Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 1:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll read it soon, real soon.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    2/21/2010 6:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed you studied the praying mantis style; what was your opinion of it in regards to its effectiveness for self defence and against western boxing?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 2:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Shaolin Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So from what I understand, you took your kung-fu into the sport of MMA.
    It's cool that you wanted to do that, and achieved your goal.

Personally I never joined the martial arts for that. To compete and do things like that. I practice because I'm fascinated with he art I use, and I can use it to keep the goons from robbing me and kicking my ass all over the fucking street.

My Sifu is a traditionalist, and my school is a traditional school. So joining an MMA gym using the style I know would be frowned upon. But I don't want to do MMA in the first place. I didn't get in the martial arts for that.

I've been rambling on about me, I'm sorry. I think its awesome that you set a goal and worked hard to achieve it. I think its awesome that you want to test your Kung -Fu against other styles. I'm no competitor so I really can't speak on that. But keep on keepin on dude.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 3:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_(Xiao en) View Post
    So from what I understand, you took your kung-fu into the sport of MMA.
    It's cool that you wanted to do that, and achieved your goal.

Personally I never joined the martial arts for that. To compete and do things like that. I practice because I'm fascinated with he art I use, and I can use it to keep the goons from robbing me and kicking my ass all over the fucking street.

My Sifu is a traditionalist, and my school is a traditional school. So joining an MMA gym using the style I know would be frowned upon. But I don't want to do MMA in the first place. I didn't get in the martial arts for that.

I've been rambling on about me, I'm sorry. I think its awesome that you set a goal and worked hard to achieve it. I think its awesome that you want to test your Kung -Fu against other styles. I'm no competitor so I really can't speak on that. But keep on keepin on dude.
    No, when I did Kung-fu MMA technically didn't exist. I had no interest in fighting I was a kid. I just happened to be over 12 years when MMA/NHB rolled around. Why change my style? I don't see bjj changing their style. What I did is adapt my training and kept an open mind about things. Traditional should not mean stagnant. If your style is stagnant you style is dead. Simple enough.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/23/2010 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this makes no sense and shows how little you know about kung fu.

my school is traditional, and that didn't stop us from competing in sanda, lei tai and yes even MMA.

my sifu is traditional, yet he had no issue cross training in judo, and shooto. when i wanted to cross train at an MMA school, he encouraged me to do so. when i wanted to take a break from kung fu to devote myself to judo he encouraged me. do you see a pattern?

if you don't test your skills against other styles under minimal rules, then your skills are untested. it has nothing to do with being "traditional", and is all about not being stagnant (as omega said.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 5:13am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides, Chinese martial arts (up until the culture-rape of the Communists) practiced hard-hitting sparring and competitive (and occasionally fatal) fighting as par for the course. They fought all the time. They all thought you couldn't do **** until you proved it. The idea that fighting is not part of 'traditional' Chinese martial arts at all but the product of the tradition's destruction.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 7:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your instructor is not a traditionalist. Your instructor, if American, is using cookie cutter philosophy. Why? As Socratic has pointed out many old school, traditional, instructors competed in tournaments. MANY.

If you need references or people to look up there are many myths, legends and research that bears this out.

Also, as Ming pointed out traditional instructors cross trained. Many of the so called great masters, didn't learn the same style from one person. They learned Xingy from person A, received a letter of recommendation and trained with person B. They then moved on and learned from person C. Eventually, they founded their own style and like Omega, took what they knew and taught it all together or separately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 9:18am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Your instructor is not a traditionalist. Your instructor, if American, is using cookie cutter philosophy. Why? As Socratic has pointed out many old school, traditional, instructors competed in tournaments. MANY.
    I think what he means by traditionalist is that you keep your kung fu to yourself, dont show outsiders, dont support other schools or styles.

Even with those strict teachers they encourage fighting so long as you dont say you like other styles. The ones that dont want you to fight and represent the school or system well, I really have no idea why they teach unless its for their own ego and wallet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Shaolin Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    I think what he means by traditionalist is that you keep your kung fu to yourself, dont show outsiders, dont support other schools or styles.
    This is pretty much it. This is what I meant about traditional.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 10:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is pretty much it. This is what I meant about traditional.
    That's exactly what I thought you meant and what I addressed.

It is a weird phenomena that occurred. It is funny how you have all of these "clans" and instructors trading mixing and creating styles. Suddenly, "traditionalist" started hiding and marking forms.

Money.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think it is BS.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast