232852 Bullies, 3915 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 93
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. whitebelt.au is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 11:24am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Unsure...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Is this one of Lee's angels?
    Good grief, is she real or photoshopped? She sure is beautiful. Wish I was good looking enough to get a girlfriend like her!
  2. FickleFingerOfFate is offline
    FickleFingerOfFate's Avatar

    Guess which finger is the fickle one...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Up in your grill.
    Posts
    5,645

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:31pm

    supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebelt.au
    Good grief, is she real or photoshopped? She sure is beautiful. Wish I was good looking enough to get a girlfriend like her!
    The .au stands for autistic, doesn't it.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

    The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.


  3. whitebelt.au is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:17am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Unsure...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate
    The .au stands for autistic, doesn't it.
    Your forgot the question mark.

    Alright, you got me. Settle for Asperger's Syndrome? :icon_neut
  4. odojang is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    11/17/2007 1:26pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now back to our program...

    Thank you for the Tae Kyon videos. very interesting , even enlightening.

    It started some toughts in fact... especially in regard of the disputed influence of Tae Kyon in the birth of Taekwon-Do:

    I started learning Taekwon-Do in 1974. From the very start, I learned to strike and parry with the same explosive (tuuung!) way as portrayed and explained by that master: total relaxation with complete muscular contraction only at the moment of impact in perfect synchronisation with the shift of body weight.

    In 1981, the sinewave movement was defined along with more insistence on specific breathing control, all to amplify and coordinate this.

    I was told however that all of this wasn't the way it has been taught before 1970's, that before the dissociation with the Korean government, it was more karate-like (full tenseness and more pronounced limb-arming and hip rotations).

    So I wonder; was this:

    - The result of serious study to ''return to the source'' (Tae Kyon and/or Korean way of fighting)?

    - a more openly assumed fundamental principle momentarily occulted by the early Japanese influence?

    - a coincidental developement along parallel lines (reinventing the wheel) following the scientific research done by the masters over the last decades?

    - A combination of some or all of those factors?

    One thing I am sure: the way the Tae Kyon master strikes and describe the strikes is what I do have learned... and I never learned any Tae Kyon.

    Still hoping for further enlightenment...
  5. TEA is offline
    TEA's Avatar

    Charlie Don't Surf

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    BFNTX
    Posts
    2,773

    Posted On:
    11/17/2007 2:30pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hay Kayzu, mai gnaim iz djzhou ahnd eyem phrawm Owst'in T'aekxesu. Eye dh'oned zpael berry oueil eyeder. Phuk dem, itz awl jiusta kahnvensioun.
    Last edited by TEA; 11/17/2007 2:32pm at .
  6. Miguksaram is offline
    Miguksaram's Avatar

    Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,523

    Posted On:
    11/19/2007 8:43am

    supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odojang

    - The result of serious study to ''return to the source'' (Tae Kyon and/or Korean way of fighting)?
    In order to go back to the source you are assuming that the people of the Ohdokwan, more specificly Gen. Choi, learned Taekkyon. To this date there is not hardcore evidence that Choi ever learned Taekkyon, outside of him stating that he did.

    Quote Originally Posted by odojang
    - a more openly assumed fundamental principle momentarily occulted by the early Japanese influence?
    Why would it be occulted by Japanese influence? Keep in mind that Ohdokwan is Japanase Shotokan. So if anything it wouldn't have been occulted. Japanese would have been the major influence of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by odojang
    - a coincidental developement along parallel lines (reinventing the wheel) following the scientific research done by the masters over the last decades?
    Isn't it always that way? I would say yes, this is nothing more that putting what already existed into scientific terms. Sort of like debunking the mysticism of chi with scientific explaination. (Sorry the Chi-balls don't really exist........and neither does Santa)

    Quote Originally Posted by odojang
    One thing I am sure: the way the Tae Kyon master strikes and describe the strikes is what I do have learned... and I never learned any Tae Kyon.

    Still hoping for further enlightenment...
    Of course, I learned very similar principles as well and never studied Taekkyon. These principles are inhert in all martial arts.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  7. odojang is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    11/19/2007 7:05pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    '' In order to go back to the source you are assuming that the people of the Ohdokwan, more specificly Gen. Choi, learned Taekkyon. To this date there is not hardcore evidence that Choi ever learned Taekkyon, outside of him stating that he did.''



