37am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Akron, Ohio

American Arts Karate and Jujutsu
    at
    Akron Shaw Jewish Community Center
    750 White Pond Drive
    Akron, Oh

website: http://www.geocities.com/juszczec/shawJCCkarate.html
    myspace: http://www.myspace.com/juszczeckarate
    email: mark.juszczec@gmail.com

Our training blends traditional and eclectic martial arts. The workouts include some fitness training (because the better shape you are in, the better you can apply your skills) but the main emphasis is skill development thru partner drills and sparring.

Beginners will learn in a safe, friendly environment from expert instructors. Experienced people can explore new material or continue to hone their existing skills.

We don't take a cookie cutter approach to teaching. You decide the direction of your training:

* you can train striking only
    * you can train grappling only
    * you can mix both martial arts
    * you can continue practicing what you learned elsewhere

Our open minded approach and experienced instructors allow us customize your training to your needs. We don't force our participants into the same mold. Everyone is different and one approach to training does not fit all.

We help you identify and develop your unique strengths. And since we feel you learn best by doing, partner drills and sparring make up the majority of our training.

Speaking of sparring, some people want very controlled contact with their training partner. Some people want a more "no holds barred" approach. We allow you and your training partner to establish the "ground rules" before you start training together. This includes level of contact, acceptable techniques and allowable targets.

If you are someone who desires heavy contact, don't worry about only having training partners who want very limited contact. We have more than enough participants to accommodate your unique needs too.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 6:43am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having a search around the custom maps, I notice there are also ones for Pittsburgh (by Frodo from sherdog, who posts on here as something similar, IIRC. Judo and general grappling rather than just BJJ), San Diego (by Caleb, from the Fightworks Podcast) and Florida (some guy listed as 'Gary').There's also this big one simply called 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gyms' by somebody posting as 'Misho', which as far as I can tell is a whole load of places around the US.

I presume there is some quick way of sticking those all together - I know you can add them to the 'My Maps' bit on Google and tick a box, but as far as I'm aware that's limited to your personal Google profile and therefore isn't linkable.

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eduardo 'DUDU' Barros

Hey everyone,

I just introduced myself at Newbietown but I did have a question and figured this would be the best forum to post it in. The other day I was looking for any grappling classes here in Akron and I found http://www.dudubarrosjj.com/. To me this looks amazing and I'm planning on calling there this week to find out more but what do you guys know about him? Anyone been to his class?
    Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CirJuly85

Quote Originally Posted by CirJuly85
    The other day I was looking for any grappling classes here in Akron and I found http://www.dudubarrosjj.com/. To me this looks amazing and I'm planning on calling there this week to find out more but what do you guys know about him? Anyone been to his class?
    Thanks
    I'm in the Akron area, see the plug I made for my club earlier in the thread.

I know one guy who's trained with Barros and says he's phenomenal at BJJ.

One of my guys went down there for some cross training and agrees, Barros does great BJJ.

AFAIK, he's the only guy in Akron offering BJJ in and of itself. There are some local MMA gyms that incorporate grappling, but Barros is the only guy teaching strictly BJJ. I might be wrong, because I don't get out much.

BTW, if you wind up training at Barros', you can still drop in on my workouts to roll with people you don't see every training session, week in and week out.

Variety is the spice of life :qgreenjum

Hope this helps.

Mark
    Last edited by juszczec; 3/12/2008 3:04pm at .

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys. I was thinking about taking BJJ back up, and there's a school obscenely close to my boxing gym.

http://www.precisionkarate.com/

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    3/12/2008 6:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, at least the website is ugly as hell.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply Mark and I'm sure I'll make it down to your school at some point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2008 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CirJuly85
    Thanks for the reply Mark and I'm sure I'll make it down to your school at some point.
    I hope you do. We take a unique approach to training and more people seem to enjoy it than not.

Here's our website and myspace:

http://www.geocities.com/juszczec/shawJCCkarate.html
    http://myspace.com/juszczeckarate

If you've got any questions, email me at mark.juszczec@gmail.com

Mark

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2008 8:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kicking Bulimia Victims

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.redbearsambo.com/instructor.html

I want to check out some Sambo, because it looks cool as hell, and to crosstrain my BJJ. The guy seems legit, he fought Fedor in some Sambo world championships (and lost, duh). Does anyone train here?

I'll porbably shoot the guy an email about attending one of his classes. Also a question about Sambo, what the hell is up with the belts and gis?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast