Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wearing a vest all day is a recipe for orthopedic disasters. They will wreak havoc on your postural muscles and lead to postural distortions such as the dreaded upper-crossed syndrome that will eventually lead to severe pain syndromes and biomechanical inefficiencies up and down the kinetic chain. I have read about old timers wearing the vests for a week at a time and I believe it was steve justa who wrote about wearing one all day at work for a month. They got decent results, but not great results.
    Weight vests are best utilized for enhancing bodyweight exercises such as burpees, pushups, pullups, ring exercises etc... Wearing them for short intense bouts of enhanced body weight training yeilds great results. You dont have to limit it to bodyweight exercises, as they work very well with many kettlebell movements and to make things like farmers walks and clubbell swinging more difficult, by all means be creative, but keep in mind that extended use will be detrimental to your musculo-skeletal system

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 2:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Goku wore a weighted backpack. Piccolo is the one who wore the closest thing to a weighted vest.
    Are we talking about the anime or the manga?

Iíve only seen the first few plot archís in the anime, but didnít Goku have a weighted vest he wore under his shirt and weighted boots?

And Piccolo had a weighted robe and turban.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:45am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    I think it's much along the lines of why you don't practice chest passes with a medicine ball in or to get ready for a basketball game. It throws you off.
    Ahh k. I thought it was an attempt at a joke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:23pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    You're not fucking Goku.
    I want to say this to everyone that even thinks about getting a weighted vest.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure why would anyone wear one. Not even for weighted chin ups. I rather use a belt with chained weights than having weights over and around my shoulders and torso. Safer IMO.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:15pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ross Enamait has some drills he uses for his conditioning that use weighted vests, but most of the time, he advocates only using bodyweight.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, the weights come after you can outrun the t-rex and shark and deliver milk all day, ftw. you'll never learn Fuuton:RasenShuriken that way, DUH.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123