    I agree. However, the similarities are striking. I studied also a number of Karate-Do styles over the years, including Shotokan; none of them ever came close to what I learned in Taekwon-Do as much as what I saw in those Taekyon videos.



    '' Why would it be occulted by Japanese influence? Keep in mind that Ohdokwan is Japanase Shotokan. So if anything it wouldn't have been occulted. Japanese would have been the major influence of it.''


    Why or how, I don't know. That' why I asked. I can only wonder at the similitude between to arts that so many claim unrelated, when the same people so easily relate Taekwon-Do with Karate-Do where the differences are much more striking.
    This is where I disagree. There is no denying that Shotokan Karate-Do is at the roots of Taekwon-Do. Serious historical sources support the fact that Taekwon-Do started out pretty close to what Karate-Do was and still is.
    However, the decades of R&D in the Taekwon-Do I have learned has brought it significantly far away from it's original roots as to become definitely something else.
    I know first hand because I studied Karate for over 5 years and Shotokan style the most (about 2 years). Even the similar techniques are not done at all the same way because of different principles of power, methods of training and approach to combat. I still have friends in Karate-Do and we always have a keen interest to compare our important differences among the few similitudes we still have.
    I also trained in Olympic TKD for 3 years (just as it became Olympic). There indeed I found the same thing as I learned in Karate (techniques, execution, power principles), albeit some very minor differences. On that account I would agree with your assessment. But, as far as I know, the Oh Do Kwan school was not at the roots of Kukkiwon style.
    However, I cannot say I am familiar with the old Oh Do Kwan school. General Choi never reffered to his original Oh Do Kwan when he talked of Taekwon-Do in the last 30 years of his life, each time I met him. He called his style Chang Hon (his pen name). That may explain your perception as well as mine: we are not talking about the same style.
    Again, I immediately recognized what I have learned in the Taekyon segment, much more than I ever did when studying Karate-Do.
    Fact is, I can't count how many times I had to discuss/explain/disagree/shut-my-mouth about this and that technique with my Karate teachers because what I had learned in Taekwon-Do was different even to the point of being the opposite (most of all the power principles).



    Of course, I learned very similar principles as well and never studied Taekkyon. These principles are inhert in all martial arts.


    Strange then that I never found them in all the styles of Karate-Do I learned from excellent teachers. Boxing is even closer to the kind of Taekwon-Do I learned (sinewave-synchronisation-breath and muscle control) despite the fact that it doesn't apply the leading hip rotation/reaction force pulling/torque/concentrated point of impact that Karate-Do brought to Taekwon-Do (and even that has been done differently for quite some time now).
    Again, I can't tell how many times I was corrected in Karate when I did the Tuuuunnnng! instead of the yaaaaaaaahhhh...

  8. Rhinoringo is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    2/02/2008 7:10pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Art work

    Very good art work....
  9. Bigzilla is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 1:57am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Also, keep in mind that both Yun Byung-in and Hwang Ki claimed to have studiend Chaun Fa in Manchuria.
    YOON, Byung In (ChuanFa/Shito-Ryu/Shdokan/Jidokwan/Chang Moo Kwan), YON, Kwai Byeong (ChuanFa/Shito-Ryu/Shdokan/Jidokwan) and CHUN, Sang Sup (Shotokan/ChuanFa/Jidokwan) all had ChuanFa experience accroding to all Kwan founders and seniors. Hwang Ki, like Gen. Choi is doubted by the rest of the Kwan founders and seniors.

    Bigzilla
  10. Bigzilla is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Posted On:
    2/05/2008 2:25am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odojang
    '' In order to go back to the source you are assuming that the people of the Ohdokwan, more specificly Gen. Choi, learned Taekkyon. To this date there is not hardcore evidence that Choi ever learned Taekkyon, outside of him stating that he did.''



    I agree. However, the similarities are striking. I studied also a number of Karate-Do styles over the years, including Shotokan; none of them ever came close to what I learned in Taekwon-Do as much as what I saw in those Taekyon videos.



    '' Why would it be occulted by Japanese influence? Keep in mind that Ohdokwan is Japanase Shotokan. So if anything it wouldn't have been occulted. Japanese would have been the major influence of it.''


    Why or how, I don't know. That' why I asked. I can only wonder at the similitude between to arts that so many claim unrelated, when the same people so easily relate Taekwon-Do with Karate-Do where the differences are much more striking.
    This is where I disagree. There is no denying that Shotokan Karate-Do is at the roots of Taekwon-Do. Serious historical sources support the fact that Taekwon-Do started out pretty close to what Karate-Do was and still is.
    However, the decades of R&D in the Taekwon-Do I have learned has brought it significantly far away from it's original roots as to become definitely something else.
    I know first hand because I studied Karate for over 5 years and Shotokan style the most (about 2 years). Even the similar techniques are not done at all the same way because of different principles of power, methods of training and approach to combat. I still have friends in Karate-Do and we always have a keen interest to compare our important differences among the few similitudes we still have.
    I also trained in Olympic TKD for 3 years (just as it became Olympic). There indeed I found the same thing as I learned in Karate (techniques, execution, power principles), albeit some very minor differences. On that account I would agree with your assessment. But, as far as I know, the Oh Do Kwan school was not at the roots of Kukkiwon style.
    However, I cannot say I am familiar with the old Oh Do Kwan school. General Choi never reffered to his original Oh Do Kwan when he talked of Taekwon-Do in the last 30 years of his life, each time I met him. He called his style Chang Hon (his pen name). That may explain your perception as well as mine: we are not talking about the same style.
    Again, I immediately recognized what I have learned in the Taekyon segment, much more than I ever did when studying Karate-Do.
    Fact is, I can't count how many times I had to discuss/explain/disagree/shut-my-mouth about this and that technique with my Karate teachers because what I had learned in Taekwon-Do was different even to the point of being the opposite (most of all the power principles).



    Of course, I learned very similar principles as well and never studied Taekkyon. These principles are inhert in all martial arts.


    Strange then that I never found them in all the styles of Karate-Do I learned from excellent teachers. Boxing is even closer to the kind of Taekwon-Do I learned (sinewave-synchronisation-breath and muscle control) despite the fact that it doesn't apply the leading hip rotation/reaction force pulling/torque/concentrated point of impact that Karate-Do brought to Taekwon-Do (and even that has been done differently for quite some time now).
    Again, I can't tell how many times I was corrected in Karate when I did the Tuuuunnnng! instead of the yaaaaaaaahhhh...

    I have been fortunate enough to have asked the following Taekwondo men, in person, about Taekkyons influence on Taekwondo:

    KIM, Soon Bae (Chang Moo Kwan President)
    KANG, Won Sik (Song Moo Kwan President)
    LEE, Chong Woo (2nd most Jidokwan senior alive)
    LEE, Kyo Yoon (Han Moo Kwan Founder)

    They all stated that:

    - no Kwan founders, or seniors were ever students of Taekkyon, or practiced Taekkyon.
    - CHOI, Hong Hi never learned Taekkyon, or Shotokan, he learned from NAM, Tae Hi
    - Kwan seniors saw Taekkyon kicking, and new of it's kicking legend, and worked to add additional kicking skills to the Karate they learned.

    LEE, Yong Bok

    - Leader of Taekkyon in Korea
    - Founder of the Korea Taekkyon Assoc and the new World Taekkyon Federation
    - Direct ADULT students of both SONG, Duk Ki and SHIN, Heang Sang
    - Worlds most promenient Taekkyon reasearcher
    - 6th Dan in Taekwondo Chang Moo Kwan/Kukkiwon (retired)

    LEE, Yong Bok states that no Taekwondo founders or seniors ever learned Taekkyon, nore included it into Taekwondo, with the exception of a Master LIM from Michigan, who attempted to insert a handfull of elelments of Taekkyon into the Poomsae Koryo #2, however, those elements were incorrect, as Master LIM only trained a few times with SONG and did not have much knowledge of Taekkyon.

    Next, I practiced Taekkyon for several years under LEE, Yong Bok and I can tell you from personal experience, that the leg movements in Taekkyon, are in radical contrast to those of Taekwondo. Not very related at all. To give you a sense of it, Taekkyon kick motion is designed not to strike (Kyuk) but to Push (Milgi). Taekkyon is trying for a fast, strong push with all kick skills. Only at High level Dan (yes, modern Taekkyon adopted Dan rank and lower call Poom (like Geup), do students learn about Kyuk or hard strikes.

    Bigzilla
    Last edited by Bigzilla; 2/05/2008 2:32am at .
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.